95 R modifications

RossSVT

Established Member
Who has mod'ed their 95 R's and what have you done.

I am planning to take the R racing this year and ready to mod. Seeing how no one really wants to buy. Might as well drive it as it was intended. :-D

Looking at Seats and harness system.
X-pipe and cat back
Tune
Shifter
cold air

What have you done? Can't seem to find an X pipe to fit the 351 W in a 95.

Suggestions on alignment etc. would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have an X pipe on mine. I believe it is a BBK. I also have a Magnaflow catback. There is some minor work that has to be done to make the catback clear the fuel cell. I believe the X pipe went right on. Either way I would order the parts for a regular Cobra. A competent exhaust shop should be able to handle any minor adjusting.

As far as other mods;

Edelbrock 70mm throttle body
60lb injectors
255 lph fuel pump
Performance Dist. wires
Crane Fireball ignition
Vortec S Trim
Pro 5.0 shifter
various Autometer gauges
MM rear control arms
MM subframe connectors

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
Either way I would order the parts for a regular Cobra.

This is a fact that many are not aware of^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The 1995 1/2 Cobra R Specific Parts List does not show any exhaust related items, except the headers as "95R only." I found this to be a fact when I was under one of my 95 2-Tops a couple of months ago. The factory H-pipe on my 5.0L 95 and the H-pipe on my 95R had the same "ART" identifier on their foil stickers attached to the drivers side portion of the pipe. The right and left side muffler and tailpipe assy.'s are the same way with matching part numbers. While comparing the two cars side-by-side the fuel cell on the 95R was shaped so it would clear the factory tail pipes, so no R specific parts were needed.

So paying huge $$$ for exhaust items, (other than maybe the original headers) for original 95R exhaust parts is not necessary as the parts are the same for the regular production 94/95 5.0L Cobra and actually the the muffler and tail pipe assy.'s are shared with the Mustang GT of the same years, w/manual trans. FWIW. The only time this might not apply is if someone is specifically looking for "dates", however, there were plenty of regular production 95 Cobras and manual trans. GT's built during this time period, the only problem is, finding nice pieces.

R

Last edited:

RossSVT

Established Member
Robert M said:
This is a fact that many are not aware of^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The 1995 1/2 Cobra R Specific Parts List does not show any exhaust related items, except the headers as "95R only." I found this to be a fact when I was under one of my 95 2-Tops a couple of months ago. The factory H-pipe on my 5.0L 95 and the H-pipe on my 95R had the same "ART" identifier on their foil stickers attached to the drivers side portion of the pipe. The right and left side muffler and tailpipe assy.'s are the same way with matching part numbers. While comparing the two cars side-by-side the fuel cell on the 95R was shaped so it would clear the factory tail pipes, so no R specific parts were needed.

So paying huge $$$ for exhaust items, (other than maybe the original headers) for original 95R exhaust parts is not necessary as the parts are the same for the regular production 94/95 5.0L Cobra and actually the the muffler and tail pipe assy.'s are shared with the Mustang GT of the same years, w/manual trans. FWIW. The only time this might not apply is if someone is specifically looking for "dates", however, there were plenty of regular production 95 Cobras and manual trans. GT's built during this time period, the only problem is, finding nice pieces.

R

Thanks for the info Robert, however, the 5.8 L has, if I am not mistaken, a 1" higher deck height. This would make installing an X pipe from a 5.0 L approximately 1" short and may hit the floor boards. This is what I am concerned with.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
RossSVT said:
Thanks for the info Robert, however, the 5.8 L has, if I am not mistaken, a 1" higher deck height. This would make installing an X pipe from a 5.0 L approximately 1" short and may hit the floor boards. This is what I am concerned with.

What Mark has stated above is what I have heard also. This is one of the things that made the 95R factory headers 95R specific. There had to be some exhaust mods made for the taller 5.8L, the unique headers were that mod.

R

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The 351 Saleen is the same way. Unique headers and a stock H-pipe which is how the maintained some of their EPA certification I heard.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
The 351 Saleen is the same way. Unique headers and a stock H-pipe which is how the maintained some of their EPA certification I heard.

The Saleen headers were made by Hooker and are still available. I am running a set of ceramic coated on my R. Interestingly, they have no EGR provision. I don't know how Saleen dealt with that.

Tom

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
RossSVT said:

Mark is correct, the 95R specific headers make up for the difference in the deck height. I've swapped stock H-pipes and catbacks back and forth between my 95 2top and 95R several times. I have also used the same 94/95 5.0 x-pipe on both cars without problems. However, I have had problems with aftermarket catbacks clearing the fuel cell on the 95R.

95R#177

Established Member
RossSVT said:
Who has mod'ed their 95 R's and what have you done.

I am planning to take the R racing this year and ready to mod. Seeing how no one really wants to buy. Might as well drive it as it was intended. :-D

Looking at Seats and harness system.
X-pipe and cat back
Tune
Shifter
cold air

What have you done? Can't seem to find an X pipe to fit the 351 W in a 95.

Suggestions on alignment etc. would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Ross,
I run a BBK x-pipe and custom dumps using DYNOMAX single chamber bullet race mufflers--with great success. The ground clearance is great and the sound is awesome. I also have much more room to work around the rear end.

Since I have emissions removed, I sealed the port on the x-pipe. Removing the emissions also frees up a lot of room under the hood on the passenger side.

For me, relocating the battery to the rear made a noticeable improvement in handling. Get yourself a steel idler pully off a Ford truck to replace the stock plastic one--it may save your hood someday. I also changed to a 180 deg thermostat and removed that plastic peice one top of the radiator that has the serpentine belt routing diagram--provides much better access to everything.

If you pm me, I'll send a complete list of my mods.

Best regards,
Shane

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
As stated, 94-95 H-Pipes are all the same, regardless of 351 or 302. You can even fit a Fox Body with hangar mods if you wanted.

For a shifter, I would like at MGW. Tune? Any of the tuner chips are fine, just make sure you find a good tuner.

My mods are AFR 185 heads, Crower 12212 cam, extrude intake, lightning mass air, 75mm TB. 340rwhp/390rwtq.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
95R#177 said:
Ross,Get yourself a steel idler pully off a Ford truck to replace the stock plastic one--it may save your hood someday. Best regards,
Shane

Shane - Do you happen to have the part number for the Ford truck idler pulley? Or even the specific application?

Thanks, Robert

XLR8-R

Established Member
Magnaflow tailpipes will hit the fuel cell, Flowmaster tailpipes clear fine...H-pipes are same as 5.0, I am currently running a mac pro-chamber and am very happy with it. If you do exhaust, you may need an adjustable fuel regulator(mine was lean) Mine also ran good with the timing at 15 degrees, with the fuel pressure bumped about 5psi...Fuel Regulator is the same as 94-95 Cobra.

RossSVT

Established Member
Robert M said:
Shane - Do you happen to have the part number for the Ford truck idler pulley? Or even the specific application?

Thanks, Robert

Same here.

RossSVT

Established Member
XLR8-R said:
Magnaflow tailpipes will hit the fuel cell, Flowmaster tailpipes clear fine...H-pipes are same as 5.0, I am currently running a mac pro-chamber and am very happy with it. If you do exhaust, you may need an adjustable fuel regulator(mine was lean) Mine also ran good with the timing at 15 degrees, with the fuel pressure bumped about 5psi...Fuel Regulator is the same as 94-95 Cobra.

Thanks for the info. A good SCT tune should take care of the lean condition, I would assume?

Too bad on the Magnaflow's I really like that entire system. Had one on my 04 Cobra. I wonder if a Bassini would clear? Don't really like the Flow's. Does Flowmaster make a stainless system?

RossSVT

Established Member
94 Cobra R said:
As stated, 94-95 H-Pipes are all the same, regardless of 351 or 302. You can even fit a Fox Body with hangar mods if you wanted.

For a shifter, I would like at MGW. Tune? Any of the tuner chips are fine, just make sure you find a good tuner.

My mods are AFR 185 heads, Crower 12212 cam, extrude intake, lightning mass air, 75mm TB. 340rwhp/390rwtq.

Thanks again for the info,

MGW is my first choice but George does not have one for the 3550 yet. He told me sometime by the end of July.

Good info on the cam and heads. The 75 MM TB what brand? Do you know if Accufab makes a TB for the 5.8?

I think I'm going with the JLT CAI and SCT tune. I guess I'll see how the mass air holds up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread