95R Front Brake Upgrade

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
unless you're talking gnIII or integra calipers, stick with the stoptechs, brembos, or alcon. the rest of the wilwood product line is better suited to street rods/street machines rather than track dogs. in my opinion (my shelby has superlite2 and dynalite2 calipers)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ShelbyGuy said:
the rest of the wilwood product line is better suited to street rods/street machines rather than track dogs.

I've had good luck with Wilwood front rotors on my vintage car. FIA vintage rules allow it as long as you keep the OEM calipers. Of course, the calipers don't work well enough to inflict much of a test to the rotors. :-D

The non-FIA Mustangs prefer the six-piston Brembo calipers. They replace rotors and pads after each weekend.

One guy: "My fronts usually last two weekends".
Faster guy: "You aren't using them to their maximum capability". :p

steeda_007

Established Member
I have the Alcon Grand-Am Cup legal kit on my racer, and they are super. Clearly designed for endurance racing, good heat disipation and mass. The maintainance kit (seals and the like) is inexpensive and easy to install. The entry price is a bit steep, but they'll pull your sunglasses off lap after lap :coolman:

Here is a link:

http://www.hrpworld.com/MustangAlco...rm_prod_id=368,263,49,363_1977&action=product

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Don,

do you have the radially mounted or side mounts? I've got the radially mounted on my 93R and LOVE them. You're definitely right about the $$$ though.

I've used the Brembo's and think that they are great as well.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am running the same setup as Don and they bolt mount to studs that are on an adapter to the spindle. I agree with Don, I love them. After seeing that price I also love the fact I got my setup used for $1,000.

Shane,

I would go with an 00R kit. They will easily clear your rims and they are plenty of brake for your car. It is also kinda cool they came on the next generation R from yours.

Tom

b4409

Established Member
For those who feel brake challenged but have other things to spend money on (don't we all?), you can take comfort in the fact that some race and win (in AI, at least) with stock brakes - stock as in stock 05 GT calipers and rotors with some decent pads at 3400 lbs race weight. Clearly, you can have better brakes, but $3 or 4k for a street car or HPDE car is a lot of bling IMHO. The brembos have worked great for me FWIW. I suppose you'll probably save a bunch in pad costs with a heavy duty setup that doesn't stress things too much.

bb

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yeah I hear ya Bruce. But if you want to stay on the throttle till the #2 brake marker, them 13" Brembo's won't be cutting the mustard! They will be licking the lid!! :read:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

95R#177

Established Member
tomshep said:
I am running the same setup as Don and they bolt mount to studs that are on an adapter to the spindle. I agree with Don, I love them. After seeing that price I also love the fact I got my setup used for $1,000.

Shane,

I would go with an 00R kit. They will easily clear your rims and they are plenty of brake for your car. It is also kinda cool they came on the next generation R from yours.

Tom

Thanks Tom! The Brembo 00R kit it is. I will try to find some used first, then buy new if I have too.

The car ran well this season. I only got to do 5 events, 3 NASA, and 2 others. I think from here out, I will stick with NASA. I only managed to move into NASA HPDE 3, but I did get some good experiences.

This winter I'd like to do the brake upgrade, window net and full cage (I just need the front part) for sure. I also would like to do a fire surpression system. I may have enough for a MM T/A, but I won't be able to afford the MM K-Member this off-season.

I can't think of any mass reduction I can do to offset the T/A and cage? The only things I can think of are the interior door panels and windows. I think this winter I will finally break down and test on a dyno--some of my NASA buddies keep asking about that.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Shane,

Not to derail this thread or anything, but you are starting to mod that car pretty seriously. Have you considered buying an ex racer? I was in the same situation as you 3 years ago. I was getting ready to buy a street R and start modding it exactly like you are doing. I decided to buy an ex racer instead. It was a turn key car and I have really enjoyed it. The best part is I didn't take a good original car and hack it up. I do know of at least one car you could get for I believe $20,000 with race history. And it has the Alcon brakes mentioned above already on it.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread