96 cobra upgrade ideas?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
With that you're getting into an area where you have to really sit down and decide how much you're willing to put into the car money-wise. SN95's do not retain their value well at all, especially modified. By the time you spend all that money sourcing a terminator drive-train, you might be better off just purchasing a terminator. I'm not attempting to discourage you at all. But these are things you must consider prior to embarking on an expensive build. If you plan on keeping the SN95 for years to come, then its resale value should not matter to you. Mod-away. You have limitless options with the Fox/SN95 platform.

If I were you, I would decide your goals for the car. Next weigh your options to achieving those goals versus the cost of attaining them along with your budget, then make your decision. Another thing you can do is talk with people who've been down the route you plan on going. Often times you'll hear people with a highly modified car say something along the lines of "I would've just thrown a centri on it at 400whp and just drive the car." Long down-times share a linear relationship with highly modified vehicles.

To answer your question that is a possibility you can freely explore with positive results. There's been a couple members that have sourced a used terminator shortblock, threw their B-heads on it with a centri and ran with it. Again, it can be done. There are drawbacks to everything though. The terminator motor is a cast iron block with our teksids being aluminum. You're going to add more weight to the front of an already imbalanced car (by that I mean nose-heavy).

If you do decide to keep the SN95 and use a terminator shortblock with your B-heads and a PD blower, then you might as well just source the entire terminator drivetrain.

The most prominent question of all: Is this car your daily driver/sole means of transportation?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I have found a couple Eaton chargers online but not sure if they will fit

The Eaton M112 will not adapt to B-Heads which our Cobras have. You would need 99'+ (C-Heads) for that. Also along with this comes all the necessary hardware needed to support the supercharger. Look up an "Eaton Swap Kit".

I've listed two links that pertain to what is necessary to swap an M112 to a C-headed DOHC 4.6. The second link was for sale at $2500 but take note that this did not include swapping over to C-heads and all what is necessary to do so. It assumes you already have a working C-headed setup. I'm only mentioning this to give you a better perspective of cost. If you decide to go this route, at the end of the day you'll end up with a C-headed 4.6 with M112 supercharger and a ticking time-bomb for a shortblock if not built or an 03-04' shortblock is not used.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/official-eaton-swap-thread-parts-and-links.746172/

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/complete-eaton-swap-kit-2500-vernon-ct.965758/

Justinlb917

Established Member
I have a friend who has a set of c heads out of an 01. He also has 5 motors which two are built 03 motors. So I have a supply just need lists

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I know the feeling of wanting more power but I've resigned myself to staying NA unless I get the money to get new rods and pistons.

mattscobra

Established Member
I have a friend who has a set of c heads out of an 01. He also has 5 motors which two are built 03 motors. So I have a supply just need lists

I’m trying my luck at an Eaton swap on my 97 cobra. I’ve sourced everything there the net and including c heads I’m under 1800$ I’m going to use the factory block. But I’ve call ford racing and they said ild be fine with the stock Kellogg crank terminator rods and an aftermarket forged pistons using the stock Eaton and the power level it makes. Even ported.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well it’s your car
And as such do what you want. With that being said just do research. All the info is out there and available. All the parts list is in the stickies above this thread because I’ve added the list. I did the swap myselfz

Attachments

• C5955D48-E392-456C-A1D0-F4030EE0572F.jpeg
    C5955D48-E392-456C-A1D0-F4030EE0572F.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 92

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Well it’s your car
And as such do what you want. With that being said just do research. All the info is out there and available. All the parts list is in the stickies above this thread because I’ve added the list. I did the swap myselfz

Hey Carlo, how ya been. I used to be badass98svt on here from 2004-10 or so, then I wasn't on much til 6 months or so ago.
PacificGreen, I remember you too!

crazycarlo

Established Member
Hey man yes I remember. Glad to see you on here. I’m not as active on here as much as I used to be. I sold the cobra about 2 years ago and bought a fox coupe to play with. Now I come to give the little bt of knowledge I have and look at the pics and video section haha.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey man yes I remember. Glad to see you on here. I’m not as active on here as much as I used to be. I sold the cobra about 2 years ago and bought a fox coupe to play with. Now I come to give the little bt of knowledge I have and look at the pics and video section haha.

Nice I'd love to see pics of that fox of yours. My 98 was down and out for 7 long years, now it's at the shop for another built motor, this time coupled with a 67mm.

i8urSS

Established Member
I agree with everyone else. If you are going with a blower, use a centrifugal. If you want a PD, why not just sell the 96 and buy a terminator? You can run 450-480 with just a pulley swap and those cars are basically bullet proof.

You'd probably be looking at $10k to find a good 03 motor and trans. Then you have to get all the supporting mods and have the install. By that point, you're 3/4 of the way to getting the terminator.

If you're intent on keeping your cobra, you should do gears immediately. That is the far and away the best bang for the buck. It'll put the power back where it needs to be. Just plan ahead. If you do the blower, you would probably won't want much more than 4.10's. (which is the minimum you should go either way).

Users who are viewing this thread