96 Condenser Help!!!

Tickle

Established Member
I am trying to get a new condenser installed before hot weather in the south kicks in.

I have tried to order 3 condensers:
Spectra 7962
Spectra 7646
LMR Item #LRS-19712C

ALL 3 still had 22fins per inch like the stocker I'm trying to replace.

UPDATE: the LMR condenser is 22 fins per inch!

Last edited:

Martin6107

Established Member
The updated condenser is same as used in 97 model year. RockAuto.com catalog shows the condenser for a 97 to be (SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # 74962). I believe you will have to replace the suction line with one for a 97 as well (FOUR SEASONS Part # 56568). I accidentally ordered a suction line for my 96 that had the TSB done and, big surprise, it did not fit. However, the 97 line did.

Tickle

Established Member
The spectra 74962 had 22 fund per inch, same as the problematic stock one. That's the one I tried recently.

Anyone else have any luck?

thetvirus

Established Member
I thought the 1997 one just dropped right in? Also even with the dense fins on the 96, a thicker aluminum radiator will help too. Also make sure you have the plastic air dam under the bumper and of course remove the honey comb grill if it is on there still. Also use the factory 188 thermostat.

Tickle

Established Member
I think the 2 condensers I have ordered will fit fine, but they are no better than what I have installed now.

I still have the air dam but haven't removed it. I am going to install a 180 thermostat and adjust my fan settings.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
I installed the 97 from Rock Auto. the one I got had less fins that the stocker. trying to remember what it was when I counted the new one, but was definitely less than stock and helped the cooling immediately. fit right in with no modifications.

Tickle

Established Member
Damn it! I ordered one from LMR, 22 fins per inch.

This SUCKS. At least I didn't tear my car apart before I got the right part.

Tickle

Established Member
Screw it. I found a 1997 Motorcraft Condenser YJ-396 new in the box on ebay for $166. Much better than the ordering/returning game I have been playing.

Tickle

Established Member
Just got the F7zz19712ba part number condenser. It has the right fin count!

For those still looking for this now discontinued part, check out nospartsltd.com. They had it and I would have used them instead of eBay if I had seen them earlier.

I do not recommend trying to order this part from rockauto, late model Resto, or local auto parts stores as it appears that the aftermarket versions out there all have a higher density fin count.

I hope this info helps others that search in the future for 96 cooling or condenser problems. There are TONS of threads out there, but it was hard do determine what to order.

Tickle

Established Member
Good deal. I didn't try that one and it could very well be a good one to try.

The 4676 in the part number is what concerned me and ultimately led me to try harder to find a 1997 motorcraft part. It may be discontinued, but it is available in a couple of places.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
as I recall, the 97 was supposed to have 18 per inch, and, as you said, the 96 has like 22. If I recall, when I got this one, it was 20. I could be wrong on the count though. I do know, looking at it, you can see light whereas the stocker....too tight to see anything. temps went down after the install and with the slightly higher fin count than the 97(if it is), a/c stay working better. either way, works great. I just wish whoever had the car prior to me would have done the recall and this all wouldn't have been necessary. I will never understand why people don't take advantage of the recalls/TSB's that are free.

Tickle

Established Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427512173.379605.jpgold condenser

Users who are viewing this thread