96 Fan Upgrade Questions

laddanator

Established Member
I've been searching the web and forums for a few days for a conclusive answer to a fan upgrade solution on my 96 Cobra. I'm installing my KB soon and I will be upgrading the radiator (Mishimoto) and A/C condenser at this time and I know the stock 96 fan sucks. I know this has been covered on this forum but the answers still left me wondering.

I was looking into

1.Mark VIII fan

2.Taurus fan

3.Mishimoto electric fan, shroud kit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmfs-mus-94?seid=srese1&gclid=CLmnmNSw9rsCFa9lOgod1B8AdA

What are you guys using?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
It was the a/c consdensor that was the problem, not the fan. The 96 condensor was too dense snd didnt allow enough airflow to the radiator. 97+ cars didnt have the problem. There was a tsb issued, many cars were retrofitted. If yours wasnt, just grab a newer model and be done with it.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I've been searching the web and forums for a few days for a conclusive answer to a fan upgrade solution on my 96 Cobra. I'm installing my KB soon and I will be upgrading the radiator (Mishimoto) and A/C condenser at this time and I know the stock 96 fan sucks. I know this has been covered on this forum but the answers still left me wondering.

I was looking into

1.Mark VIII fan

2.Taurus fan

3.Mishimoto electric fan, shroud kit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmfs-mus-94?seid=srese1&gclid=CLmnmNSw9rsCFa9lOgod1B8AdA

What are you guys using?

To add more info:

1. Mark 8 fan/shroud assembly is much larger than an SN95, needs all kinds of trimming to get it to fit.

2. More of an upgrade for foxbody guys who dont want to run the stock clutch fan. I believe the cfm rating on these is similar to the 94+ fans.

3. Your stock cooling fan moves more air than that Mishimoto assembly.

laddanator

Established Member
It was the a/c consdensor that was the problem, not the fan. The 96 condensor was too dense snd didnt allow enough airflow to the radiator. 97+ cars didnt have the problem. There was a tsb issued, many cars were retrofitted. If yours wasnt, just grab a newer model and be done with it.

To add more info:

1. Mark 8 fan/shroud assembly is much larger than an SN95, needs all kinds of trimming to get it to fit.

2. More of an upgrade for foxbody guys who dont want to run the stock clutch fan. I believe the cfm rating on these is similar to the 94+ fans.

3. Your stock cooling fan moves more air than that Mishimoto assembly.

Thanks for the info, guys! I plan to upgrade the A/C condenser with a 98 Cobra model. One less thing I have to buy or worry about. Stock fan it is.

On a side note. Didn't Ford also use a different fan on the 97-98? More blades?

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
I think it was upgraded for the 98 and up. I am looking for one at a good price just to add. American Muscle sale the 98 and up fan as a upgrade also. I Believe there is some modding when using the 98 and up, but not sure.

Cobranator

Established Member
As already mentioned by others the stock '96 fan is not the problem and is sufficient enough.

OP...after your KB is installed you obviously will have to get a tune so at that time get them to adjust the fan settings to come on a little sooner. That should help with the extra heat from the KB.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
On a side note. Didn't Ford also use a different fan on the 97-98? More blades?

94-96 style fan:

lrs-8607a_9479.jpg

97+ style fan:

lrs-8607j-r_3828.jpg

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
As already mentioned by others the stock '96 fan is not the problem and is sufficient enough.

OP...after your KB is installed you obviously will have to get a tune so at that time get them to adjust the fan settings to come on a little sooner. That should help with the extra heat from the KB.

I agree. I'm running a stock 96 fan, but I switched to a 180 deg thermostat and had the tuner set my fans to kick on at 185. I haven't had any overheating issues.

laddanator

Established Member

I think it was upgraded for the 98 and up. I am looking for one at a good price just to add. American Muscle sale the 98 and up fan as a upgrade also. I Believe there is some modding when using the 98 and up, but not sure.

94-96 style fan:

lrs-8607a_9479.jpg

97+ style fan:

lrs-8607j-r_3828.jpg

I agree. I'm running a stock 96 fan, but I switched to a 180 deg thermostat and had the tuner set my fans to kick on at 185. I haven't had any overheating issues.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Reische 170 thermostat and have the tuner adjust the fan kick on and off but kinda high price for a thermostat.

Reische Performance FORD-4D 170deg Performance Thermostat - Thermostats - Cooling - 1996-1998 - Ford SVT Cobra - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
No need for the expensive Reische thermostat, the hypertech 160 works just as well and if half the price.

The 96 fan is terrible, if changing the radiator go with a 97 or later radiator and fan.

laddanator

Established Member
No need for the expensive Reische thermostat, the hypertech 160 works just as well and if half the price.

The 96 fan is terrible, if changing the radiator go with a 97 or later radiator and fan.

I already have the Mishimoto radiator for a 96. Will a 97-98 fan fit a 96 radiator? I will look into the hypertech 160

shurur

Established Member
Last edited:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
be curious to know if the 97+ fan will fit the 96 radiator as well. I had read on other posts and forums, that the new fan was better to the point that allegedly it was part of the upgrade to the TSB that came out on the 96's. also, is the plug in different does anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread