96 mystic cobra value

chao5.0

Established Member
i'm looking at a 96 mystic cobra for sale but the only issue i'm having is the value of the car. it doesn't have the factory wheels and the front bumper, passenger side fender and door scraped a guard rail so they have to be refinished but i'm not sure what the cost is to have the mystic paint redone. i have yet to see the car in person but i would rather not waste my time if the car is not worth going look at, can anyone give me a ball park idea if i should even consider this car. this is the picture i was sent this morning and the asking price is $4500:

2012-05-04_16-48-39_721.gif

chao5.0

Established Member
he doesn't list the mileage but does say it has been street raced alot so even if its low mileage its probably well worn. mechanical problems aren't a big issue for me because i was a tech for a few years until i got hurt so i know my way around a car, as long as the drivetrain is good and doesn't need major work i can handle it right away. if this doesn't work for me then i'll be looking at new 5.0's again.

chao5.0

Established Member
I say you walk away from it.

thats what i'm starting to think because even if i got it for $3k there is at least $1k in refinishing and repairing the right front damage and there is no guarantee it will match the rest of the car when done. now if the rest of the car is perfect then yes $3k is a good deal but since its been raced i'm sure it will need some work else where. i just wanted to see if the rarity of the color and car was worth spending the money to own but apparently not.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
thats what i'm starting to think because even if i got it for $3k there is at least $1k in refinishing and repairing the right front damage and there is no guarantee it will match the rest of the car when done. now if the rest of the car is perfect then yes $3k is a good deal but since its been raced i'm sure it will need some work else where. i just wanted to see if the rarity of the color and car was worth spending the money to own but apparently not.

the paint will cost more than 1k

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I say you walk away from it.

+65,000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1k? come down off the crackpipe. in 2010 that paint was still over 500bucks a PINT and still hard to get. As much as I want a 96 Mystic to go with my 04 Mystichrome I would not touch that car simply because of the amount of paint work that is going to be needed.

chao5.0

Established Member
+65,000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1k? come down off the crackpipe. in 2010 that paint was still over 500bucks a PINT and still hard to get. As much as I want a 96 Mystic to go with my 04 Mystichrome I would not touch that car simply because of the amount of paint work that is going to be needed.

try reading it again, i said at least $1k meaning the repair without bring it to my painter to give me a estimate was going to exceed well beyond $1k. i know the mystic paint is expensive but exactly how much i never knew because i've never messed with it. i could have the whole car resprayed for a reasonable price in another color but then whats the point of buying a mystic car?

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member

If you find a shop that is familiar with spraying that color, it'll match fine. My wife had to have a quarter panel repainted and has also had a pulley, CAI, coolant crossover tube, brake calipers and brackets,and interior panels painted Mystic.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
not going to pick at the nits too much but what you said implied painting as well. and I am obviously not the only one that interpreted what you said that way.

I agree with you tho, if you are going to buy a mystic car it should stay mystic.

and a whole car sprayed done right will still cost you upwards of 3 grand minimum unless you do 75% of the work yourself.

try reading it again, i said at least $1k meaning the repair without bring it to my painter to give me a estimate was going to exceed well beyond $1k. i know the mystic paint is expensive but exactly how much i never knew because i've never messed with it. i could have the whole car resprayed for a reasonable price in another color but then whats the point of buying a mystic car?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
That car looks jacked.

The door looks like its been pushed into the fender or was opened to far and bent the edge.

Rocker looks like its flaking and the front portion look like its been replaced or isn't painted mystic.

Reflection in the fender makes me think its not straight right above the wheel. Actually looks like there is a huge dent on top of the fender.

Either the hood isn't closed or it doesn't line up. And if its popped, it probably won't line up when closed anyway LOL

Also who puts GT wheels on a Cobra? Doesn't much look like guardrail damage either...

I'm a painter for a living and I'd run away from this one.

redrocket16

Established Member
Run the hell away from that car. Best price I have seen for mystic paint recently as I priced it was at 350 a pint. I just got my mystic from a member on here and I am happy with my deal. It would need the bumpers repainted to be 98% perfect but hey its a driver car and still looks damn good without any drivetrain errors and only 76K.

I can think if 3 mystics off the top of my head that are better deals than this. Yes they have paint issues but they don't have body or drive train damage for only 1-2K more.

urban.mystic

I drive my car
Established Member
I'd have NO problem picking that car up for around 3k, doing whatever paint and body work was necessary to put it in daily driver condition and I'd make it a D/D.

If it's a haggard as it sounds, there's no harm in keeping it on the streets and not worrying too much about door dings and large bugs smacking into it on the freeway.
Then I could focus on keeping the NICE mystic (current D/D) even nicer and could laugh when I tell people the mystic is my crappy work commuter.

Users who are viewing this thread