96gt

Dallas_5.0

Established Member
Stock 96GT auto

OK....i've heard alot of shit about the 96GT motors....and how bad they are!
should i just spend the money and rebulid the motor? Or should i try to find a newer 2v OR cobra enigne to start modding with?

My plan....
LT's O/R H pipe Super 40 flow's
3.73 gears..2,500 stall converter...shift kit
Ported PI heads...Comp cams...C&L intake with a75mm TB...100 shot of N20

should that plan put out some desent power???

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I had a 96 GT and while the engine is a "good" engine (ran smooth, reliable, etc), it didn't make much power.

If I recall, the power dropped of after 4500 RPM's. The thing just couldn't breathe and I'm pretty sure the heads were to blame. I think your planned mods would help greatly and solve the breathing problem. Since it's an auto, I'd go with 4.10 gears instead of the 3.73's.

In the end, I bet it will put out some decent power.

Dallas_5.0

Established Member
YA...I hear the same things about the breathing problem!!!
Thats y i was wondering....if i should just find a newer engine to start out with...

I'm looking to get around 400hp...around here in Dallas there's alot of HIGH hp cars running around and 400hp isnt that much compared to them...but atleast it will keep those damn rice burners off my back..lol
since it's gonna be a daily driver....will 4.10's be too much?

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I know a guy with an 03 Cobra which puts down 420 to the wheels. He has 4.10 gears and swears by them.

I'm sure some other 4.10 gear owners will chime in.

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
i put 4.10s in my car. i was debating the whole 3.73 vs. 4.10 gear thing for a while. now i wish i wouldve gone with 4.30s! driveability is not a problem.

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
mine is a manual by the way. since you have an auto i would definately get the steeper gears. and good luck with 400 naturally aspirated out of a 2v.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
just do a Pi intake manifold swap and your 96-98 gt will breathe and will also make alot more power than the stock non pi intake.

good luck

s3c2n01

Established Member
mach 1 engine................... why wast ur money if ur going to take the pos 96 /98 motor out and change why dont u just put 03/04 COBRA MOTOR IN IT . AND LIKE MPORT SAID GOOD LUCK IN THE 400 N/A 4.6 IT IS NOT A EASY TASK BELEVE ME..........................

JVENOM

Established Member
if you want to put money into the car do it....and make it faster then regular....but those tranny's arent that good so i would say swap ya tranny.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
JVENOM said:
if you want to put money into the car do it....and make it faster then regular....but those tranny's arent that good so i would say swap ya tranny.

Auto trannies are fine if you put a higher stall and cooler on it. But then again, your 96 tranny would be starting to show it's age. So a swap of some kind, be it auto or manual, would be a good idea. Lots of money though to do both an engine and tranny swap. You could probably find an all together newer mustang instead.

Dallas_5.0

Established Member
I think i'm just gonna stick with the motor i have..... i mean since it's my first stang
But put Ported PI heads and intake along with all the other mods...I want to have some bite to go along with it's bark!!
along down the road after i save ALOT...plans are to add a turbo kit
If i can get a good 300-330 Hp out of it and around 450hp on N20 for now i'll be happy
looking for low 11's......

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Dallas_5.0 said:
would the Bullit intake be a wise choice after i put on the PI heads???

Not unless you can get one for a damn good price. Your looking at over 1 large to get the bullit intake and it's supporting parts. But if you got the green and get it anyways, you might as well get it ported as well if you have all that forced induction planned in the future.

Dallas_5.0

Established Member
I found a complete Bullitt motor from a autobroker here in Dallas....for $3,850
should i just buy that and start moding from there????

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
s3c2n01 said:
mach 1 engine................... why wast ur money if ur going to take the pos 96 /98 motor out and change why dont u just put 03/04 COBRA MOTOR IN IT . AND LIKE MPORT SAID GOOD LUCK IN THE 400 N/A 4.6 IT IS NOT A EASY TASK BELEVE ME..........................

It looks more like you need to be spending money on a phonics book.

Why not put a Mach 1 engine? A naturally aspirated engine is a lot more reliable than a supercharged one. 300 Naturally aspirated rwhp and 320rwtq can be reached really easily. Better fuel economy...

The 03/04 cobra swap would probably require a lot more work and money than a mach 1 engine swap as well.

thasalvoo

a bullit motor for 3800$$$ thats a little high... I bought my motor with vt stage1 ported and polished heads, comp stage 2 cams, diablo tune, steeda intake,dragon plenum, and high compression pistons... the motor was out of a 2004 gt with 12,000 miles on it, i paid 2200.00 installed.. WERDDD

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
$3800 Canadian funds, you guys pay way less for parts than we do in Canada even after the exchange rate. That price was the estimation made by a fellow who works at one of the local performance shops. You guys also have the benefit of more than 3 choices for shops in the West part of the country that actually know what they are doing with these motors.

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Stick with the motor you have, do a pi swap, and basicly its all the same from there as far as the 2Vs go. The motor isnt that bad, it is just bottle necked with those stock heads.

Users who are viewing this thread