97 Camaro SS back from the grave! (build pics and vids)

97SSroadwarrior

1NastySS
Established Member
Finally the wait is over. After 4 months (and yes that unfortunately is 4 months worth of dust and dirt on the car, I've never ever wanted to wash a car so bad in my life!) the camaro SS was finally dyno tuned today.

It all started when I bought the 97 SS with only 42,000 miles and the car completely stock. i had many upgardes in mind and went to town trying to build a reliable, bullet proof all motor powerplant.
A special thanks to Eric Sunness for assembling and installing the motor and accessories.:beer:

When it was all said and done, the car made 345rwhp @5900 and 330rwtq @ 3700 rpm naturally aspirated. The car sounds great at ilde with that cam. Overall just really happy with a near 400hp motor.:thumbsup:

Up coming races to include:
Venomous01's 98 cobra
Venomous01's 04 cobra (just for the hell of it, and def from a dig:coolman: )
friends geared, CAI, cat-back, tuned 01 Cobra
2007 335i
friend's 06 mustang GT
and his brother's 05 M3
My girl's 350z

And of course any one else who would like to run. I really just want to see how she does against a variety of cars. Big test is to see if I can take a stock terminator.
Hoping to have some good drag and open track pics and vids for y'all.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics.:beer:

P5300307.jpg

P5300306.jpg

P5300308.jpg

P5300309.jpg

P5300310.jpg

P5300311.jpg

P5300313.jpg

P5300314.jpg

P5300315.jpg

P5300317.jpg

P5300319.jpg

P8080325.jpg

P8080326.jpg

P8080327.jpg

Dyno vid
th_P8080324.jpg

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
:beer: Congrats bro.

It's been long road and she sounds insane. Makes me want to throw a stroker in the 98 Cobra tomorrow.

This Camaro's cam hits hard and sounds amazing. We drove around tonight and I was amazed at how smooth the car was. Linear pull from every gear and smooth clutch engagement. The exhaust sounds incredible and there is absolutely no drone from the interior. Very clean...

I was really impressed.

Now it's time for some Ford (98 Cobra) vs. Chevy (97 Camaro SS) muscle wars. Drags and open track!

Congrats again bro. You deserve it and I'm happy to see it's finally complete.

Now you just need that throttle body and.... that procharger.:poke:

:beer:

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
makevelie187 said:
always nice to see a 93-97 SS theres not many out there
We were just talking about this very same point tonight. Very rare cars and even more rare to see one done with as much attention as was this one. When he throws the procharger on... Oh boy. 580rwhp easy...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice build up of your motor. I wish you the best. I used to have a '94 Callaway Camaro so I appreciate your '97. Now go wash that bad boy! :)

Now that you rebuilt the motor and are ready to had the streets of LA again, consider picking up a set of my new Camaro/Firebird T-56 shifter gaskets to quiet down that common gear noise. It also eliminates the need for the messy sealer when installing your shifter. And it's reusable. Cheap mod at only $7.00 and it really works. I have a new website just for you F-Body folks. http://fbodyshiftergaskets.com

JRock

Established Member
awesome! always nice to see one come back from the grave! =)

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Guys your comments are well received and appreciated.

To give you all the full excitement he is felling I'll give you a little background. Maybe almost 10 years ago he had a modified 96 camaro z28. At the time one of the faster cars on the street. After throwing 4.10s in it (and regretting it) he had taken a turn too fast in the car and hit a guard rail, totaling the car.

The experience left him pretty rattled and he told us he needs to step away from sports cars for a bit. He ended up purchasing a jeep and currently has a raised up cherokee. He started offroading and enjoying that.

Long story short I took him out in the cobra one night and I could tell his sports car emotions were stirring. I sent him pics, vids, ebay auctions of camaro ss (I new he loved the 97ss) and finally he found one and bit. Unfortunately things went array 4 days after purchasing, but now the car is back and better then ever. I look forward to getting him to the open track and going to the drags to compete against him in my 98 Cobra. He's a guy who has a ton of respect for all cars and I'm happy to see him get what he deserved and has wanted. A built SS... When he supercharges it he will be blown away even more.

Glad to have you back bro in a sports car that is, and a great one at that.

97SSroadwarrior

1NastySS
Established Member
Thanks guys, Oh I drove her straight to one of those do it yourslef carwashes first thing, but she really needs a good detail from me now.

It was quite a long process from beginning to end, especially when you keep making payments and the car is still sittting in a shop.
he blower will come in probably a year or so. I got some credit cards to pay off in the mean time, and I'm firguring throwing the procharger on will be about 4-6K all together.

I have a built motor so I was thinking of using the 8lb ati procharger kit with the upgraded intercooler from the next level kit, or just going with the 10-12lb kit and intercooler. My thought is that if teh 8lb is intended to be safe enough for a stock Lt1 (at least for a while) then I can run hard it all day with no problem on my motor. Conservative, reliable power is my main goal here.
But it won't be for a while so I have time to decide.

Last edited:

97SSroadwarrior

1NastySS
Established Member
Venomous01 said:
Guys your comments are well received and appreciated.

To give you all the full excitement he is felling I'll give you a little background. Maybe almost 10 years ago he had a modified 96 camaro z28. At the time one of the faster cars on the street. After throwing 4.10s in it (and regretting it) he had taken a turn too fast in the car and hit a guard rail, totaling the car.

The experience left him pretty rattled and he told us he needs to step away from sports cars for a bit. He ended up purchasing a jeep and currently has a raised up cherokee. He started offroading and enjoying that.

Yeah, and totalling the z28 was my third car accident cause I crashed my probe gt a couple times too. Just being to aggressive too often, you know when you're 16 and 17 you feel like the world is your own personal race track and you don't realize that your driving could impact the people on the road around you, but I definately could have. When you lose control you lose it and there's no telling what you could end up crashing into.
Even the pros crash from time to time, and I'm certainly no pro, but when you are 16 you figure you must be pretty close right? Its a cycle, you push the car a bit, you get comfortable, you push alittle more, you get more comfortable, you put it harder, and then one day you slip up, and boom, you lose control and hit something.
Anyway, I just figured I should take my aggressive driving offroad where I'm really only endangering myself. I got a wrangler and really jumped into 4 wheeling, rock crawling and eventually prerunning. The wrangler got stolen one night and with the insurance money I got a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I shortly threw a 3.5 inch Rubicon Express suspension, and some rims and geolandar tires. The thing prerunn like a champ. It preforms really well for being a $10K prerunner without cuts throughs or true long travel suspension.
But when Venomous01 got that 04 Cobra done it got me thinking again. Hopefully I'm mature and responsible enough to keep this beast in great shape.

Last edited:

197SVT

Established Member
sweet car my neighbor just bought a 95 with a cam polished intake headers and some other extras but the car is loading up a bit it doesnt smoke at all until you crack it a bit you can hold it a 3grand no smoke crack on it you get the puff he replaced the egr any other tips your car sounds badass

97SSroadwarrior

1NastySS
Established Member
1foxbody said:
sweet car my neighbor just bought a 95 with a cam polished intake headers and some other extras but the car is loading up a bit it doesnt smoke at all until you crack it a bit you can hold it a 3grand no smoke crack on it you get the puff he replaced the egr any other tips your car sounds badass

maybe its just cause I just woke up and my brain is astill half asleep, but I'm not really sure what exactly you are referring to, are you talking about burnouts? I thought you were but then you mentioned the egr. not sure waht tips you are looking for.

197SVT

Established Member
sorry the car is loading up and when he cracks on it black smoke will puff out now that you mention it i saw the black smoke when he was doing a burnout as well

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
nice car

better beef up that weak ass rear end before you start going from a dig
He will spin the tires before that's a problem. On slicks maybe even DRs that's a different story.

97SSroadwarrior

1NastySS
Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
nice car

better beef up that weak ass rear end before you start going from a dig

I don't think snapping teh 10 bolt is an issue just yet, although my 285s do stick pretty good. A 12 bolt is on the wish list along with some 18s, and some more suspension and open track upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread