97 Cobra - optimizing suspension at stock height

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
ride quality has nothing to do with ride height and everything to do with spring rate vs dampening assuming all the suspension geometry is fine.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I agree with you but add that, at stock height, there is more suspension travel available to soak up big hits.

Also, stock ride height is atrocious.

40th GT

Established Member
The K would be fantastic too I'm sure but trust me, it's about a $4k investment when it's all said and done with parts and labor.
Can you explain what you mean by this? Does an aftermarket K require new control arms and steering components? Stock stuff won't transfer over?

40th GT

Established Member
Wanted to ask here instead of starting a new thread. Will the panhard bar alleviate some of the mid-corner understeer these cars have?
These cars are front heavy and I'm looking for ways to get rid of some understeer.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you explain what you mean by this? Does an aftermarket K require new control arms and steering components? Stock stuff won't transfer over?

Some aftermarket Ks allow for stock arms, but a lot do not, including the MM.
Plus you'll want to go with coilovers up front etc.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Wanted to ask here instead of starting a new thread. Will the panhard bar alleviate some of the mid-corner understeer these cars have?
These cars are front heavy and I'm looking for ways to get rid of some understeer.

It will certainly help, but so will a beefier rear swaybar, as well as a higher spring rate out back. Or maybe a less substantial swaybar up front.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Okay - progress report. I had communicated several times with Jack at MM this winter regarding my suspension questions. For what I wanted to do with the car, he recommended using FRPP B springs with the Bilsteins, to give me a modest drop with similar to stock spring rate. I was a little surprised he would recommend something that they do not carry, but he did. This April, I was able to get the following installed:
  • FRPP B springs (M-5300B)
  • Bilstein HD front struts
  • MM C/C plates
  • Prothane ISOs front and rear
  • MM solid steering rack bushings
  • MM pinion snubber
This joins the rear Bilstein shocks and quad shocks, and other items mentioned earlier in this thread.

Happy with the modest lowering and the ride quality for my driving interests, i.e. spirited cruising on mixed quality rural roads.

Tillerman77

Established Member
PXL_20210404_174814452.jpg
Sounds like a good setup. Any pics?
Indeed.
PXL_20210329_212159723.jpg
PXL_20210329_212224197.jpg

dkblue98gt

Established Member
Looks good. I really like the Cobra wheels but would like them in 17x9 and 10.5 wide.

My old ones went on my Tacoma...
d4128f042a6495577ec69de40a02731b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SpittingCobra

Established Member
This IS stock ride height basically. The cars were basically "idiot proofed" by Ford and sent out with extra clearance because someone in some marketing department where they decide how much higher than corvettes their product needs to be in order to hit their target market.. I get why they did it but if anyone thinks that the engineers wanted it that way is living in their own retarded fantasy.

upload_2021-5-13_9-54-19.png

Tillerman77

Established Member
Well, however the OEM ride height was determined, I will say that this combination of the FRPP B springs, Bilsteins, Prothane ISOs, MM C/C plates and the 255/45/17 Continentals works really well as an all around cruiser for a mix of road conditions.
I plan to post before and after ride height measurements in a couple of more weeks. By then, I will assume whatever settling that is going to occur will have.
Here is a just washed photo with center caps on.
PXL_20210507_223200872.jpg

Last edited:

dkblue98gt

Established Member
Looks really good with the centercaps installed.

I know about Weldcraft, if they could do a deep dish in the rear I would do it...

Tillerman77

Established Member
So one last suspension mod - a Steeda adjustable rear sway bar 006-1STA. I was able to track down the last one that will clear the TA differential cover (potential future purchase) that NPD had this summer. This item has been out of production for a couple of years, so they require some searching to track down. I learned of the value of this second rear sway bar at Warhorse Racing's YouTube channel, specifically this video. Now that this is installed, I have been able to reduce the understeer by changing the tightness of the new adjusting nuts (equally). Car is a lot more responsive to steering inputs now and definitely has less understeer. Very happy.
PXL_20210816_194843779.jpg
PXL_20210816_194851697.jpg
PXL_20210816_194859066.jpg
PXL_20210815_234713723.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread