97 GT as cheap drift car?

nate714

Established Member
Hey guys I'm wondering if a 1997 Mustang GT has any potential as a low speed drift car.

How reliable is the 4.6 and does it respond well to budget bolt ons like CAI, TB, and plenum?

I'm familiar with the SN95 body I had a 98 v6 in college.

Are there reputable tuners for the old 4.6?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Only mods worth doing to a NPI 4.6 is a PI head swap (40hp) and/or Vortech S/C.

Tuning options, SCT (which is BS), Megasquirt or a Quarter Horse.

Detroit Drifting sells modified Knuckles and Arms. You'll need front suspension work because a stock Mustang is a nose heavy plow kings.

www.detroitdriftingco.com

nate714

Established Member
You could get a 240 / 350z much cheaper to slide with imo

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for used or salvage 350z but bargains are hard to come across. I found a 97 GT that was in a collision for less than $1k so that's why I'm weighing it as an option.

I know the SN95 tend to plow forward, I hopped a curb because I locked the brakes when the car was already understeering - wrong reaction.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
You could get a 240 / 350z much cheaper to slide with imo

It's all relative. You can easily dump $15k into a basic bitch 240sx setup. Been there, done that.

Out of the box, a 350Z pawnz the hell out of a 240sx however.

03-04's are like $7k these days. G35 is the other option. I've seen sedans for $3k.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for used or salvage 350z but bargains are hard to come across. I found a 97 GT that was in a collision for less than $1k so that's why I'm weighing it as an option.

I know the SN95 tend to plow forward, I hopped a curb because I locked the brakes when the car was already understeering - wrong reaction.

I campaigned a '96 years ago for a season. Fun car. I still can't drift.

80231BF9-2803-4042-8A80-F69D3FD4638E_zpsmhkyk2k3.jpg

Whatever you get, just make sure you like the car. It's going to be a money pit no matter what.

Zemedici

Established Member
It's all relative. You can easily dump $15k into a basic bitch 240sx setup. Been there, done that.

Out of the box, a 350Z pawnz the hell out of a 240sx however.

03-04's are like $7k these days. G35 is the other option. I've seen sedans for $3k.

all the 240 kids I know dont have 15k TOTAL in all their builds, and there's probably 3-4 sr20 swaps and a few KA guys. Hell every once in a while there's deals to be had on craigslist, 3-4k for a sr swapped car that needs the typical front bumper / wheels.

But as you said, a 350z would be much easier. I was learning how to slide my 04 350z, and sold it before I RUINED it street sliding. Car performed very well, though, and all it had was lowering springs.

nate714

Established Member
Maybe I'll just wait for a 350z to pop up with a smashed bumper. The more I think about my past experience in an SN95 and your inputs, I think it'd be an extremely challenging platform to practice drifting in.

Users who are viewing this thread