98 cobra problems. Help needed!

98p1sccobra

Alright guys im new to the site so im not really sure how this works. I need some help/advice on my car. It is a 98 gt that I have completely swapped over to a cobra. It now has a 98 model 4v cobra motor with a procharger. The problem im having is after I done the swap it will crank up but only for a few seconds before it shuts off. The anti theft light is now blinking (pats system) so I took it to ford to be reprogrammed but for some reason they say they cant get into the computer to program it. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

crazycarlo

Established Member
If it has a chip or an aftermarket tune for the pro charger it needs to be taken out the computer. It has to have the stock tune in it in order to reprogram the pats system. Whoever tuned the car can bypass the pats in the tune. If not you have to have matching pats components in order to crank.

98p1sccobra

Thanks for the reply. Yes the computer was tuned when it was in the previous car but I dont know who tuned it because I bought it from a family friend who owns a junk yard. I put a 90mm mass air on it and thats all I have changed. Could I take it to any tuner and have it set back to factory or have them bypass the pats system or should I just find a new computer?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I would look at the computer first to see if it has a chip on it. If it does remove it. If not your going to have to have ford reflash the computer back to stock but your going to lose your current tune.

98p1sccobra

It does have a sct chip in it. I removed it and still the same thing. The computer came from a car that had a front end collision which blew the air bags. I have heard before that if the air bags deploy it burns a fuse inside the computer to kill the engine. Im not sure if this is true or not.

Alfie

Established Member
Check this. On the driver side by the fuse box there is a few connectors. There is one connector that has two wires. If this connector is loose this will
Cause your problems. They run along against the body by the Battery junction box. Ill take a pix of it when I get home if you don't find it.

Alfie

Established Member
Also any SCT tuner can give u a stock file or a
Programmed file for your set up with pats turned off. You don't need to
Go to ford to get a stock tune. SCT has the file on a database and we just build off of them.

98p1sccobra

Ok guys with the cobra computer plugged in it only runs a few seconds with the chip plugged in or out. But I can plug the gt computer in and it will stay running. It runs rough im guessing because of the timing difference between the 2v and the 4v.

Users who are viewing this thread