98 Cobra temp sensor questions

DeWitt

Established Member
Ok, ive heard lots of different answers but no straight ones. Does the 98 cobra's have one or two temp sensors? i replaced the on the left side crossover but my temp guage still doesnt work. Can someone please answer this??

crazycarlo

Established Member
Oh and on a side note they are not the same sensor. One has a pointed tip and the other has a flat tip.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The red wire with the white stripe is the gauge sender. The light green wire with the red stripe is the PCM sender. I have seen them on both sides of the crossover pipe, so you have to check the wire colors. The connector bodies are also color coded. On my latest junkyard find, the gauge sender and connector bodies are green. The PCM sender body is white and the connector body is gray.

DeWitt

Established Member
Well I found the clip for the one on the driver side unhooked but there is no sensor on crossover

crazycarlo

Established Member
If there is no bung ont he crossover or you cant find the sender then someone has replaced the coolant crossover. The 96-97 cobra crossover only has 1 sensor I do believe but I could be wrong. Are you able to take a picture and post it on here.

Jonesy98

Established Member
i have 2 crossovers, 1 from an early possibly late 97 the other i know for a fact is a 97 they both have 2 sensors

crazycarlo

Established Member
Hmm maybe its a Mk8 or 99 up coolant crossover. The previous owner could have needed one and not been able to find a 98 cobra replacement and replaced it with whatever they had. You can also the the other sensor and screw it into the place where the plug goes on the crossover.

97snakebite

Established Member
If there is no bung ont he crossover or you cant find the sender then someone has replaced the coolant crossover. The 96-97 cobra crossover only has 1 sensor I do believe but I could be wrong. Are you able to take a picture and post it on here.

96-97 do have 2 sensors . but they are 3 pin sensors where the 98 is a 2 pin

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
96-97 do have 2 sensors . but they are 3 pin sensors where the 98 is a 2 pin

In my 96 Cobra, the PCM sensor is a two pin connector, and the gauge sender is a one pin connector. Sometime near the end of 97 Ford went to a two pin connector for the gauge also. I suspect it was because the one pin sender depends on the crossover pipe having a good ground to the engine, not something that is always there. 98s have the same crossover pipe.

99+ crossover pipes only have a PCM sensor. The PCM sends the temperature data to the microprocessor in the instrument cluster via a data bus and it then points the gauge needle in the correct direction. It sounds like you have a 99+ crossover pipe.

DeWitt

Established Member
ok so will the sensor screw into the plug hole on top? or should i try to find a crossover with two sensor holes?

97snakebite

Established Member
In my 96 Cobra, the PCM sensor is a two pin connector, and the gauge sender is a one pin connector. Sometime near the end of 97 Ford went to a two pin connector for the gauge also. I suspect it was because the one pin sender depends on the crossover pipe having a good ground to the engine, not something that is always there. 98s have the same crossover pipe.

99+ crossover pipes only have a PCM sensor. The PCM sends the temperature data to the microprocessor in the instrument cluster via a data bus and it then points the gauge needle in the correct direction. It sounds like you have a 99+ crossover pipe.

Lol thanks mark. I was hoping I didn't have it backwards. I couldn't quite remember our conversation

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

SNAKEYE

Established Member
ok so will the sensor screw into the plug hole on top? or should i try to find a crossover with two sensor holes?

OR you can get a (1) male-to-(2) female tee connector, and do sometihing like this:
2z814ew.jpg

This setup is two stock ECT sensors attached to my Vortech crossover tube. Your physical arrangement may be different.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
Fyi- I have a 97 and it has two temp sensors. They are both pointy. The junk yard vortech crossover pipe I bought has two temp sensors (one pointy and flat bottomed). My car was built in November 96.

Users who are viewing this thread