98 cobra vs ls1

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
I've never raced one before and was wondering if i could beat a ls1 i know it will be no, but i just wanted to ask. His car is a 98 camaro with a k&n cai. What about a lt1 could i beat one of them? Sorry for the noob questions.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Shut up noob. J/K

If you are stock and the LS1 is a 6spd, you will lose. If you have some mods, please list them. A LT1 would be a much better race for you. It's more of a drivers race.

Welcome to the site and dont feel dumb about asking questions. :coolman:

getsomebeyatch

Established Member
Even if the ls1 was auto he would still lose parting out the fact that you are still stock. Just balls up and race one you never know untill you try.

Zello

Bitch Slapper
Established Member
If your stock/mildy modded vs a stock/mildy modded 98z...I would think it's a drivers race.

I would put the 98z at close to 300rwhp and anywherre from 13.6 to a 13.10 depending on weather it's an A4 or 6sp.

Last edited:

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
you'll lose unless he can't drive worth a shit. get 4:30's, full exuast, some asp pullies, and delete your IMRC's and get a tune. you'll be taking out stock LS1's granted you can drive deciently. With the mods listed you should be around 290rwhp. and you will be able to past 100mph without worring about them cating up quickly.The weight difference will level out their slight hp advantage. untl you shift into 5th then your power drops.

or just squeeze. much eaiser.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
LS1 will make a joke out of a 96-98 Cobra. The 4.6 DOHC motor and 3.27 gears together is a joke in itself. Get some good tires, 4.30 gears, intake, and exhaust and you should be showing a LS1 tail lights. Might not beat them on top end but out of the hole they will be catching up if you can drive. Even a mildly modded LT1 will smoke you. All because of your 3.27 gears. GET RID OF THEM!!!

M SIX

Go Big or Go Home
Established Member
Come on man its time to man up. Find a safe rd with no intersections and go find out. You will learn your cars likes and dislikes the more you race it. Find out how it likes to come off the line and get your powershifts down to a science. If he bogs or decides to pussy foot off the line and you get a good jump on the light and find all the gears I bet it would take 100+mph for him to catch you.

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
tama said:
you'll lose unless he can't drive worth a shit. get 4:30's, full exuast, some asp pullies, and delete your IMRC's and get a tune.
What are the imrcs i know it has something to do with the intake is it just porting it out or what.

SpdPilot

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
LS1 will make a joke out of a 96-98 Cobra. The 4.6 DOHC motor and 3.27 gears together is a joke in itself. Get some good tires, 4.30 gears, intake, and exhaust and you should be showing a LS1 tail lights. Might not beat them on top end but out of the hole they will be catching up if you can drive. Even a mildly modded LT1 will smoke you. All because of your 3.27 gears. GET RID OF THEM!!!

Maybe I am reading this wrong or maybe it just hit me wrong, but are you saying that somehow the 99 Cobra is any faster?

I don't think anyone would consider the 96-98 Cobra a joke. What you are saying makes no sense. On one hand you are saying that the LS1 would leave the 98 by A LOT (I agree)! And then you say that adding 4.30 gears, Intake?, and exhaust (5 hp) will suddenly have the Cobra showing the LS1 tail lights?

Yes, ALL Cobra 4V engines benefit a lot from gears. Maybe if you said, add some gears, LT headers, pullies, maf, a tune, and said it was a drivers race, I would have maybe agreed. LS1's are strong running cars, and I haven't run one since my similiar mods, but I know how to drive and may give one a good run. Key word "MAY". An LT1, I don't think is a problem.

SpdPilot

Established Member
98cobra4.6 said:
tama said:
you'll lose unless he can't drive worth a shit. get 4:30's, full exuast, some asp pullies, and delete your IMRC's and get a tune.
What are the imrcs i know it has something to do with the intake is it just porting it out or what.

These are secondary runners in the intake that open at 3200rpm and allow a lot more air to flow into the engine. The are butterfly type blades that open. Much like the secondaries on carb'd engines.

I did a lot of research into benefits of deleting them on my car. Not worth it on a non - supercharged/turbo'd Cobra. They are worth cleaning, but a lot of work to do so. I am going to do mine. Do a search on the net and you find a couple articles about cleaning them.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
SpdPilot said:
Maybe I am reading this wrong or maybe it just hit me wrong, but are you saying that somehow the 99 Cobra is any faster?

I don't think anyone would consider the 96-98 Cobra a joke. What you are saying makes no sense. On one hand you are saying that the LS1 would leave the 98 by A LOT (I agree)! And then you say that adding 4.30 gears, Intake?, and exhaust (5 hp) will suddenly have the Cobra showing the LS1 tail lights?

Yes, ALL Cobra 4V engines benefit a lot from gears. Maybe if you said, add some gears, LT headers, pullies, maf, a tune, and said it was a drivers race, I would have maybe agreed. LS1's are strong running cars, and I haven't run one since my similiar mods, but I know how to drive and may give one a good run. Key word "MAY". An LT1, I don't think is a problem.

Then in that case YES the 99 Cobra is faster than the 98- ones. My 99 with nothing but 4.10 gears, O/R midpipe, catback, shifter, and BBK intake outran a lightly modded LS1 by about a car or two. And at the track ran 13.1@106mph.

joegt38

Established Member
SpdPilot said:
Its a posibilty, the 3.27 gear in the 96-98 Cobras don't put it in its powerband till the higher Rs by that time its to late the LS is pulling hard through there whole powerband. Get a gear (4.10/4.30) and you'll hit your power in the lower Rs and have a better chance and you with bolt-ons and a gear (lets not forget a sticky tire cause without that the gear is useless) you will have a way better chance against a "stock" LS1. The 99/01 are a hair faster and have alittle more power then the 96-98 you can tell by the trap, the 99/01 trap alittle higher...

383man

Established Member
Its funny I have raced a few modded(slightly) ls1s in my day wih my 03 srt. Never lost to an ls1. I was bout a half car length on one uphill(he had intake full exhaust longtubes and 4.10's). I had wga, dp(open), radials, sts and stage 1. They are quick but personally now I would thing my almost stock cobra would keep side by side. I have intake exhaust and pullies. But do what everyone says, gears, intake, exhaust, sticky tire and if the ls1 is stock especially you will be eating him, till 130 but why race that high anyway. Thanks Tim

Users who are viewing this thread