98 cobra vs ls1

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
SpdPilot said:
98cobra4.6 said:
tama said:
you'll lose unless he can't drive worth a shit. get 4:30's, full exuast, some asp pullies, and delete your IMRC's and get a tune.

These are secondary runners in the intake that open at 3200rpm and allow a lot more air to flow into the engine. The are butterfly type blades that open. Much like the secondaries on carb'd engines.

I did a lot of research into benefits of deleting them on my car. Not worth it on a non - supercharged/turbo'd Cobra. They are worth cleaning, but a lot of work to do so. I am going to do mine. Do a search on the net and you find a couple articles about cleaning them.

they're not worth deleting unless you have a set of 4:30's and plan on getting a tune. It'll help.

getsomebeyatch

Established Member
So is this going to turn out to be another bench racers race, or are you gonna really run him.
Hurry up and run him so we can find out man.

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
getsomebeyatch said:
So is this going to turn out to be another bench racers race, or are you gonna really run him.
Hurry up and run him so we can find out man.
Well it might be a week or two becuase my car is at the shop. It keeps blowing a 20 amp fuse and i dont know enough about the new cars to tear into it, if it had a carb i would but the fuel injection scares me i dont want to screw anything up lol.

crystal_SVT

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Then in that case YES the 99 Cobra is faster than the 98- ones. My 99 with nothing but 4.10 gears, O/R midpipe, catback, shifter, and BBK intake outran a lightly modded LS1 by about a car or two. And at the track ran 13.1@106mph.

sooo this proves what exacly..? u raced some ls1 kid who couldnt drive very well? your times are no faster than what a 96-98 would run with your same mods and a good driver. you forget you give up a few hundred pounds to 96-98's.

SpdPilot

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Its a posibilty, the 3.27 gear in the 96-98 Cobras don't put it in its powerband till the higher Rs by that time its to late the LS is pulling hard through there whole powerband. Get a gear (4.10/4.30) and you'll hit your power in the lower Rs and have a better chance and you with bolt-ons and a gear (lets not forget a sticky tire cause without that the gear is useless) you will have a way better chance against a "stock" LS1. The 99/01 are a hair faster and have alittle more power then the 96-98 you can tell by the trap, the 99/01 trap alittle higher...

Oh I agree about the gears. They are needed. The 99+ Cobras are on equal ground with 96-98 Cobra. A hair fast in this case is a drivers race.

epracmetcon

Established Member
On the street, anything can happen. I have a stock geared car with exhaust and I have out driven many of modded ls1's. Actually pulled away from a few lid/exhaust a4's. It all depends on the driver/tire the car is on.

SpdPilot

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Then in that case YES the 99 Cobra is faster than the 98- ones. My 99 with nothing but 4.10 gears, O/R midpipe, catback, shifter, and BBK intake outran a lightly modded LS1 by about a car or two. And at the track ran 13.1@106mph.

In what case? As has been said, just because you beat (1) LS1 does not make your case. If I raced a LS1, it would be a drivers race with edge going to the LS1. Thats IF he was stock. From the times I have seen. With a cat back and a few other minor mods, the LS1 is a 12.99 or better car. I am sorry to break the news to you, but thats just the facts. If you beat one, you got by two car lengths, you got lucky.

And if you are refering to being faster then my car, my ET is based on 3.73 gears, SO AGAIN, it would tell me that a 99 Cobra is no faster then a 96-98 Cobra. As my car, although well tuned, and a lot of suspension work (road racing), only has MAF, CAI, Catback.

I'm not sure what "case" you are trying to make, but telling someone that first, their car is a joke, then adding gears shows his tail lights to an LS1 is not doing him any favors.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
98cobra4.6 said:
Well i raced him tonight, it was ugly i lauched better but then he was gone.

Nice death! LS1 :thumbsup:

Snake-Eater

Smart Newbie?
Established Member
When I was stock I raced a 97 Cobra with 4.10s, flows, suspension, intake etc and he kept up with me pretty well. I beat him everytime but I never got a full length on him except for when we raced from a 1st gear roll and he blew the tires off because of his gears. One race we went up from about 30-140mph and he was at my fender the whole time. The only difference my car would have from that 98 LS1 is that I have a stock LS6 intake to the 98's inferior LS1. Gears made a big difference in that 97, but if you're asking what your stock 98 will do against a stock LS1 then the answer is lose.

SpdPilot

Established Member
SnakeEater said:
When I was stock I raced a 97 Cobra with 4.10s, flows, suspension, intake etc and he kept up with me pretty well. I beat him everytime but I never got a full length on him except for when we raced from a 1st gear roll and he blew the tires off because of his gears. One race we went up from about 30-140mph and he was at my fender the whole time. The only difference my car would have from that 98 LS1 is that I have a stock LS6 intake to the 98's inferior LS1. Gears made a big difference in that 97, but if you're asking what your stock 98 will do against a stock LS1 then the answer is lose.

That sounds about right, from what I know. I love my Cobra and it's true that drivers make a big difference, but I always assume that the other car going to be driven well, and in this case I won't try to convince everyone that it can beat an LS1 hands down. It would be a good race if it were stock, but I also know how well the LS1 takes to some simple mods.

But....my car looks better:-D

SpdPilot

Established Member
98cobra4.6 said:
Well i raced him tonight, it was ugly i lauched better but then he was gone.

Good try, don't beat yourself up about it. You will lose some and win some. Get some mods and try again. Thats how you learn to drive your car.

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
I always read these post but very rarely post in them especially on a Ford board. In washington I race the Car Club Challenge have been doing so since 1998 in a bunch of different GM cars. A 98 Z28, a 01 Z28, a 01 GTP, a 96 Z28 a 00
WS6 and most recently a 94 Z28.
I can't understand how anyone with a pre 99 Mustang can disregard any F-body with an LT1. My 94 Z28 is a bone Stock 122,000 mile 3.23 geared car.
It runs consitent 14.10s at 98.40 mph on a 2.1 60 foot on crappy copper tires.
I know the 6 speed ones are faster, as my 96 6-speed bone stock normally ran 13.90-80s at 101 mph.
The LT1 is an excellent motor based off the SBC which has one of the best oiling systems ever used in a small block. Granted the opti spark is not the best design, but if properly taken care of will work just fine. I just recently changed the original opt and water pump in the 94 at 121,000 miles.
Ok off my rant.

lazy

Established Member
my .02 My 1996 mystic cobra with just catback exhuast (256rwhp) ran a best 13.9 @ 101 mph. My 2000 WS6 ram air bone stock (297rwhp) on the same track ran a 13.5 @106.5 mph. I have raced my wife in both cars and the TA wins by about 3 lengths every time.

Users who are viewing this thread