98 Cobra w/mods @ Track...Way down on Power, Need Help

MuskRat

Established Member
Almost 2 years after buying my Cobra, I finally got to take it to the track. Unfortunately, the results will very disappointing and I’m convinced there is a problem sucking power out of this car somewhere. Finding what is causing this is going to be the mission and I’m coming here for help.

First…a little background: Car has 79,xxx miles on it and a somewhat unknown past with several owners. It has the following go-fast mods: 4.56’s, Longtubes, Off-road X, Pullies, Cold-Air w/ MAF, and an old Autologic chip put in by Lidio Iacobelli at Automotive Performance several years ago. The rest can be seen in my signature. The guy I bought it from knew nothing about performance and had taken it to a mechanic before he sold it to have a tune-up done with plugs/wires, all fluid and filter changes, etc… I have the paperwork on this. Other mods were from previous owners.

Now…I came from a H/C/I 94 GT that ran 12.7 @ 110…so my goal was to buy a 4V SN95 that would be somewhat comparable speedwise, but better driveability and cruiser. I thought I found it with this car and although I knew it would be a little slower than the GT…with the mods it has, I figured low 13’s @ 105-107mph would be the norm and with a little work I could crack the 12’s.

Well…I knew something wasn’t right after my first pass went 14.1 @ 101.2. I made about 5 more passes throughout the evening and the best I could muster was a 13.9 @ 101.8. I was shifting around 7k at each run. Sometimes trying 7200rpm, sometimes 6800rpm…no difference. The ET does not worry me, the track was prepped like crap and my NIttos were not sticky no matter how much I heated them up. The MPH is where I am worried though, as it indicates I could be 30hp or more low? Especially with 4.56 gears and Longtubes…not even hitting 102mph is indicating a big problem to me.

Now…it was pretty warm out…mid-to-low 80’s…and calculated DA was around 2500ft, so I could see that taking some power out…but even corrected to sea level it was not hitting 13.5 @ 105 on my best run. The consistency was weird…here were all the trap speeds:

The 1/8th miles were all around 79.5 It’s almost as if no matter how I drove it, it always was within a 0.5mph of each other…all throughout the evening and the temps probably dropped 10-15 degrees by the end of the night. I even ran the car hot and cold. It’s almost as if the car was in a sort of limp mode and always limiting to the same power.

I am still somewhat new to the 4V world, so I need to learn what the problem areas could be. Here is the short list off the top of my head:

- IMRC’s (don’t know too much about these…can they cause big power loss?)
- Chip (I didn’t pull it out to see if there was a difference…but can’t see it causing a power loss. I spoke to Lidio and he said it advances timing and spark tables and little things like that)
- MAF – This is in the inner fender…haven’t even looked at, but what should I be looking for?
- Tune-Up – Like I said, it had this done, but I could double-check everything since God knows what they put in there.
- Motor – Hope not here…but a compression test would be my thought.

The only other thought I have is a fuel issue. I say this for two reasons:
1) It has a very bad problem of not starting….cranks forever and I think it is a fuel starvation problem. Gets much much worse when hot too.
2) I’ve noticed when I get under a ¼ tank of gas and give it WOT, it sometimes hesitate and seem to jerk or miss a little. Only happens when low on gas though.

I could start by replacing the filter (although this was supposedly done) and then check the fuel pump, but that's all I can think of.

Any thoughts or advice on where else I should start looking? I want to avoid throwing money at it and will probably only be taking it to the track one more time this year in September. If I don’t hit low 13’s with at least 105mph, it will be a very long winter.

Thanks

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
That really doesn't sound all that off to me,for a 1st time with the cobra at the trac, plus those FR500's are not helping your times, what were you launching at?

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
you should be somewhere near the 300 rwhp mark which is where you prob were with the GT am I correct? I would think that with those gears your times should be way less. There are guys running those times with stock geared cars. You said the tires wouldnt get sticky and the track was prepped bad that could have something to do with it. Were you running out of gear? Most ppl and I say most knowing there is always an exception run 4.30's for a NA car. Me personally Id take the car to a tuner in your area and have it retuned. Are you positive it has gears?

MuskRat

Established Member
Guys...don't focus on ET, I know that is high...I'm worried about the MPH being 3-5mph at least under where it should be. I was walking the car out easy at 2-3k and laying into it and the best I coudl pull was 2.0's. No matter how big of a 2nd gear burnout I did, they wouldn't stick. Fast slipping the clutch at anything over 3k was spin city.

I don't live close to any tuners...so I'm trying to solve this on my own. It should'nt be that big of an issue, but I need help since I'm unfamiliar with 4v motors and these Cobras. I was in the 5.0L world for many years.

I know it has gears for many reasons...3000rpm at 75mph on the interstate...4 1/2 turns of the driveshaft for each tire rotation...the facts I have posted are all correct and have been verified.

And there was PLENTY of gear left with 101mph trap speeds, trust me :)

Anyone else?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I guess for comparison's sake, the one and only time I went to the track I couldn't pull over a 101mph trap speed. At the time the car had...

4.10 gears
alluminum driveshaft
offroad X
Catback
H&R SuperSport Springs
18" chrome Saleens with street tires

I always figured it was the crappy prep (plus being like 45 degrees that day), street tires, being a bad driver on my first time ever at the 1/4 mile strip, and the gear causing me to shift immediately before the end of traps. Haven't ever been back since to see if I could get it to do any better...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You are still in 4th at the end correct?

I would have the IMRCs checked to make sure they are opening.

That set up should be well into the 12s with a good launch and trapping 106 or better.

'96 Cobra

Cool Raul
Established Member
i think you need a new fuel pump, seafoam, clean your MAF with a air duster, clean air filter, new drag radials, and a tune asap... the IMRC'S can be deleted... i would think those gears would hurt you a little if you don't hook off the line... start with the cheapest and work your way to the most expensive... oh and SFC's would help you...

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Bro start with simple and less expensive things first. First i would change the gas filter a ($12), then complete oil change, sparkplugs and filter, (i know previous owner did it but how do u now what he used or if he did it right, i always do a complete tune up when i buy a car even if they said it just got done). If that doesnt help then i would look into the imrc, but u will kind of notice if they are sticking, the car tends to not feel good after 3200 rpm. You can remove the imrc's yourself and do what is necessary, if its not that then check the tune because thats about all i can think of. Just a example a friend of mine 96 cobra just with home made air intake, shifter, 4.10 gears and nitto drags ran a best of 12.9 i dont know the exact mph but i was then when he ran it, i ran with my complete stock 97 cobra with 18 inch saleens 14.2 at 101 mph with a bad clutch.

John4cam

Established Member
You are still in 4th at the end correct?

I would have the IMRCs checked to make sure they are opening.

That set up should be well into the 12s with a good launch and trapping 106 or better.

I would like to know this also. If your shifting late down the track thats the problem, I have 3.90's and I'm @ roughly 6400 throught the traps.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I would like to know this also. If your shifting late down the track thats the problem, I have 3.90's and I'm @ roughly 6400 throught the traps.

Is that in 3rd or 4th gear?

I have 3.73s and if I hold 3rd thru the traps I'm right at ~7000 @ 103-104 or if I short shift into 4th at like 6400 I can get 105-106 out of it.

Im about to put 4.10s in the car and I dont want to be redlining 4th gear thru the traps. I'd hate to have to throw 5th...

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member

I have 3.73s and if I hold 3rd thru the traps I'm right at ~7000 @ 103-104 or if I short shift into 4th at like 6400 I can get 105-106 out of it.

Im about to put 4.10s in the car and I dont want to be redlining 4th gear thru the traps. I'd hate to have to throw 5th...

well he has a blower, so i can see how he is getting up there with 3.90s. with 4.10s on spray, going through the traps at 117-120, im around 6500-6600 i beleive

John4cam

Established Member

Im about to put 4.10s in the car and I dont want to be redlining 4th gear thru the traps. I'd hate to have to throw 5th...[/

4th, I think 4.10's would put me right @ redline with the power im making..

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member

Im about to put 4.10s in the car and I dont want to be redlining 4th gear thru the traps. I'd hate to have to throw 5th...[/

4th, I think 4.10's would put me right @ redline with the power im making..

I failed to read your mods first... I was just curious.

I'd love to SC my car, but I dont have that kinda $$ laying around. I'm going to go the LT + tune route, with a tubular K and solid setup rear suspension.. I figure why make tons of power with no hook?

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I failed to read your mods first... I was just curious.

I'd love to SC my car, but I dont have that kinda $$ laying around. I'm going to go the LT + tune route, with a tubular K and solid setup rear suspension.. I figure why make tons of power with no hook?

solid rear suspension? if you mean spherical bushings on everything, you might want to rethink that. They are noisy as all hell.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
solid rear suspension? if you mean spherical bushings on everything, you might want to rethink that. They are noisy as all hell.

I meant decent upper/lower control arms with 4.10s

I have 3.73s and stock upper/lowers, and those bushings are BEYOND shot. You wanna hear noisey, just bounce my car at all, it creeks horribly.

John4cam

Established Member
I meant decent upper/lower control arms with 4.10s

I have 3.73s and stock upper/lowers, and those bushings are BEYOND shot. You wanna hear noisey, just bounce my car at all, it creeks horribly.

If your staying N/A why not go 4.30's? Or you may be planning to s/c in the future? My car actually hooks well with the stock suspension, it's just my clutch that sucks, a set of et streets should do just fine for the mods your planning, might be able to save some $$..

MuskRat

Established Member
Ok guys...it looks like my thread was hijacked a little.

To get back on track...I shifted from 1st to 2nd at @ 7200rpm, then 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th at @ 7000rpm. I didn't specifically see what the rpm was at when I crossed the traps, but I'm sure it was nowhere near running out of gear.

I think Marcosvt was right on with his suggestions of starting with the basics. I need to eliminate the obvious and then go from there. Which I will do.

Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread