99/01 cobra VS 2007 GT

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
I indeed agree with you on this one but man I gotta be honest when I had my 2000 GT with just a MAC Exhaust on it I test Drove a 99 Cobra as I was thinking of trading it in. The Cobra honestly felt slower than my GT I walked away from that car very unimpressed. It may have been that the car was never fixed to make the factory rated numbers but none the less I can see why the 99/01 cobras get a bad wrap. :rolling:

Then you didn't wring it out. Unless you run a 99/01 all the way to 6500 it will feel slightly slower than a 2V GT. WOT at 3600 is magical.

After I wrecked my 02 GT I just wanted the exact same car I had. I saw the Cobra on a lot driving by and took it out for a test drive. Tooling around town it felt like a bunch of torque was just GONE. Then I punched it from a dead stop and damn near shit my pants.

And the IRS is a good thing to some of us....;-)

Dirk

Established Member
I did own a '99 Cobra for 8 years and raced it on the Autobahn in Germany.
It was kind of "slow" before the HP fix came out, I was beaten by a BMW M5 that time.
After the fix and little mods I was quicker.
I tried 4.10s and 3.73s on the car usual bolt ons and a T56.

It made 320hp to the wheels and ran 168mph on a good day.

When I got my stock '03 Cobra I was disappointed first, because my '99 wasn't much slower.
Most important on the Cobra are gears, sticky tires and little IRS mods to stay away from the wheel hop.

It’s a great car, you just have to rev it to stay in the powerband.

Ok I have to admit, it can’t compete with a modded ’03 Cobra.

Last edited:

Zeekmann

Established Member
You think it was a 99 / 01 cobra? I think you mean you wish, if you can drive/ a GT can not beat a cobra. I will run your GT for pink slips

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
You think it was a 99 / 01 cobra? I think you mean you wish, if you can drive/ a GT can not beat a cobra. I will run your GT for pink slips

Ive ran a 01 cobra before with bolt ons,beat him too. Run for pink slips?...gtfo
i cant believe this thread is still going

venomnous99

Twin Turbo'ed
Established Member
Well I have not had the pleasure of driving a new GT, but did lay the smack down on a 2007 with exhaust the other day. Twice from a dig, and once from 35. This was in the wifey's Lexus IS 350. It would have been a waste of gas money in the Cobra. But honestly, I was not impressed, although that little IS will move out pretty well for a family truckster...

JoePac

Established Member
Well, this thread has gone back and fourth for months...WTF! I've owned a 99' Cobra(rio red) and now own a 06'Roush. I've had both and both have been great cars....Now let this thread go away.

Users who are viewing this thread