99/01 cobra VS 2007 GT

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The FireHawk usually came with a lid/catback from the factory, suspension upgrades, rims, etc (though I can't say any of them have proven to be 'faster' than any other model), SS/WS6 cars came with options, a neat hood, nice rims, rear spoiler, beefier tires, and I believe slightly bigger swaybars/better shocks. The options for the '345hp' package were a lid/catback I believe. Though once again they have never proven themselves to be a step beyond a Z28 or Formula. If you check my times I rank up there with some of the quicker times recorded and all I have is a 'base Z28'. :) Both a Z28 and SS have gone 12s bone stock (12.89 in the Z28 and 12.96 in the SS at 108mph and 107mph respectively) so no difference in performance really to speak of. Generally speaking an LS1 = LS1 = LS1 when it comes to F-Bodys. All M6 cars (except in 1993 when you could get 2.73s) came with 3.42 gears (Z28/Formula/WS6/SS, etc), and Autos had either 2.73s (std Z28/Formula), or 3.23s (Opt for Z28/Formula, Std for WS6/SS):beer:

Thanks for the 411. Kinda ironic that their performance pkgs did nothing for performance. At least with SVT you knew you were getting better performance for your money. Not a slam- just an observation.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I believe (99.9% sure) it was a 13.3 @ 103mph...I looked it up a few months ago....(because I didn't believe it)...

Gene K on mustang forums posted a slip and vouched (Gene K is a stand up member on there) that his buddy went 13.27 @ 103mph in some rediculous negative DA in an S197. That's the fastest pass I know of, but there is no 'proof' short of a slip, and that guys word. (which to me is good enough but you guys don't know him from jack)

I was also impressed with those GT times. I am looking for the exact article but Scott Hoag ran a 12.8 in a stock Mach- certainly not a norm but it shows the potential for a properly driven Mach1. I'm sure the fact that he actually helped design and build the Mach had something to do with him knowing exactly how to drive it.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I am looking for the exact article but Scott Hoag ran a 12.8 in a stock Mach- certainly not a norm but it shows the potential for a properly driven Mach1.

Just for clarification sake (stuff like this is gospel 2 mins after it's read), Scott was on Drag Radials Correct?

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
:read:I'm thinking that Ford/Mazda reduced the numbers due to problems with past models and law suit's (IE) '99 Cobra/ Miata . GM suprised me with the F-Bodies making power near or over the standard Vette's.

rev440

young punk
Established Member
Ah yes. Well, the Vette's were supposed to have a different tune.

At least that's what I read when I was looking into engines (was gonna put an LS1 in an RX7 - but a wrecked Cobra motor sounds better! Haha). I believe it was Hinson Super Cars that said that putting the LS1 out of a Corvette in your RX7 won't give you anymore power... as the Corvette's extra power came from it's ECU.

Your just thinking you will be like cream and never get the ls1 in the rx7. Buy a FD and put a ls1 in it, Im a ford guy but Ill be the first to say thats a sick swap.

USMCFieldMP

.:Longhorn Racing:.
Established Member
Your just thinking you will be like cream and never get the ls1 in the rx7. Buy a FD and put a ls1 in it, Im a ford guy but Ill be the first to say thats a sick swap.

Haha, indeed. It is a wicked deal.

I'm sure that I'll get around to it one day soon. Maybe I should just sell the SS, but a shit DD car... and then build the LSx RX7... haha.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
My 01 vert 100% stock was 287rwhp and 298rwtq on a hot engine. I have only ran into 3 05 up gt's with im guessing no or little mods and from a stop they pulled a half car on me cause i go easy on the car and by 60 or so my rear bumper was just ahead of them. It was the exact same every time.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
One thing I find interesting is when you go FI on the S197's- mod for mod they consistantly get higher HP out of thier cars.

Not from what I've seen.

I've heard (don't know for sure) that the 3v heads actually breath almost as well as the 4v- how that's possible I don't know:shrug: Doesn't make sense to me. But numbers don't lie.

Indeed they don't lie, and the 3V heads are down by almost 30 cfm on the intake side and by more on the exhaust side when compared to 03+ 4V heads.

I've heard (again I don't know for certain) is the weak point on the S197's is the headers- even on the GT500. It was mentioned in MM&FF how surprising it was when they changed out the headers just how much more HP they got.

The 3V S197s have by far the best of the Modular exhaust manifolds.

PACETTR

Established Member
Indeed they don't lie, and the 3V heads are down by almost 30 cfm on the intake side and by more on the exhaust side when compared to 03+ 4V heads.

Is that with a stock bore? Stock lift? How do they compare to the pre-03 heads? How do the intakes of each compare? What about the cams?

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Not from what I've seen.

From what I've seen the Procharged and Vorteched (the intercooled versions) S197's with basic supporting mods dyno north of 485RWHP- I've seen a couple in the low 500's. I realize that dyno #'s don't tell the whole story but that's higher than their 4v cousins with similar systems by 20 hp or so.

TrickStang37

Established Member
From what I've seen the Procharged and Vorteched (the intercooled versions) S197's with basic supporting mods dyno north of 485RWHP- I've seen a couple in the low 500's. I realize that dyno #'s don't tell the whole story but that's higher than their 4v cousins with similar systems by 20 hp or so.

which 4v cousins?

wma8706

Established Member

is this on equal supercharger models and equal boost? e trim or sc trim? P1, P1 stage 2 or D1? Too many varaibles. Its not hard to get 500+ rwhp from the basic superchargers you mentioned. Its backing down the power for engine longevity that gives you the final numbers. Are the 05-08 gt internals any stronger than the 4v aluminum engines?

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
PACETTR said:
Is that with a stock bore? Stock lift? How do they compare to the pre-03 heads? How do the intakes of each compare? What about the cams?

Stock bore (.020 over actually, so a 3.572" bore), .500" lift (4V) vs. .600" lift (3V), 3V has a slightly better intake manifold stock for stock, cams depend on the year of the 4V. The Mach 1s have the least aggressive intake cam profiles of the Mustang 4Vs, but also have the cleanest intake manifold castings, best cylinder heads and the most compression.

Mach1USMC said:

There are Eaton swapped stock long block Machs making that kind of power, there's just way too many variables when comparing power adders. If everything's apples to apples, the 4V is going to make more power.

Its backing down the power for engine longevity that gives you the final numbers. Are the 05-08 gt internals any stronger than the 4v aluminum engines?

A bit weaker, actually. The 3V pistons have the thinnest ring-lands.

Last edited:

PACETTR

Established Member
Stock bore (.020 over actually, so a 3.572" bore), .500" lift (4V) vs. .600" lift (3V), 3V has a slightly better intake manifold stock for stock, cams depend on the year of the 4V. The Mach 1s have the least aggressive intake cam profiles of the Mustang 4Vs, but also have the cleanest intake manifold castings, best cylinder heads and the most compression.

There are Eaton swapped stock long block Machs making that kind of power, there's just way too many variables when comparing power adders. If everything's apples to apples, the 4V is going to make more power.

A bit weaker, actually. The 3V pistons have the thinnest ring-lands.

On a stock bore the 4v will show little if any advantage in flow, and the 3v will have much better cylinder fill at low-mid lift, which is why in stock and near-stock applications the 3v can hang with the 4v...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
On a stock bore the 4v will show little if any advantage in flow

A .020" overbore (standard rebuild) has virtually no impact on cylinder head flow, so you will see basically the same gap in flow on a 3.552" bore as you see on a 3.572" bore.

The 4V has larger intake valves (37mm vs. 34.7mm) and an extra exhaust valve, they outflow 3V heads.

and the 3v will have much better cylinder fill at low-mid lift, which is why in stock and near-stock applications the 3v can hang with the 4v...

4V heads outflow 3Vs slightly below .200" lift and take off after that. In fact, that's why stock 4V cams can get away with only .390" lift as opposed to the 3Vs .440" lift.

Last edited:

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
Don't want to sound like an Ass here. The lack of RESPECT to the 99-01 cobras here is appalling and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I've got to stick up for the New edge cobras here. They are indeed the Bastard child of the SVT community due to the 99 cobra fiasco and the rise of the Terminators. I've even seen posts of 99-04 GT saying its a drivers race with the 99-01 cobra. I guess ...anything can be a drivers race. Please explain to me why your current bone stock 4.6 3v engine is any greater at making power than a 4v 4.6 engine built 9-12 years ago. Are the 3v heads better breathing than the B or C-heads or is the cam more aggressive? Is the transmission and suspension that much improved? Which car has the better power to weight ratio ? Truth is... the crappy stock gears in the newedge and IRS wheel hop is what prevents the 99-01 cobras from showing its TRUE potential!

I indeed agree with you on this one but man I gotta be honest when I had my 2000 GT with just a MAC Exhaust on it I test Drove a 99 Cobra as I was thinking of trading it in. The Cobra honestly felt slower than my GT I walked away from that car very unimpressed. It may have been that the car was never fixed to make the factory rated numbers but none the less I can see why the 99/01 cobras get a bad wrap. :rolling:

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
me and my dad were leaving a car show in his 1970 chevelle and there was a brand new GT at a light. this guy thought he had real race car when he burned out when the light turned green. but at the next light (when the 550hp chevelle was warm) that guy got left in a cloud of smoke

i hate to admit it but i was raised as a GM guy

Users who are viewing this thread