99 Cobra +150 shot launch video

Joe Lynch

Established Member
I edited two runs down to show how you have to baby the little T-45 trans on launch and on the 1-2 shift in these cars. Even I am surprised I've not had any trans problem in 4 years of running the car.

http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1011.mpg

The shocks are too loose on these two runs. Will try one click stiffer next time.

I had some computer edge connector problems and we had rain and 20 mph head winds, so times were not good--11.5 at 121 but the launches were interesting. I nearly killed it on the first pass launching at 6k so I didn't include it. Only made 3 passes before the rain started.

Even a bad night is fun, LOL.

Joe Lynch

svtdohc96

Established Member
what rear wheels and slicks are you using? I need to have a 1.4 or 1.5 something 60 ft.!! Any help would be appreciated. to many mods to list 96 cobra with 297.52 hp and 298.33 trq. at the rear.on motor. best e.t. 12.996 at 106.12 with a 1.69 60ft on bfg drs set at 14 psi. thanks for any help on lowering 60 foot?

Last edited:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
The best 60' I could do at this altitude on motor was right at 1.60. That is because it was power limited rather than traction limited. The car now improves in 60' as the power is increased by the size of the nitrous shot. Roughly 1.52 on a 75 shot, and 1.45 or so on a 150 shot.

The wheels are 15x10 Weld Pro-Stars with 6.5" backspacing and the tires are 26x10/15 ET Drags with the L8 compound, no tubes, no screws, at 12 psi.

Joe

svtdohc96

Established Member
Hey Joe, what type of motor mounts are you running? I talked to energysuspension and the guy said that they are still in development for the 96-03 bras. I am getting alot of wiggle from my engine. Also, do you think I should remove the front factory strut tower brace? It seems heavy and all of the new 4valve cars don't even have one? Thanks again , L the B

Joe Lynch

Established Member
stock mounts, no braces or changes. I don't have any strut tower brace at all, but I am not sure what was stiffened to allow them to leave it off the 99 cars. I have sub frame connectos and a 6 point roll bar so my car is very stiff.

Joe

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I am very impressed at how your car leaves the line, looks like its a handful as well out past 60ft or does it straighten out on its own??

I need a live axle for my 03...seeing your video makes me want one even more.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Broke 7--I was afraid someone would notice that I was moving around. It is lack of concentration on my part. If I remember to put my left hand at 9 o clock on the steering wheel instead of at 12, I don't jerk the wheel when I shift. I also tend to watch the tach rather than the strip. I don't have the shift light set points set correctly yet to allow me to just watch for the light. The car doesn't get too bad as long as I don't get below 12 psi in the tires. At 11.5 is wanders around at speed on its own.

Tightening the rebound control on the shocks will keep the front end from bobbing and that will also help the stability on the shifts.

By November, maybe I'll have some videos where I do everything right and the car is perfect as well, LOL.

Joe Lynch

Joe Lynch

Established Member
SPEC Stage 3 works great in this application. I think I will get 100 launches like in the video before I wear the disk enough to replace it.

Broke 7-- I ran with the IRS for 2-1/2 years before finally giving up and putting in the live axle. My car was the GKN halfshaft test mule. I haven't missed the IRS at all. That said, I am pleasantly surprised at how well the '03 cars have been doing. I thought they would have a lot more trouble than they have.

Joe Lynch

Last edited:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Detroit Locker, 31 spline Superior axles, Superior bearing cap on left side, welded axle tubes, HPMotorsports Megabite Jr and DA uppers, air bags on each side, 32 psi in right side, 15 psi left, ET Drags 26x10/15, 4.56 gears. I have over 150 passes on this setup with no problems at all.
Joe

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Not till this year. I finished a forged internal rebuild a couple of months ago. JE flat top pistons, Houston Performance regrind cams, SHM valve spring kit, short runner intake, SHM oil pump gears, Canton pan, Eagle rods. That is why it will run 8k rpm now. I ran the stock untouched short block, cams, intake until April of this year. On a 100 shot, it went 11.6 at 116 with a 1.43 60' in cool weather with a 7050 stock rev limiter. The rebuilt engine is about 50 hp stronger on motor and a 100 hp more on a 150 shot. I did the engine myself.

The valve gear is good for 8500 at least. But the power peak is at 6900, so I shift it at 8000.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread