99 Cobra No Start After Sitting 8 Months

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
So my throwout bearing failed back in October of last year and I finally got around to replacing that and the clutch. The car sat in the garage for those 8 months without being started. I rolled it out of the garage after the clutch job and hooked the battery back up. The car cranked strong but no start. I put 5 gallons of new gas in but still no start. The battery was new last year, and I've kept a trickle charge on it as well periodically, so it was always showing good voltage when I tried started it (plus I have a big charger).

I didn't really smell any gas, and I couldn't hear the fuel pump relay, so I turned the key to on and opened the schrader valve on the fuel rail momentarily. The first few tries yielding nothing, no pressure. About the 6th or 7th time I was surprised when I got a good stream of gas, but the car still didn't start. A few more times with the key on and again no pressure. It keeps cranking fine but no dice yet, and that's all I've checked so far. The fuel pump fuse checked out fine.

Just looking for any tips or ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Fuel pump is probably bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thought crossed my mind, I've been trying to find some good diagnostic tests in the shop manual. How can I confirm the pump is bad?

96gt02

Established Member
Bang on the tank with a hammer a few times and if it starts your pump is bad

KGcobra

Established Member
That thought crossed my mind, I've been trying to find some good diagnostic tests in the shop manual. How can I confirm the pump is bad?
Usually you can here the pump prime when you turn the key to 'on'.

The harness going to the fuel pump is behind the rear bumper, I think it was a 7 pin connector. You can check if the correct pin is getting power when you turn on the key, if it's getting power then you can at least rule out the fuel pump module/relays/inertia switch.

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Usually you can here the pump prime when you turn the key to 'on'.

The harness going to the fuel pump is behind the rear bumper, I think it was a 7 pin connector. You can check if the correct pin is getting power when you turn on the key, if it's getting power then you can at least rule out the fuel pump module/relays/inertia switch.

Yeah, I've listened closely and I can't really hear it, but it's hard to say. I will check for that connector, I should be able to find the pinout in the manual, thanks.

Since it went down 8 months ago, I only unhooked the battery, and unplugged the tranny harness (O2 sensors, tranny connections), and replaced the clutch. Everything else was working beforehand, and it always started up without issue, so I'm thinking this issue is fuel related because it sat for so long.

Last edited:

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
So I've tested the 7-pin connector and I see a reference voltage on 4.97V at a couple of the pins and a voltage of 11.5V at one of the pins I'm assuming is the power for the pump? Without a correct pinout it's difficult to tell, but I did find the ground and it has a closed circuit. The best I could find from Google is this one for a 2000 Windstar, but the wire colors are definitely different and I'm not sure the pins match exactly, but it's the same idea.

I have my shop manual but for pinouts it refers me to the Powertrain Control / Emissions Diagnosis manual. Anyone have a PDF or link for that?

2000_windstar_fuel_pump_connector.JPG

RX1Cobra

Established Member
This happened to my 01 a few years ago. Pumped died over winter storage. I had to bang on the tank a bunch of times and it finally started but sputtered and ran like shit. Replaced the pump and good to go. I've since changed to an 03 tank setup.

I may still have the replacement pump laying around (Ford Part not cheap aftermarket garbage). If I do you can have it for whatever it costs me to ship it. I might even have an SVT Focus pump sitting too. Can't remember, been a few years. Same deal if you want it just whatever it costs to ship.

isdnmatt

Established Member
I've had 1 of my two focus pumps go bad over winter storage as well. Had to bang on the tank and to get that one going. I've gone to GT pumps since though.

Users who are viewing this thread