99 mustang gt transmission

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Does anyone know how much the stock 99 mustang gt transmission can handle... iam looking to put down some serious numbers in the future and just wanted to know how much the stock tranny can and handle and wats a good upgraded tranny for when i need to get one? thanks!

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Really? i just got an answer from someone on another forum and they said there running almost 600 on there stock tranny but then again they dont launch the car

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Really depends on how long you want the transmission to function for. Tremec specs state that the t45 is rated at 325 ft lbs. Yes you can put more down, but the more power, obviously the shorter the transmission will last. I have seen mid 400s without major problems, but after several thousand miles you start to hear more gear whine and I have seen several t45s break when treated poorly with mid 400 torque. So it all depends on how you are going to drive your car. If you want something that will take a beating with high hp, the t45 is not the trans you want.

ls2 klr

Established Member
Mine made 540/650 with a stock t45 for yrs with no issues. However, my car was never taken to the track.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
it SHOULD be able to handle 400 wheel no problem, but it won't last forever at that level.

all depends on how you drive it, you can break it with stock power if you try.

99black5spd

Established Member
its no fun having all that power and not doing n e launches lol....i wish i could say that if i had that amount of power and wasnt gunna launch the shit out of it lol

teufel GT

Established Member
My t45 was fine at 409/398....never launched from a dig...some hard shifts here and there and it never failed me. Now once I moved up to 444/489 things changed....after about a 1000 miles and a few hard pulls the Trans began to whine in 3/4...I didn't beat the crap out of it, just a few pulls here and there....just went with a lib built tko600!

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
My t45 was fine at 409/398....never launched from a dig...some hard shifts here and there and it never failed me. Now once I moved up to 444/489 things changed....after about a 1000 miles and a few hard pulls the Trans began to whine in 3/4...I didn't beat the crap out of it, just a few pulls here and there....just went with a lib built tko600!

How much did that tranny run you?

teufel GT

Established Member
How much did that tranny run you?

youll need about 3100 give or take a few hundred . It was 2600 or so on the Trans (need to look at invoice) depending on which route you go. I went with the liberty spec built tko600 with a 26 spline. So clutch upgrade was required. Plus you'll need the bellhousing and hardware and a steeda drive shaft spacer. The crossmember will need to fabed also, nothing crazy.

Mine shifts perfect after a few hundred miles of break in.

You can buy used and save money. But I like the idea of new. Liberty states that it's the smoothest shifting tko on the market...and to be honestly it's smooth as hell. Feels like a stock Trans but with some beef to it.

I saved a lot of cash buying the parts need on the forums (bellhousing is about 300+..found it for 90 used) also picked up the housing bolts which are longer from a hardware store for under 15 bucks. The spacer with run you 60 new. And you can guess how much a new or used clutch will run you. I think my set up including new fly/clutch ran me 3200.

teufel GT

Established Member
Compared with the T56..I went with the tko.
Couple reasons.
Just as expansive new. Plus you need bellhousing, hardware, drive shaft, and if you run a 26spline a clutch upgrade.
Just my opinion. A base model tko will run you a little over 2. But I wasn't comfortable with all the issues I read about how people have problems getting into 3rd gear and figured if I was going to go tko might as well save myself the misfortune of running into that issue and pick up one upgraded.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That was an excellent transmission choice. You should be good (easily) at your power level. Fairly common to see T-45 owners making big power upgrade to the TKO600. :thumbsup:

teufel GT

Established Member
That was an excellent transmission choice. You should be good (easily) at your power level. Fairly common to see T-45 owners making big power upgrade to the TKO600. :thumbsup:

It's great! By the way I installed your gasket after I broke in the Trans and I was surprised at the noticeable different in noise reduction!

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info from what you told me this will be the trans i get when i get the funds to do so.... i would rather get the trans done with first then get my motor set up after... thanks !

teufel GT

Established Member
Thanks for the info from what you told me this will be the trans i get when i get the funds to do so.... i would rather get the trans done with first then get my motor set up after... thanks !

Either way you should ne fine that is unless you beat on the Trans. It will last until you can buy an upgrade. But being safe and upgrading support before the power Is also smart.
Glad I could help. Feel free to pm if you have any questions on my set up.

Users who are viewing this thread