99 SVT Cobra Question!

Mellis

Established Member
Hey guys! Im new here and im looking for some professional advice. I currently drive a '91 5.0 GT auto, and im looking to upgrade. My dream car is a 03-04 SVT cobra, but they are a little expensive as i am still in school and only working part time. I was looking around my area, and i found a 1999 SVT Cobra. It was obviously before SVT made then with the superchargers, however they still pack a punch. I was wondering is a 99 Cobra with 96k miles worth almost $9,000?

Heres the link to the car. Please tell me what you think!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=5299

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I'd say it really depends on the condition and mods. I payed $10k for a '99 with 87k miles just a month ago, but it had exhaust, and a full coilover suspension.

In the end though, its all about what the car is worth to YOU.

Mellis

Established Member
Thats true, would you say anything other then stock exhaust is good? I havent gone and seen the car yet, since its an hour and a half away, i want to make sure its worth the gas trip haha. But it seems more likely that ill have to go out and see it to make my decision.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Hes not getting a good deal if he sells it for 9k, but you can also find a better. I bought a 01 cobra, 75k miles, exhaust being only mod, for 9,800 about a month ago.

cobraracer46

Banned
Hey guys! Im new here and im looking for some professional advice.
I currently drive a '91 5.0 GT auto, and im looking to upgrade. My dream car is a 03-04 SVT cobra, but they are a little expensive as i am still in school and only working part time.

Please tell me what you think!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
First off, your priorities are all messed up: Focusing on a car instead of your studies is foolish. Second, you dream about owning a 03 Cobra,but to be frank, any sports car like a 99 Cobra or even the vehicle you are driving right now should be in your dreams as well because you can't afford any one of them. If you need a new set of wheels, buy a cheap V6 mustang or a bicycle, not a Cobra that costs a ton of money to insure.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Thats true, would you say anything other then stock exhaust is good? I havent gone and seen the car yet, since its an hour and a half away, i want to make sure its worth the gas trip haha. But it seems more likely that ill have to go out and see it to make my decision.

I'd say anything hacked together by a muffler shop is NOT good. There are too many, trouble free, bolt on exhausts for these cars to mess with an exhaust shop's work.

Mellis

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Of course school is my first priority, however the 91 is getting old and costing me money to fix it up, which isn't going to increase the value. Ill most definitely keep searching around for that perfect deal, and ill be posting here more frequently. Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: I actually just found out that it is all stock. Maybe ill have to do some price dealing..

How much is it average for an exhaust job, depending on the type. And is it an easy thing to do yourself? My 91 has flowmasters on it, but i bought it that way so i dont really know much about prices.

They also have a 01 Bullitt mustang, http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=5299 Which seems very nice, but its $11,000 with 62k miles. Do Bullitt's usually have 16v or 32v engines?

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Of course school is my first priority, however the 91 is getting old and costing me money to fix it up, which isn't going to increase the value. Ill most definitely keep searching around for that perfect deal, and ill be posting here more frequently. Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: I actually just found out that it is all stock. Maybe ill have to do some price dealing..

How much is it average for an exhaust job, depending on the type. And is it an easy thing to do yourself? My 91 has flowmasters on it, but i bought it that way so i dont really know much about prices.

They also have a 01 Bullitt mustang, http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=5299 Which seems very nice, but its $11,000 with 62k miles. Do Bullitt's usually have 16v or 32v engines?

all bullits are 16v. installing a catback exhaust can definetily be done alone over a weekend with basic hand tools, and a little muscle.

matt87

Established Member
i've seen that car myself,it was there for a long time. i started looking at cobras back in march and it was sitting on the lot. i'd say no more than 7,900 based on condition and miles. whats your price range? theres a few out there.

Last edited:

Mellis

Established Member
i've seen that car myself,it was there for a long time. i started looking at cobras back in march and it was sitting on the lot. i'd say no more than 7,900 based on condition and miles. whats your price range? theres a few out there.

OH awesome! A local haha. My price range is around $12,000 max i would say. If i can sell my car and come up with 1000 cash thats a nice down payment. They have some pretty sweet svt cobras down there, i called today and they said they get them in all the time.

and $7500 seems like the price i was looking for, but thats going pretty far down from the price. knowing its been there for a while though should be able to get the price down more.

and thanks for the info on the catback! that will save so much money on labor... frigging ridiculous prices they charge an hour...:rolleyes:

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I have an 01 cobra vert with 32k miles. I looked at your link to the 99 an it is not worth that. I am in agreement with someone else on here that if right now you cannot afford to get a cobra that will last you without putting alot of money into it then buy a used 97 toyota corolla for $ 4-5 K and save your money and get what you really want later on. I have bought alot of cars both off of private owners and used car dealers and I do not trust dealers. The mark up on the car is so high. they probably paid $6K for the car and raise the price $3-4 k. If ou are dead set against waiting then try and buy from a private owner. GL

matt87

Established Member
i'll keep my eyes peeled for you around here. i'd have to pass on the veraka 99 only because the high miles and the uncertain past of the car. its always a gamble buying used. did they offer even a small warrenty ?

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
First things first I would not touch the 99 cobra without knowing if its had the fixed intake manifold and upgraded exhaust put on it. I would not touch this thing without it because that means you will either have to upgrade both or have ford fix them and thats gonna cost a fortune either way. Also there should be a sticker someplace on the engine bay saying if the ECU has been reflashed by ford. The price is pretty fair I mean Kelly Blue Book will very by location but I bought my 99 mid july with 94k on it for 9k even. A good condition cobra no matter the year in my area is going for 8-12k NA and as high as 32k for a clean 03-04. I think the price is fair but always try and haggle them a bit no need to pay the asking price if they will settle for less. My cobra had all the fixes done already and ran really well. I bought it from Anderson Ford here in the Kansas City Area and they had replaced all my fluids with Royal Purple (engine tranny diff). Hope I could help good luck. Rio Red is the way to go I love my car!!

PS Dont go with a GT they are not the same I had an 02 GT with the same miles and the driveability and hp of the cobras are ridiculous. The IRS is not the most ideal for drag cars but the difference in handling over my old car and my new cobra is amazing I love it will never buy a GT again.

Mellis

Established Member
1999 SVT cobra, thanks so much for your input. I was thinking of discarding the idea of getting it, but youve changed my mind once again (jee thanks lol). I called and asked for information on it today, and they said its completly stock... is this a problem? it seems really nice still, and if i can get them down on the price id be very happy. someone told me that installing a catback exhaust is not very difficult, and i think they are around 400$ (PLEASE TELL ME IF IM WRONG)

and another question. what is "ECU has been reflashed." im still learning much about cars so bare with me lol. Once again, THANK YOU for your input.

matt87

Established Member
a reflash is the change of engine managment in the computer. hey if you go see that cobra, check the tires. if you look closely it looks like snow tires on it! you set on going through a dealer for financing? did you see that vortec s/c'd green 99 that highline auto group has? i looked at it with a friend and it was pretty clean. think it was in the 12k range.

Mellis

Established Member
matt87, yeah i saw that. the engine is mint on that, but the color of the car... i dunno if i could invest in something im not completely happy with, and that color is hideous lol. how much would a full paint job cost? becauase that would sure last me longer then the 99 cobra im looking into. oh, and did the green one have a nice sound to it? nice and loud? :D
Id probably be able to get them down too hopefully, because no one is gonna buy a cobra in the winter in massachusetts. well, assuming no one is like me. plus they will jack up prices come spring time.
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=5299

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
well i guess that color is a like it or hate it kind of thing. i hated it personally so did my friend who was looking. the paint was very nice condition though. the interior was ok at best. it looks like whoever owned it before either swapped stock parts back on and traded it in. besides the s/c everything was stock, not even a boost guage! just an idea but why not look into a 01-03 gt? they are in you price range. probally will have less miles, and stock for stock i think a gt has more down low grunt than a cobra making it seem quicker off the line. just an idea for ya!

Users who are viewing this thread