99 SVT Cobra Question!

Mellis

Established Member
Thanks for the advice again matt. Im not sure about cobras/gt's. So far out of all the cars have looked into have been GT's. Im afraid if i look into a cobra, there will be no turning back haha.. oh and another quick question...

This might sound really really stupid... but whats the difference between
jackson_racing_supercharger.jpg
that kind of supercharger and this kind?
sc_1.jpg

matt87

Established Member
ahh search is your friend on that one. for a quick rundown, the first is a roots style blower, sits on top of engine, lots of low end torque, heat soak can be a problem on the less efficient 03/04 eaton style. the second is a centrifgual blower, they make power as rpms come up similiar to a turbo in apearance. you'll see tons of them installed on 96-01 4v cobras. i'm sure others can give a much more in depth lecture than i!

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Hi, i just saw your post and from the standpoint of a guy that just sold a 99 for an 04...that 99 isnt worth that much being bone stock. Its a buyers market so bad news for sellers but i nearly cried when i let go of my 99 but it was geared, bolt ons and tuned and i let it go for 9k...not a single taker for what i had hoped with 12k on the market for nearly 2 months. Negotiate or keep your eyes open. Chcek craigslist too... thats where i found my 04. Fyi, i also just saw anoter 03 on there (dallas), white, single owner, stock and ~30k miles for $19k i think. There are some good deals just keep your eyes open

Mellis

Established Member
Thanks for the head up slr135. Im looking for all the advice i can get haha. I dont want to make a mistake when buying this car. I found my 91 5.0 on autotrader and met up with the guy and just bought it, Luckily there was nothing wrong with it, but its time for an upgrade. Really looking for a cobra, but if i can find a nice GT that gets me hyped up, ill for sure look into it.

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
Okay first of all, i hate when people say not to buy a car when your in college because that's not true. A car is a car and from the sounds of it, it's not going to be "detracting" from his studies. What's he going to do sit outside and wash it while he's supposed to be studying? I know lots of people at my college with new GTO's, newer EVO's, etc. 9k for a 99 cobra is not a ridiculous amount to spend for a DD (which it sounds like it'll be).

If your price max is 12k, I'd say look for an 01. They are typically better kept, have less miles, and have quite a few nice features over the 99 (such as the seats, rear bumper, etc.). DONT worry about small mods like exhaust, intakes etc. because they do little for the value, and believe me the dealer will try to tell you otherwise. Exhaust you can pick up for 300 used, intake even cheaper, and other parts are all over the place. If you buy a stock car you have a much better chance it was not beat on, but ride a higher chance that it was not taken care of, so that's a hard call whether its better or not.

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
and honestly, in this market with the winter months coming up, you might get super lucky and find an 03 for dirt cheep. I bought my procharged 01 with 28k on it for 16.5 and had the option of buying a stock 03 with almost 80k for 17, but went with the lower miles more modded one because it wasn't 140 miles away and havent looked back since. BTW my car rapes stock 03s :)

Mellis

Established Member
BlownVenom01, thank you so much for proving the school point haha. I work part time and i have since i was 15. I know what responsibility is, and its time for me to get my first Cobra. I think ill go check out that 99, but still not 100% about it. Ill have to check it out in person. Thanks for the advice guys, and keep it coming!

~Mike

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
believe me, if your not 100% sure you want it the first second you lay eyes on it, there's a better one out there. There's no shortage of cobras for sale right now so do your research, get the facts, and get educated on cobras before you go out there and buy one. This is my fifth mustang and my third cobra, and I still don't know everything about them.

This forum will be your best friend...

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member

Mellis

Established Member
Thanks for the ideas BlownVenom01! My only problem is that i dont have cash for a car. I have my trade and maybe 1000 extra which is why i was looking into dealers. There are so many nice cars here though, but also far away. Those were good prices though, which give me more of an idea of what to look for.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
Compression Test before you buy. This isnt a ford dealership so they may be grimey, check my signature. I bought a used 350z with a bad motor, probably because the a-hole said all fluids were just replaced, and that definintely wasnt the case. Long story short I had to sue the dealership and I won and still waiting on my money.

Mellis

Established Member
Wow, well good for you for winning the case. how could they not give you the money back... what a bunch of jerks.

On the brighter side, I found out i have available funds left over that i can get from my school! Ill be able to get around another $6,000 that i wont have to worry about until i graduate. so buying a 12,000 car with 6k down plus my trade, will be great for my part time job while in school!

cd03

Banned
hey man. im in college to and i just bought a 99 cobra with 38000 miles for 9000. ill have pics up soon. this was an incredible deal though. i had a v6 mustang with a screwed up title and 88500 miles that i sold in 2 days on ebay. and then i ran across this cobra. keep lookin. ull find a good deal. i might have just lucked out tho

Users who are viewing this thread