A bit of a conundrum

steeltoe

Established Member
So in a lot of the anti ecoboost threads I post a video of a Fiat 500 Abarth 695 Biposto rev'ing to prove that small displacement turbo motors can sound good and aggressive. So I decided to do some research on it and I saw a very interesting option............

So here is the conundrum why does a Fiat 500 come with a dog box trans when the high tech purpose built $70K GT350R and $75K Z/28 don't? I'd like to hear a reasonable answer.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Have you ever driven a car with a dog box... lol they are not so much for street driving.

You could also say why don't they fit the gt350 or Z28 with heim joints everywhere. Well excessive NVH comes to mind:)

Also the windows on that abarth don't roll down...

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
^^^
This. driving something with dog cut gears on anything except a race track is going to be maddening.

The GT350R and Z/28 may be "track ready" but make no mistake that they'll get driven a lot on the roads as well. There's only so much harshness you can allow before somebody just decides to buy a race car instead.

steeltoe

Established Member
Have you ever driven a car with a dog box... lol they are not so much for street driving.

You could also say why don't they fit the gt350 or Z28 with heim joints everywhere. Well excessive NVH comes to mind:)

Also the windows on that abarth don't roll down...
The Abarth's windows slide open lol
^^^
This. driving something with dog cut gears on anything except a race track is going to be maddening.

The GT350R and Z/28 may be "track ready" but make no mistake that they'll get driven a lot on the roads as well. There's only so much harshness you can allow before somebody just decides to buy a race car instead.

So Fiat built a more track ready car than Ford and GM.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
So Fiat built a more track ready car than Ford and GM.
Fixed it for you
no, fiat offers a $13,500 optional gimmick transmission that isn't needed. the Z28 and GT350 don't have a dog ring boxes, face plated boxes, any of this because they don't need it and it would only hurt streetability while insignificantly affecting lap times(if at all). we have fully synchronized transmissions available today that are capable of living behind 7000+RPM, 500+lb-ft engines.

look up what transmissions are used in the boss 302R and S, and the Z28.R race cars that run in the continental tire sports car challenge series GS class and pirelli world challenge GTS class. in fact, check out any of the cars running in those series, as well as the lower classes(GT in PWC and GTD in TUSCC is 100% racing specialized sequentials), you're not going to find anything other than synchronized H-patterns, be it in a mustang, aston martin, 911 or cayman, M3, whatever. oh, except for the kia optima in PWC GTS that has dominated the class lately, that's the only car in the class with a specialized(I.E., not production based) sequential gearbox. yes, the series allows kia to bring in a factory program and the rules have been massaged to allow their FWD family hauler turd to outrun porsche caymans and aston martin vantages. but, point being, no dog rings.
now sprint cup cars use dog box transmissions, but that's more so because they're required to use a trans whose basic design was penned in the 1950s.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Super hot micro hatch, but unforgiving as all hell on the street. But it isn't made to be driven on the street. Unless you absolutely love being abused to the point of screaming. Or you take pleasure hearing and feeling the gear changes resound through the car as you BANG the gears with the dog-ring equipped gearbox. LOL. $50K is crazy money for this hot hatch when all is said and done, but some rich folks who love to race will happily pay it. I do like the exterior of the car. Fiat did a nice job.

10splaya22

Established Member
no, fiat offers a $13,500 optional gimmick transmission that isn't needed. the Z28 and GT350 don't have a dog ring boxes, face plated boxes, any of this because they don't need it and it would only hurt streetability while insignificantly affecting lap times(if at all). we have fully synchronized transmissions available today that are capable of living behind 7000+RPM, 500+lb-ft engines.

look up what transmissions are used in the boss 302R and S, and the Z28.R race cars that run in the continental tire sports car challenge series GS class and pirelli world challenge GTS class. in fact, check out any of the cars running in those series, as well as the lower classes(GT in PWC and GTD in TUSCC is 100% racing specialized sequentials), you're not going to find anything other than synchronized H-patterns, be it in a mustang, aston martin, 911 or cayman, M3, whatever. oh, except for the kia optima in PWC GTS that has dominated the class lately, that's the only car in the class with a specialized(I.E., not production based) sequential gearbox. yes, the series allows kia to bring in a factory program and the rules have been massaged to allow their FWD family hauler turd to outrun porsche caymans and aston martin vantages. but, point being, no dog rings.
now sprint cup cars use dog box transmissions, but that's more so because they're required to use a trans whose basic design was penned in the 1950s.

+1. Driving a dog box on the street would suck and no one would buy that.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So it can be beat by a bolton Fiesta ST with a standard synchronized transmission 99% of the time for half the price.

I know a few who had dogbox shep transmissions in their dsm's.

They "drove" them on the street, at first.

After a couple months, street driving was limited to "when necessary" and the car was relegated to track use mainly.

Its like a cog driven blower or super loud blowoff valve. You say you want it, but it loses its novelty quick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread