a few questions before i talk to a recruiter

Monster Mach

Established Member
I have been toying with enlisting for a few years.. I'm young 20 and have done a lot in life already made plenty of my share of mistakes and really want a new life.
Long story short.. girlfriend was prego 6months in had miscarage can't stand to look at me because it reminds her of a life she could have had bla bla bla.. iv lived on my own made 35 an hour lost me security clearances moved back to ny and hate it..
I'm basically wondering if I enlist (I am thinking army for a short term to get my life straight) is there anyway to leave for basic quickly( I am fit 6'3" 175# play lacrosse to this daylove shooting guns and racing) I kinda want to get out of this hell hole asap.. ik that I have to take tests. That wouldn't be a problem... I just want to get away from this place before I. **** up my chances all help will be welcomed besides idiotic just do it comments. I would love to keep this serious

SVTMystic04

Established Member
Kinda depends on what they have available jobwise. I just joined the Air Force a little while ago and it took me over a year to ship. I wanted to book a job that was decent(its a nice chunk of your life, you might as well do something you like) so I waited. I dunno about the army, but the AF has "quick ship" which is basically where you go to MEPS and if they have a job you can ship out THAT DAY. Seemed kinda crazy to me. Lot of armed forces are downsizing because they have too many people, so its a little harder to get into than it used to be. Im 22 so Im not much older than you. So far everything has changed for the better, but its all about attitude. You have to be willing to change A LOT about your life, and if you have a GF or something like that, it will probably get screwed up. Good luck either way you go, and make sure you really think it over. A recruiter will make it seem way better than it actually is, but its not that bad at all. Let us know what you decide

Monster Mach

Established Member
Iv talked to former recruiters... they have all told me the same thing.. don't listen to a recruiter.. one was a former paratrooper that went recruiter when he blew both of his knees out on a jump..
Others became state police and told me what recruiters have to go through to get a signature...
My reason for wanting to leave so soon if I wait I will somehow find a way to back out.. no girlfriend anymore after that shit she blocked my number and won't answer if I call from a diff one.. so I'm giving her her space..
I'm not worried about dieing if I do I did it for the right cause... I don't want to be enlisted for 6 years... I would prefer 4 or shorter so I can eventually finish school.

SVTMystic04

Established Member
Yeah I had a fiance before I shipped out. It didnt work out. I think 4 year is def the way to go if youre not sure about a career in it. You should go take your tests and then see what the recruiter has to offer. If they dont have what you want, go to a diff service like the AF, Marines or Navy. If you really want to do it, youll put in the time. Sounds like youve had a lot of crap going on, and thats exactly what it was like before I went to BMT. Pretty much helped me let go of the stuff I couldnt change and got rid of the stuff that didnt matter. Not saying that happens for everybody, but so far I love it.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Yeah I had a fiance before I shipped out. It didnt work out. I think 4 year is def the way to go if youre not sure about a career in it. You should go take your tests and then see what the recruiter has to offer. If they dont have what you want, go to a diff service like the AF, Marines or Navy. If you really want to do it, youll put in the time. Sounds like youve had a lot of crap going on, and thats exactly what it was like before I went to BMT. Pretty much helped me let go of the stuff I couldnt change and got rid of the stuff that didnt matter. Not saying that happens for everybody, but so far I love it.

i have way to much shit going on the deal with.. stress has me wanting to sell my car (my baby) and thanks to whstlr might have me going in the correct direction. girl isnt my worry anymore.. i was with her for 4 years she left me more times than i can count for other guys so obviously that was a huge mistake on my part.
thanks to all the folks that have posted so far

jliddle

Established Member
Im also 20 and in the Marines, shipping Nov.

You said your 20 and was making 35/hr with some "security clearances"? Mind sharing details? Recruiters gonna wanna know where you've worked and why you quit/got fired. Theyll also want to know why you lost your "clearance". DO NOT lie. You will only set yourself up to get screwed.

You sound like you want to move in the right direction. How much are you willing to sacrifice of yourself to be that better person?

You also said you wanted to leave as quickly as possible due to fear of falling back into old ways. The Army will ship you faster. People I know that are just now enlisting in Marines are going to be waiting about a year before they ship.

Have you given any thought to what MOS you want?

LMK if you have any questions as Ive just went thru the enlistment/testing/MEPS process.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Im also 20 and in the Marines, shipping Nov.

You said your 20 and was making 35/hr with some "security clearances"? Mind sharing details? Recruiters gonna wanna know where you've worked and why you quit/got fired. Theyll also want to know why you lost your "clearance". DO NOT lie. You will only set yourself up to get screwed.

You sound like you want to move in the right direction. How much are you willing to sacrifice of yourself to be that better person?

You also said you wanted to leave as quickly as possible due to fear of falling back into old ways. The Army will ship you faster. People I know that are just now enlisting in Marines are going to be waiting about a year before they ship.

Have you given any thought to what MOS you want?

LMK if you have any questions as Ive just went thru the enlistment/testing/MEPS process.
i was doing telecommunications installing atms
i lost my clearances because they hired me without looking at my age and sponsored me then 4 months down the road they said wtf your not 21 yeaaa... kinda heated about that(was looking at a new gt500 :(:()

but right now whstlr got me really thinking about rotary avionics something i have always wanted to do

jliddle

Established Member
I see, to reiterate on your shipping early question. You say your physically fit? Enought to pass the Army's PFT?

I know in the Marine Corps, theyll ship you early if a spot opens up and your physically fit enough to ship. I just found the Armys PFT > [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Physical_Fitness_Test]Army Physical Fitness Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Monster Mach

Established Member

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Pass the Army PFT? You must be joking.

Anyhow, I'd say get into school and go ROTC. I've been enlisted for 20+ and do enjoy it. If I had to do it all over again I'd go zero or WO. Better pay, more perks, treated better etc.

If you insist on enlisting pick an occfield that has bonuses, gets you a clearance, and translates well to the outside. Rotary does 2 out of those 3. I'd say comm maintenance, sigint, intel, counterintel, EOD, linguist (if you have the skills). All of those will get you a bonus, fast promotions, a clearance, and huge opportunities on the outside.

GL:beer:

jliddle

Established Member
Pass the Army PFT? You must be joking.

Anyhow, I'd say get into school and go ROTC. I've been enlisted for 20+ and do enjoy it. If I had to do it all over again I'd go zero or WO. Better pay, more perks, treated better etc.

If you insist on enlisting pick an occfield that has bonuses, gets you a clearance, and translates well to the outside. Rotary does 2 out of those 3. I'd say comm maintenance, sigint, intel, counterintel, EOD, linguist (if you have the skills). All of those will get you a bonus, fast promotions, a clearance, and huge opportunities on the outside.

GL:beer:

It was just a question. I train with guys that can't even muster the minimum of 3 pullups. 3! You'd be surprised how many weak out of shape young people there are.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Ship in nov.

Look- I get that you don't understand this now. But stop calling yourself a Marine- In FEB, IF you make it- THEN you can call yourself a Marine. When you march across that parade deck during graduation you'll understand.

Good luck and have fun.....

jliddle

Established Member
Look- I get that you don't understand this now. But stop calling yourself a Marine- In FEB, IF you make it- THEN you can call yourself a Marine. When you march across that parade deck during graduation you'll understand.

Good luck and have fun.....

I never called myself a Marine. I said I was IN the Marines. I understand what you are saying. I'm just relaying what I've been told, that if your enlisted in the DEP, your technically "in" but not a Marine. Some kind of " untrained inactive reserve" status. I didn't mean to strike a nerve, or any disrespect you all. Trust me i look forward to earning the title just as much as anyone. If I was misinformed, I am sorry. You can PM me if you wish.

Sorry to clutter up thread OP.

Monster Mach

Established Member
thanks guys.. right now im trying to figure out what exactly i need to do to become a rotary pilot.... if i can become a rotary pilot i have a very strong chance that i will serve the rest of my life..

jliddle

Established Member
thanks guys.. right now im trying to figure out what exactly i need to do to become a rotary pilot.... if i can become a rotary pilot i have a very strong chance that i will serve the rest of my life..

The recruiter can tell you alot about whats needed. I would ask them, Does that MOS have any prerequisites? Like a minimum ASVAB score?

If you took an ASVAB in high school they can use that score, or have you retest. If you need equal to/above a certain score I would recommend looking over that particular subject so you can knock it out in one try. Rather than having to retest until you meet the minimum.

Monster Mach

Established Member
The recruiter can tell you alot about whats needed. I would ask them, Does that MOS have any prerequisites? Like a minimum ASVAB score?

If you took an ASVAB in high school http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10900643they can use that score, or have you retest. If you need equal to/above a certain score I would recommend looking over that particular subject so you can knock it out in one try. Rather than having to retest until you meet the minimum.

U.S. Army Recruiting Command's Warrant Officer Recruiting Information Site
thats what im looking at. im trying to find a few afast tests to see what exactly it entails

Monster Mach

Established Member
Well I talked to a officer today and he told me I'm smart and it should be easy for me to do anything I want... he was actually the first honest recruiter that I have talked too.. he suggested i go for it if that's what I want and nail all of my tests

Users who are viewing this thread