a few questions before i talk to a recruiter

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I never called myself a Marine. I said I was IN the Marines. I understand what you are saying. I'm just relaying what I've been told, that if your enlisted in the DEP, your technically "in" but not a Marine. Some kind of " untrained inactive reserve" status. I didn't mean to strike a nerve, or any disrespect you all. Trust me i look forward to earning the title just as much as anyone. If I was misinformed, I am sorry. You can PM me if you wish.

Sorry to clutter up thread OP.

No PM necessary.. judging by your response you know the deal. If you need help lmk:beer:... I may have picked up a tip or two over the past couple decades!! lol

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
thanks guys.. right now im trying to figure out what exactly i need to do to become a rotary pilot.... if i can become a rotary pilot i have a very strong chance that i will serve the rest of my life..

Just throwing this out there- talk to the military pilots on this board. I know of at least 2. They will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Having said that- I'd strongly advise you NOT to enlist if you know full well you want to be an officer. Just go to college and get it done. Your career path is much better if that's what your goal is. As I said before- GL:thumbsup:

hurststang

Established Member
Best of luck to you man. I've been in since i was 18 and the Army did turn my life around. Everytime I take leave I still see people doing the same dumb shit that they was doing 10 years ago.

jliddle

Established Member
Best of luck to you man. I've been in since i was 18 and the Army did turn my life around. Everytime I take leave I still see people doing the same dumb shit that they was doing 10 years ago.

That's what made me want to join. I have a awesome job, with abilities to make good money. But it's just a "job" to me. I look at it as nothing more than a means to pay my bills, no pride in it whatsoever. I visited my hometown a few months back, the people I used to hang with are still doing they same things they were when we graduated high school. Sad, really.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I never called myself a Marine. I said I was IN the Marines. I understand what you are saying. I'm just relaying what I've been told, that if your enlisted in the DEP, your technically "in" but not a Marine. Some kind of " untrained inactive reserve" status. Trust me i look forward to earning the title just as much as anyone.

I see where he was coming from. You were misinformed. You aren't IN, until you graduate bc technically speaking. Anytime before this you can get kicked out or voluntarily leave. Yes, you can even voluntarily leave bc, though you will receive and administrative discharge. It's been a long time, but that's how I remember it.

And yes you do look forward to it. It's been over 8 years, but the day I was handed my EGA on the parade deck at PI, I sobbed like a child. Our entire company did. It's quite moving.

This. I'm out now, and a gov GS, making a really good living. I rarely go home, but when I do it's like a time warp. I see the same people doing the same stupid shit they were doing when I left over 8 years ago. I feel no sympathy. If I can make a life coming from nearly nothing, they could have too.

OU812

Established Member
The AFAST isn't that bad, I grew up flying with my dad and I've had my pilots license since I was 18. I had a little bit of an advantage but if you buy the study guide and study it you'll be fine. I planned on going warrant and flying a few years ago but the AF wouldn't let me do the "Blue to Green" program because my career field was critically manned and they had given me a huge bonus.

I know not too long ago the Army was commissioning people with 90 credit hours of school, a friend of mine got his commission that way. If you have any school I would ask about that.....it sure beats being enlisted!

Monster Mach

Established Member
I have taken 4 practice tests right now(full length 200 questions) my main thing is what exactly is a highscore? And what is a low score?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I have taken 4 practice tests right now(full length 200 questions) my main thing is what exactly is a highscore? And what is a low score?

If you want to fly your gt should be 120+, your AFQT should be 87+, and your EL should be 120+. don't know about the others for the Army but that will get you into the flight program door for the Corps.

Monster Mach

Established Member
If you want to fly your gt should be 120+, your AFQT should be 87+, and your EL should be 120+. don't know about the others for the Army but that will get you into the flight program door for the Corps.

thank you :) to be honest im a bit scared... yea im ready to go over and do what it takes give my life if necessary.. im worried about coming back i kinda want to stay over there..
i have to talk to my recruiter more he was having a bad day so i told him id come back tomorrow.. i figured this time im going through with it no matter what

jliddle

Established Member
thank you :) to be honest im a bit scared... yea im ready to go over and do what it takes give my life if necessary.. im worried about coming back i kinda want to stay over there..
i have to talk to my recruiter more he was having a bad day so i told him id come back tomorrow.. i figured this time im going through with it no matter what

You'll be in training for a while so I wouldn't sweat it too much right now.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Just throwing this out there- talk to the military pilots on this board. I know of at least 2. They will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Having said that- I'd strongly advise you NOT to enlist if you know full well you want to be an officer. Just go to college and get it done. Your career path is much better if that's what your goal is. As I said before- GL:thumbsup:

I'll help...to do any Army Aviation, you have to be enlisted first. Then letters from your supervisors and other FLIGHT WARRANTS, be at least age 29ish. So you will have to start small, then go big. But its for your own benefit, and the Soldiers around you.

You should be ok with your security clearance.

Having 18 years in has been good. But I work and tie in with ALL services one way or another, directly or indirectly on the battlefield. Looking back now, I wish I would have had insight on the USMC officer program and gone the fixed wing or AH-1 route.

Get the ball rolling, and go see your recruiter.....action, not words.

And if he isnt meeting your needs go shop elsewhere...USMC, or another recruiter.

I have had Soldiers work for me with the same background over the years. And its all what YOU make of it. Go to MEPS, go to basic, get a job, and never look back. 18 years I have a lot of shit to show for it. 3 Cobras a truck a house, 2 dogs a hot ass wife who cooks and doesnt bullshit around.

:pop:

Last edited:

lilgrneyes1979

*Twin Screwed Chick*
Established Member
I applied for flight before being medically disqualified. I was waiting on one silly piece of paper and some stupid crap happened. I'm still bitter over that one :nonono:

Here is an article that gives you the basic info you are looking for:
Becoming an Army Helicopter Pilot

The AFAST test isn't really that difficult, but you should definitely put the effort into buying the study guide and doing all the exercises.

Here is a link to the Warrant Officer Recruiting Command website:
U.S. Army Recruiting Command's Warrant Officer Recruiting Information Site

There is tons of information on the website about all the requirements for all Warrant Officer MOS, but specifically flight warrants. There is even a checklist for all of the requirements you would have to meet enlisting to go directly from basic to flight school. The program is commonly called High School to Flight School. It is the only warrant MOS that allows that kind of transition.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Monster Mach

Established Member
I purchased the study guide and started my workout regime trying to get myself up to run 5 miles a day without stopping...my main problem is my breathing iv got to controll it better

lilgrneyes1979

*Twin Screwed Chick*
Established Member
I purchased the study guide and started my workout regime trying to get myself up to run 5 miles a day without stopping...my main problem is my breathing iv got to controll it better

When you are running, focus on lengthening your stride, and then pace your breathing to your steps. 2 steps - breathe in. 2 steps - breathe out.

I struggled with breathing especially when running in formation... The pace in formation is generally choppy and the stride is short. If I didn't pay close attention to my breathing pattern, I would run out of breath much quicker.

Wind sprints are another good endurance builder. Sprint telephone pole to telephone pole, then slowly jog the distance of 2. Then repeat :-D

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
When you are running, focus on lengthening your stride, and then pace your breathing to your steps. 2 steps - breathe in. 2 steps - breathe out.

I struggled with breathing especially when running in formation... The pace in formation is generally choppy and the stride is short. If I didn't pay close attention to my breathing pattern, I would run out of breath much quicker.

Wind sprints are another good endurance builder. Sprint telephone pole to telephone pole, then slowly jog the distance of 2. Then repeat :-D

This technique is also known as an interval run- and it's tried an true. It will definitely improve your breathing, run times and endurance.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread