A little help, please...catted-X to O/R?

mustangmuscle

Established Member
Here's my situation....
Have a Magnaflow C/B and catted-X. With the car being lowered, and my inability to negotiate curbs, the midpipe has been beat up pretty bad. So, instead of spending the money on a new catted version, was seriously considering going with an O/R-X, to save a few bucks....especially since whatever I go with is gonna get beat up, too....:bash:

I have a coupla buddies that went with the UPR O/R-X and it hung really low. This was over a year ago. I've read recent posts that UPR has addressed this issue, and the fit has been corrected. Also, my tuner suggests going with the VRS O/R-X, which he says sounds awesome with the Maggie C/B. I personally dont know much about the company, but have heard good things...

So, what do you think?

Keep in mind that the car is my daily-driver, and sole means of transportation....
Is the O/R-X THAT much louder and more RASPY than the catted version?
What about the dreaded drone? I have very little to no drone now, and dont ever wanna hear that awful sound ever again....

Thanks alot!

Chris

ps. Yes I have done the search, and read all the posts I can find here pertaining to this subject. Was hoping for some more info.....thanks again

Last edited:

mustangmuscle

Established Member
Wow, tough call...in the end I think it will be a "sound" deal for you. The performance gains may or may not outweigh the sound...

I agree.
The day the car was getting tuned, one of the guys there said, "the O/R X-pipe is gonna be loud, really really loud". Gotta say I wasn't expecting to hear that in so many words. I mean, yes its gonna be some louder, but, so much so to make him emphasize it to that extent?? So, I chickened out, and told them not to swap the mid-pipe. But now, I cant stop wondering if I made the wrong decision....

Thanks for your reply and input

wheelhopper

Established Member
I just recently removed my catted UPR X and installed long tubes w/ a VRS off road X. My exhaust is definitely a little louder and has more of a raspy sound. There is no drone and I can still listen to my radio without blowing out my ear drums. I am running an FR 500 cat back however. These are some of the quietest mufflers you'll find.

mustangmuscle

Established Member
I just recently removed my catted UPR X and installed long tubes w/ a VRS off road X. My exhaust is definitely a little louder and has more of a raspy sound. There is no drone and I can still listen to my radio without blowing out my ear drums. I am running an FR 500 cat back however. These are some of the quietest mufflers you'll find.

Thank you very much for your reply and great info. This is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.

How is the quality/fit of the VRS?

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Stick with cats o/r pipe is gonna be loud. I use to have o/r x-pipe on my car with magnaflows it was loud and raspy and had drone at 2000 rpm hated it, then switched to o/r h-pipe raspy sound was gone little quieter then o/r x-pipe. H-pipe sounded better then x pipe with manaflows. Than I did my 03 drivetrain swap and put stock h-pipe back on with fr500 catback. If I change my mid pipe I well go catted h. I well never put another o/r pipe on my car again specially o/r x pipe.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
The upr o/r x I have installed definately sits up pretty high imo , so I dont think that should be an issue.

mustangmuscle

Established Member
The upr o/r x I have installed definately sits up pretty high imo , so I dont think that should be an issue.

Thanks for the reply and info. I'd heard that UPR had addressed the poor fitment issue. Its always good to hear it from a real person.

So, how do you like the sound, too loud, raspy, drone???

wheelhopper

Established Member
Thank you very much for your reply and great info. This is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.

How is the quality/fit of the VRS?

I had to take it to an exhaust shop. One side of the midpipe would not connect to the cat back. It was about 2 inches to short. Not sure it it was because of my FR 500 cat back. Those cat backs have no adjustability. The flow tubes are welded to the mufflers and the mufflers are fixed together by the rear X pipe.

Any way for $40 my exhaust guy welded in the extra stainless tubing that I needed. Other than that, it fits great.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
I just got my BBk x and it came in there newer style in three pieces so its adjustable which was nice but yes o/r x or h will be really loud go catted i went x cause I dont drive it everyday.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Thanks for the reply and info. I'd heard that UPR had addressed the poor fitment issue. Its always good to hear it from a real person.

So, how do you like the sound, too loud, raspy, drone???

Mine bolted up no problem , and sits high like I mentioned. Sound wise , I love it and for the price ( approx. $175 i think ) you cant beat it. Loudness , sound , and drone will all depend on the catback. You mentioned you have the magnaflow , which when paired up with the upr o/r x sounds great imo. Here's a video of that combo so you can hear it for yourself
[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=05HqzVFJ5fk"]YouTube - 2003 Cobra Exhaust. UPR o/r X, MagnaFlow Catback[/ame]

mustangmuscle

Established Member
Thats exactly what my tuner said...."the O/R X-pipe sounds awesome with the Magnaflow C/B". Then, just when they were getting ready to install it, one of the guys in the shop asked me if I was gonna have them install the VRS O/R-X. Told him yes. To which he replied, "man, its gonna be loud, really really loud, especially for a daily-driver". Gotta admit, him saying that really gave me second thoughts, and I decided against doing it. I'm thinking I made the wrong decision. I've watched the vid you posted (tnx, btw) like a 1000 times, and it sounds awesome!!! Nice rumble when cruising, then exotic and "pissed-off", when u get on it!!!:rockon:

I'm still concerned about the dreaded "drone". I hate that frikken sound!!!!! Thankfully, its almost non-existent with the catted-X I have now. I absolutely dont wanna swap out mid-pipes and have that obnoxious sound piercing my ears. I've read that the UPR drones more than the VRS version.....something to do with the gage of the pipe used....thinner (UPR) being more apt to drone than thicker (VRS), but dont know how factual this is....??

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I do really appreciate it.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
yes from what ive heard as well the vrs has a thicker gage than the upr. which gives it a unique and deeper sound for an x. as for o/r x it depends on the c/b. borla style it would be f'n insane for a chambered it would be great. if you go catted x its great on a borla. also a catted h is a great mid on a chambered but not on a borla. im getting rid of mine btw haha. o/h anything is insane. hope this helps.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
i found this on the web. [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2538474856107810787"]2003 Cobra exhaust video VRS off-road X and Mac 3in Catback[/ame]

lllTimmerlll

Established Member
Hey. I kinda go into this post a little late. However, I had a 2003 GT, I lowered that with Eibach Sportlines and an o/r h. I still had issues with the pipe rubbing once in a while, especially going up driveways. I now have a 03Cobra, lowered with H&R springs, with a catted Bassani X, and still the same issues. The pipe catted or not really won't make the difference for you in my experience. I guess its really the quality of the company, and how well it fits, and how well its installed. Lowering a car, your always going to encounter the same problems of clearance issues. I've just learned over the last few years to be carefull and take driveways slowly and at an angle....Hope that might be of some help to you, even a tad late. . .

Users who are viewing this thread