A lot of “popping” at idle *video*

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Whats the story with the camshaft position sensor code? Did you clear it and has it returned. Never heard of these cars jumping a tooth but that sounds very similar to when imports jump one with a belt driven system.
The sensor was unplugged completely. cleared codes and no codes returned since.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Outside of sending injectors to be tested is datalogging the only other way?

Datalogging would help you verify a bad o2 sensor that someone mentioned but your problem is not o2 related right now.

You could rig up your own tester. You would need to supply pressure to that injector and then put power to the injector. There are DIY injector testers you could build.

An injector is nothing more than an overglorified valve for the most part. It opens and it closes, that's all it does. It may just be plugged. At least pull it and give it a good visual inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I somewhat agree with this statement, and personally I would have done that myslef. But, he said he noticed this issue prior to starting it this year for the first time.

Well, if I'm going down the process of elimination list......I've stored a full tank of ethanol over a brutally harsh winter.....and now the performance has deteriorated even further.....I'm going to start off with fresh ethanol before doing any more trouble shooting or gasp, throwing new parts at it. Just eliminate that phase 1 make damn sure it's not contaminated. The stabilizer at this point means little.

Then proceed down the list as already mentioned. Definitely datalog....it's easy

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, if I'm going down the process of elimination list......I've stored a full tank of ethanol over a brutally harsh winter.....and now the performance has deteriorated even further.....I'm going to start off with fresh ethanol before doing any more trouble shooting or gasp, throwing new parts at it. Just eliminate that phase 1 make damn sure it's not contaminated. The stabilizer at this point means little.

Then proceed down the list as already mentioned. Definitely datalog....it's easy

Agreed. 100%. Like I said, if it was my car, I would've drained the tank and put fresh fuel on it. So, I have to take his word on this issue being an issue for a while.

I guess you and I need to fly to his house, you drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it and I will pull the injector. Lol

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Back to the clogged injector theory.....I've seen on rare occasions ethanol users reporting a black "goo" accumulation after running E85. It's very rare, but has happened. Almost looks like tar clogging the tip. Seems to have happened to northern country users the most. Cold weather areas. Or possibly stations that converted a diesel tank to E85 instead of brand new infrastructure . No one has determined for sure the cause. Just google it, you'll see

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Ill check the spare parts box that the car came with and see if I can find a cable to datalog.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Back to the clogged injector theory.....I've seen on rare occasions ethanol users reporting a black "goo" accumulation after running E85. It's very rare, but has happened. Almost looks like tar clogging the tip. Seems to have happened to northern country users the most. Cold weather areas. Or possibly stations that converted a diesel tank to E85 instead of brand new infrastructure . No one has determined for sure the cause. Just google it, you'll see

Yep, that's why they say to change your filters more frequently when running E85. And another reason why the injector in O.Ps car could be plugged due to lack of driving rather he is running E85 or not. Bulk fuel quality sucks.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Agreed. 100%. Like I said, if it was my car, I would've drained the tank and put fresh fuel on it. So, I have to take his word on this issue being an issue for a while.

I guess you and I need to fly to his house, you drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it and I will pull the injector. Lol

Lol.

I just hate second guessing later...."could it be??.....naaaaa, no way......I used stabilizer.....but wait, could it??...." Lol

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Car hasn't seen e85 in a long time. E85 is hard to get in my area. Has 93 in it right now

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Why bother if its been like this for thousands of miles?

Because if you're trying to troubleshoot a rough running car and it still runs kind of rough after you think you've found the problem.....then you have to do it anyway.

Stabilizers work great for the lawnmower, but if my Cobra ran like shit, I would drain my fuel first so I would know for sure I didn't have to worry about it being an issue.

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I have several other things I need to attend to, to get this car driving. including taking the blower off to do valve cover seals. I think I may just send the injectors out to get tested while I have everything apart. ill update this thread once that's done.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya that doesn't sound right at all, unless I'm hearing an echo. Can't tell if I'm hearing mechanical noise or if that's out the exhaust.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Ya that doesn't sound right at all, unless I'm hearing an echo. Can't tell if I'm hearing mechanical noise or if that's out the exhaust.
I used a stethoscope all over the engine. No abnormal noises at all. That noise is coming out of both tailpipes

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It's definitely running smoother than it did in the first video. The sound you are hearing sounds quite a bit like the sound my car made prior to rebuild. I had a shredded timing chain tensioner on one of the heads on the small chain that connects the cams.

MG0h3

Established Member
^ I was leaning towards something like that but his compression test came back nice.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
It's definitely running smoother than it did in the first video. The sound you are hearing sounds quite a bit like the sound my car made prior to rebuild. I had a shredded timing chain tensioner on one of the heads on the small chain that connects the cams.

You only heard that timing chain noise from the rear? Not from the chains themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread