A lot of “popping” at idle *video*

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
so this is something I noticed last summer and didn’t think much about it cause the car runs great. But I started the car for the first time since November and the popping has gotten worse. Car has new plugs in it as well. Any guess to what it sounds like? I can only think it’s spark related.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I didn’t have a check engine light but I pulled 2 codes. A camshaft position sensor code and ignition coil primary code

MG0h3

Established Member
You’re kinda at the edge of where the gas could be an issue.

Does it clear up at all with rpm increase? There is definitely something going on; is it misfiring?

Typically you’ll have a flashing or solid CE light if one of those were failing currently.

I’d clear those and try and get some fresh fuel in there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If at all possible, get as much fuel as possible out of the tank. Fresh fuel would be where to start. Don't mess with any additives, they wont do you any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aarons04cobra

Established Member
If you have access to ids you can watch the fuel trims so you can get an idea as to whats going on. Swing up to my shop one of these days if its nice out and we can check it out if you need

03' White Snake

Established Member
It honestly sounds fuel related. Check your maf wires and connection. My brothers car had an issue similar to that and it turned out the JLT intake rubbed the wires on the VC and caused an issue. Not sure what intake you are running but I'd start there.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
You’re kinda at the edge of where the gas could be an issue.

Does it clear up at all with rpm increase? There is definitely something going on; is it misfiring?

Typically you’ll have a flashing or solid CE light if one of those were failing currently.

I’d clear those and try and get some fresh fuel in there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I’ll do that last. It has a full tank and I stabilized it so I don’t want to drain it lol.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
It honestly sounds fuel related. Check your maf wires and connection. My brothers car had an issue similar to that and it turned out the JLT intake rubbed the wires on the VC and caused an issue. Not sure what intake you are running but I'd start there.
Checked maf wiring a few times. Going to check injectors today

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
15073A8F-454C-498C-9BA3-8C18012059B1.jpeg
Pulled plugs. Cyl #7 plug looks brand new. Swapped it around to another cylinder and ran it. Pulled plugs again and it still looks new. I’m gonna get another plug today and try that

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
compression test time..

what were code numbers?

340 for cam ?

300?..

did cell flash and go off?
No c.e.l at all. Camshaft sensor was unplugged so that’s fine. Still runs the same tho. P0350 was ignition primary. I’ll do another compression test. Did one last season and all numbers were 170-180

MG0h3

Established Member
Thats odd with the plug. If its a dead hole it should still be wet with fuel and stained. You'd probably have to run and drive it for a bit more than just in the garage to see any coloring.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Did compression test. All cylinders are 170-175. Going to try a different plug next

hotcobra03

Established Member
Gotta do that leak down test. That will tell you what you need to know.

I don' think he would need to farther than basic check here..

it was just to confirm cylinder is working..if low numbers 140 south..it be needed.

he will find plug was issue if not weak coil

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Do a resistance test on the coil and compare it to your others. I have my old set at the house that when I checked were the same as my new set when cool.

If it checks good, maybe plugged or bad injector?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Do a resistance test on the coil and compare it to your others. I have my old set at the house that when I checked were the same as my new set when cool.

If it checks good, maybe plugged or bad injector?

All coils old and new have same resistance. I have a modified stethoscope that I used to listen to each injector fire and resistance is 13.8 ohms across all 8

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
All coils old and new have same resistance. I have a modified stethoscope that I used to listen to each injector fire and resistance is 13.8 ohms across all 8

Tap the wires to the coil on the dead cylinder to see if it is getting power?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Tap the wires to the coil on the dead cylinder to see if it is getting power?

That’s the thing. None of the cylinders seem to be dead. If I unplug each injector one by the one the car runs a lot worse.

Users who are viewing this thread