A question for the drivers...

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
I spent some time this weekend with the(formerly my) dealers to see if things were coming back to reality with the car.( now they just want 10k instead of 20:bored: ) At least this time they let me actually look at, sit in, and investigate the thing.

My question concerns the shifter. I did a couple of what I consider 95% effort runs through the shift pattern and I missed getting 3rd twice. I thought that one of the best bangs for my buck was my Tri-Ax on the last car(had a B&M for about 3 days and got rid of it). Felt a bit mushy to me as well. Not T-5 bad, but not as good as I recall the 06 Viper I drove this summer. I also thought that it was noticable vs. the C6 Vette I used.

Would you folks consider a quality shifter a major need/want? I reviewed a bunch of road tests, and some mention it, and most don't.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JETSOLVER said:
I spent some time this weekend with the(formerly my) dealers to see if things were coming back to reality with the car.( now they just want 10k instead of 20:bored: ) At least this time they let me actually look at, sit in, and investigate the thing.

My question concerns the shifter. I did a couple of what I consider 95% effort runs through the shift pattern and I missed getting 3rd twice. I thought that one of the best bangs for my buck was my Tri-Ax on the last car(had a B&M for about 3 days and got rid of it). Felt a bit mushy to me as well. Not T-5 bad, but not as good as I recall the 06 Viper I drove this summer. I also thought that it was noticable vs. the C6 Vette I used.

Would you folks consider a quality shifter a major need/want? I reviewed a bunch of road tests, and some mention it, and most don't.

My 2000 R came with a B&M Ripper Shifter and I hated it. Swapped it out with a Pro 5.0 and have loved it ever since!

The GT500 shifter is WAY better than any factory shifter I have ever experienced! One of the many things about this car that totally rocks! :rockon: I think I missed the 5-3 shift once at Road America (which BTW is a pretty easy thing to do!) One of the prices you have to pay when you want to take short-cuts. :( Then you end up screwing up! :fart:

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
stops are built in to all tremec trannies
so stops on the shifter are really not necessary
Im about 99.99% sure on that
I have a b&m and love it! I had a pro50 and liked it but I hated the 1-2 shift.

ctony66

gettin blown
Established Member
i heard they do also but i heard you can still do damage by pulling too hard on the shifter. just what i heard but would like to know for sure.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Having a Tri-Ax in my '96 the GT500 shifter is vague. I will replace it when I can. Having said that, I agree that it is far superior to ANY Ford factory mustng shifter. I know some like the Pro 5.0 but it's about as tight as the GT500 for me. Tri-Ax until I find a better unit.

Also, the harder you use the shifter the sloppier it gets. I think that will stop as I haven't notice a change in the last 2500miles.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
I think you'll find that it's not the stock shifter that's so much better, it's the tranny! Just my 2 cents!

Tim

MD03SVT

Established Member
The stock GT500 shifter is the best stock shifter in any of my mustangs from 1986 to today & I have not missed one shift (and I powershift) yet either on the road or at the track.I am sure that there will be aftermarket shifter's available in the futur but for now I am more than happy with it.

wildosvt04

Established Member
Im another one that feels the stock shifter is nice. Its no Tri-Ax, But its good. Ive not missed the 2-3 shift yet.

Chuck cough-cough-3650-cough-cough. If they came with stops, 01 Cobra's would'nt be breaking shift forks. I know ALL about it.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
wildosvt04 said:
Im another one that feels the stock shifter is nice. Its no Tri-Ax, But its good. Ive not missed the 2-3 shift yet.

Chuck cough-cough-3650-cough-cough. If they came with stops, 01 Cobra's would'nt be breaking shift forks. I know ALL about it.

:lol: Thats why I'm interested. I did that a few times and the GM mentioned the fact that I had got three rebuilds out of Ford and him on the 97. I asked him if they came stock with a decent shifter. Followed by my asking what else I got for the extra 10k. He wasn't so accommodating after that.:rollseyes

P.S. Thanks gang for taking the time.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
The stock shifter is TITS...in my 8006 miles that I have racked up, I have missed maybe 3 or 4 gears, usually 1-2 while spinning. I have never missed 2-3, I actually have datalogged it to be my fastest shift at 150 milliseconds or .150 seconds. I do feel that the shifter is too soft for my liking, and I will benefit from a shifter that doesn't have rubber cushions at every joint. B&M told me 3 months ago that they will have a shifter out in a month...

slowtealz28

Established Member
My dad let me drive his GT500 this weekend, and the first thing that amazed me was the shifter. It was really hard to feel whether the car went into the next gear or not. Other than that it was sweet, I couldn't believe how short the throws were.

chuckstang

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
The stock shifter is TITS...in my 8006 miles that I have racked up, I have missed maybe 3 or 4 gears, usually 1-2 while spinning. I have never missed 2-3, I actually have datalogged it to be my fastest shift at 150 milliseconds or .150 seconds. I do feel that the shifter is too soft for my liking, and I will benefit from a shifter that doesn't have rubber cushions at every joint. B&M told me 3 months ago that they will have a shifter out in a month...

How do you miss 2nd gear??
I could see it happening in the old dog leg up and to the right Lambo's

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
chuckstang said:
How do you miss 2nd gear??
I could see it happening in the old dog leg up and to the right Lambo's
spinning and trying to powershift. When u get into a car with some power, you'll know what I am talking about. 1-2 is easy when you're not thinking about the ass end of the car coming around.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
The GT500 shifter is WAY better than any factory shifter I have ever experienced! One of the many things about this car that totally rocks! :rockon:

Try shifting a Honda 6 speed :bowdown:. They are the absolute best.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
LargeOrangeFont said:
Try shifting a Honda 6 speed :bowdown:. They are the absolute best.

The odds of getting me into a hon-duh are about as good as getting me into a Corvette!! ;-) :poke: :lol: :p

Users who are viewing this thread