A tale of two shifters...

HJZ

Established Member
Hmm. Interesting. I'm glad that I have a 12 in this case then since I like shorter shifting action. It's almost S2000esque but more notchy.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Always good info in your posts Tob. Much props! :rockon:

On a side note, I am considering getting MGW to make me a longer shifter handle for my shifter to try to address my 1-2 grind issue. I have already done all the other attempted fixes other than poly motor mounts, and wot box.(both in my trunk ready to install).

Interesting also is this bushing for the tranny mount that Whiteline offers. The theory seems valid, and worth a try:

attachment.php

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I have the KR shifter since I got my Shelby. Always found it to be a solid unit.

That white shifter ball is nice.... Hmmmmmm

I love my KR shifter until I try to hit 4-5 at high RPMs on the road course :fm:

einehund

Established Member
I've had issues on my '10 with WOT 4-5 shifts on the Autobahn. I learned that is had to be a VERY deliberate shift, not like the 1-4 shifts, or it just wouldn't go in 5th... IDK. I'd like to swap my rear bushing after seeing this write up. Any ideas if it is available by itself TOB?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I cannot find the rear Poly bushing that FRPP is using, anywhere. A quick Google search brings up a few listings from Steeda (sold by Summit, etc) but when I try to verify fitment by looking through the application listing I see the same part listed as fitting S197 chassis cars with other transmissions that only used one fork instead of the GT500's two. So something isn't right.

I'll pm somebody from Steeda's forum and see if they can respond with a part number.

On edit...I sent the following query to Matt at Steeda...

Tob said:
I'm wondering if you can post a response to my question here.

Steeda's online catalog isn't very clear. What I'm trying to determine is:

- Does Steeda sell polyurethane bushings that will fit the stock GT500 shifters (and there are two versions, '07-'09 and '10-'14)? The same rear poly bushing would fit all S197 GT500 shifters, '07-'14. But as I mentioned, there would be two different thickness bushings for the front forks. If you start at the beginning of this thread you'll see what the difference is.

- Does Steeda sell steel or brass bushings for the front forks on a GT500 shifter? Again, there would have to be two different part numbers.

- Does Steeda sell steel bushings that allow removing the rubber isolator so that the shifter handle can be mounted directly to the shifter stub (on a GT500)?

Thanks in advance.

Tob

6-Speed

Established Member
I see it currently advertised online for $89 and (separately) the KR stick/ball for $69. That was a deal too good to pass up. Supplies of these are obviously limited so act swiftly if one of these works for you!
I assume you mount the KR stick sandwiched between the stock shifter handle's rubber isolator material. Do you know the part number for the KR stick/ball? I'd like to get one to replace my FRPP stick/ball to see if it reduces the shifter noise that I constantly hear while driving in the higher gears.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ivan, it appears as though the KR shifter simply uses the rubber isolator that the stock shifter used. So everyone is clear, the rubber isolator will be mounted as is shown in the photo below for a stock '10-'14 OEM shifter (or 90* from the photo for '07-'09 or KR shifters - however, I believe the same isolator is used for all years regardless of orientation)...

___shifter1.jpg

The forward facing FRPP stick mounts directly to the shifter stub (this photo is the FRPP/KR shifter and FRPP black stick/ball that I installed in my car some four years ago)...

ry%3D480

I'm not seeing a part number for just the KR stick/ball. FRPP is listing it in a package along with the shifter as M-7210-BKR1. It was explained to me this way by someone with the knowledge to clarify the matter...

Tob, this might help. Shelby wanted to use the stock isolator on the handle. They thought it would eliminate "shifter buzz". Ford racing went with metal to metal for the ultimate, no deflection. The reason they were just packaged is because when components come in they are left as components "CM" numbers. Then they are put together with other CM numbers to build a kit such as M-7210-BKR1 in this case.

So I can't provide a number for the KR stick/ball. But if you do a Google search using SHELBY GT-500KR® SHIFTER HANDLE KIT as the search terms, you are probably likely to see it offered separately. I'd also try Tousley to see if they have any available separately.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Here's a photo I found on the web that I edited to help illustrate the difference between the two sticks.

_shiftercomparison.jpg

BigTaco

Established Member
I believe that the actuall rubber bushing that was used during the KR build is not a carry over. It is of a harder durometer rubber but identical (visually). This is according to an old Shelby magazine I have that shows the KR build. I wonder if there is a decernible diffence in the noize/shifter buzz. I have the same KR shifter and black stick that Tob has; there is a buzz but not much.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I have the same magazine. Kills me every time I look at it due to a poor job at providing detail.

The bushing that slips onto the rear of the shifter, just aft of the pivot mechanism, is polyurethane and of much harder durometer than the rubber our cars originally had. I showed them earlier.

The rubber isolator that gets sandwiched between the stick and the shifter stub was merely swapped from the original stick to the KR stick.

I don't get any buzz from the direct mounting of the Ford Racing black stick. I do notice a slight increase in gear whine, which I have no problem with whatsoever. I rather like the mechanical sounds and much prefer the increase in shifting precision the direct mounting method provides.

This may sound hard to believe, but I think the S197 GT500 stick bushing is the same one that the old T5 transmission used on either of my Fox body cars. I have one somewhere and I'll compare it to the one that came on my '09.

6-Speed

Established Member
Tob ... So you bought the entire kit for $89? If you did that's a smokin deal. Someone is selling the KR shifter kit on eBay for $200.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ivan, if you copy/paste the search terms I italicized up above into a Google search, you'll see the handle is offered at $69 and the shifter mechanism is being offered at $89. In my personal view, both of those are smokin deals.

I just got home and took a look at the isolator bushings from my original GT500 shifter and from a couple of Fox bodies I have. Believe it or not, Ford is using the same isolator from the vintage POS T5 on the TR6060. I'll shoot some photos tomorrow of them.

6-Speed

Established Member
Thanks Tob. I searched and found an equally smokin deal for the entire M-7210-BKR1 kit; hopefully it's still available. I have the FRPP stick attached to my shifter and it buzzes quite a bit. I like the metal to metal attachment but the buzzing is annoying; I've learned to just ignore it over the years. I would like to try the KR handle with the OEM rubber isolator to see if it effectively reduces the noise.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
This statement implies that the rear bushing is unique to the KR shifter (CM-7210-B1) and is not used on the standard FRPP short-throw shifter (M-7210-B):

"The CM-7210-B actually goes to Capaldi Racing to be modified (bushing change). When it comes back it is a CM-7210-B1. That is put in a box with the handle, thread locker and some bolts to make the M-7210-BKR1."

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ivan, he was merely explaining why it is that FRPP released the KR shifter and stick (or handle) as a package. He was not implying that the much stiffer bushing(s) are somehow exclusive to the KR shifter. They are not. The standard Ford Racing shifter mechanism uses the same identical bushings.

I spent some time yesterday studying a few different shifter items.

First, the stock shifter handle I had removed from my car, the isolator, all mounted on a KR shifter assembly.

IMG_1841z.jpg

IMG_1842z.jpg

IMG_1843z.jpg

Were this a 2010 or later shifter, the stick mounting face would be rotated 90*...

___shifter1.jpg

Same isolator, just a different stick and orientation.

What I found rather interesting was that Ford is indeed still using the same isolator they were using over twenty years ago, on Fox chassis cars equipped with the 5.0L/Borg Warner T5. I laid out the stick and isolator from my '90 LX/HO coupe next to the stock GT500 stick and isolator...

IMG_1850z.jpg

IMG_1851z.jpg

IMG_1855z.jpg

IMG_1857z-1.jpg

The holes in each stick are the same diameter.

IMG_1860z.jpg

Which is nice, because that means that any aftermarket solid shifter bushings that fit the old 5.0 car should also work if I want to mount the KR stick directly to the shifter stub, such as is done with either of the FRPP sticks (either black or polished).

Which also meant that the old 5.0 stick would mount to any stock GT500 shifter, years 2010 and later. It would bring the shifter ball back and closer to the driver (boot fitment may need reworking however). I mounted the old stick on the '13/'14 GT500 shifter mechanism I have...

IMG_1863z.jpg

IMG_1866z.jpg

IMG_1867z.jpg

IMG_1864z.jpg

IMG_1869z.jpg

If you have short arms and long legs that combination may work well for you!:)

The internal threads on the stock knob, being plastic, allowed me to thread the stock knob onto the older stick. Otherwise, just beware that the handle threads are not the same.

IMG_1871z.jpg

On to the KR stick. Note that its "straight up" design brings it back towards the rear of the car a little, relative to the forward leaning stock one.

IMG_1874z.jpg

The holes at the KR base match the diameter and location of the stock handle, allowing the stock isolator to be reused.

IMG_1878z.jpg

IMG_1879z.jpg

IMG_1883z.jpg

IMG_1886z.jpg

Note that the bolts I have been using are those from my Fox. Same thread pitch but a bit shorter that the bolts that come on our GT500's.

I'm pretty sure that if I was to use the KR stick that I would mount it directly to the stub just as I did with the FRPP black stick I have on there now.

IMG_1892z.jpg

Here's a clear shot that shows that a steel or aluminum insert would be needed for a direct mount...

IMG_1901z.jpg

6-Speed

Established Member
I cannot find the rear Poly bushing that FRPP is using, anywhere. A quick Google search brings up a few listings from Steeda (sold by Summit, etc) but when I try to verify fitment by looking through the application listing I see the same part listed as fitting S197 chassis cars with other transmissions that only used one fork instead of the GT500's two. So something isn't right.
Looks like Energy Suspension offers some shifter bushings that may work with the OEM and the KR shifter ... part number 4.1131G.

Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 4.1131G Shifter Bushing Set: Automotive

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Something isn't right about those bushings in a GT500 application but I ordered a set through Amazon a few weeks ago...

_amazonbushings.jpg

Poster came though.:-D

Anyway, I had a lengthy discussion with the machinist I worked on with the CF driveshaft/flange project not too long ago. We discussed the various remote GT500 shifters that Ford has used since '07 as well as the deflection they allow. The discussion turned to that of a solid machined bushing. Well, my doorbell rang about five minutes ago and there was a FedEx guy standing in the pouring rain handing me a box. I'm tied up with a few things at the moment but I'll get out to the shop to at least photograph and share with you guys just what he did a little later.

Tob

Tom, you are an effing rockstar...

Users who are viewing this thread