AAAAAAAAAAnd here we go (weight)

svt 500

Established Member
weight.jpg

Voltwings

Established Member
up 100 lbs, I can live with that for all the new features.

Actually, Edmunds has the current 5.0 at 3605, so that's 99 lbs, they can say it gained less than 100 lbs! lol.

Last edited:

Todd03Blown

Established Member
The source is the Ford Manual that was released today. At least that is what everyone has stated on the other sites.

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
I'm fine with that wouldn't have changed my mind either way. I'm guessing some will be a little more with added options.

Last edited:

Slow Five-O

Established Member
I'd be really disappointed with these numbers. After them claiming (aiming?) 2-300lbs LIGHTER, i was hoping (dreaming?) for 100 and maybe even 200lbs lighter. If these numbers are true that's a difference in 2-300lbs from what i and many others were hoping for.

I'm sure with the IRS it handles great, but with this new one being unproven for drag racing (and historically inadequate from ford), as a drag racer I'm now more interested in getting a 2014 for cheap as the 2015's come out.

I was really looking forward to a competition orange A6.

Voltwings

Established Member
Every car has IRS now though. This isn't 10 years ago where Ford was probably shooting from the Hip with the Cobra, this was likely a dedicated unit designed and built to certain standards. I could be completely wrong, but its not like they were having to re invent the wheel here.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
To each their own. We all have our 'thing' or 'things' that either attract us to a car, or push us away. One of MY big ones is weight. That was the overriding factor for getting my current driver instead of a new (at the time) 2011 GT (or waiting a short while for a 2012 Boss). There were other things, but that ended up being the deciding factor. When the word on the street was that the 2015 Mustang would lose weight, as much as a couple hundred pounds, that got me excited, hopeful, and seriously considering jumping BACK to Ford. Gaining 100 lbs....what a disappointment. Ya, more HP might make it faster. Yes, GM proved you can make a bloated pig handle (see Camaro). But a bloated pig is a bloated pig, and now that includes the Mustang GT (and not just the GT500). Maybe the next generation Mustang...

/admitted weight nazi rant

Slow Five-O

Established Member
Oh i think it will be miles better than 03-04. Which was better than 99 and 01. My point was just that it is unproven what it will hold for drag racing.

I'm still back and forth but the price of a 14 for what you get is looking more enticing than a new 15. I think i am off the few who think the 15 looks better too

svt1111

Established Member
I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty bummed about the weight increase.

I was hoping to possibly pick up the next SVT car but now lighter, higher end, used premium sports cars are continuing to hold my attention in the 50-60k bracket.

HP overcomes a lot, but weight kills all consumables on a tracked car and often numbs the connection of the driver to the car and track. I suppose if your just going to be street cruising and aren't concerned about all out performance, then this discussion is a non issue.

To each their own. We all have our 'thing' or 'things' that either attract us to a car, or push us away. One of MY big ones is weight. That was the overriding factor for getting my current driver instead of a new (at the time) 2011 GT (or waiting a short while for a 2012 Boss). There were other things, but that ended up being the deciding factor. When the word on the street was that the 2015 Mustang would lose weight, as much as a couple hundred pounds, that got me excited, hopeful, and seriously considering jumping BACK to Ford. Gaining 100 lbs....what a disappointment. Ya, more HP might make it faster. Yes, GM proved you can make a bloated pig handle (see Camaro). But a bloated pig is a bloated pig, and now that includes the Mustang GT (and not just the GT500). Maybe the next generation Mustang...

/admitted weight nazi rant

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
People in the know on here have said the SVTs will be lighter, which is how it should be. I think everyone has gotten accustomed to the GT being lighter than the GT500 which worked of course but it isn't how it should be. Now seeing the rather small weight increase of the GT makes it highly believable that the next SVT could go juat as much in the opposite direction with extensive use of weight saving materials.

mjohns930

Established Member
I wonder what trim/option packages are used for these weights. After some reading it looks like curb weight is the car WITH a full tank of gas. For reference, my Brembo/auto/Recaro/301a 2014 weighs 3630lbs with a full tank of gas in fully stock trim. So right at 100lbs over my what my car weighs.

I am looking forward to seeing real cars on scales with full tanks.

EDIT: Cleaned up some confusion I had with curb weight and fuel levels.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Look in your manual to see what they list your car's weight as. Since this is supposed to be from a manual the ratings should be determined the same way for both.

mjohns930

Established Member
Look in your manual to see what they list your car's weight as. Since this is supposed to be from a manual the ratings should be determined the same way for both.

I'm not near my car so I don't have the manual handy, but I have had my car on three different known accurate scales. Like I said above, I am looking forward to seeing real street weights when they come out. Then we can actually compare different options.

svt1111

Established Member
Well, it's all speculation still on the weight of the SVT car, but knowing it will likely have electronic adjustable dampers, thicker sway bars, bigger brakes, wheels and tires, coolers for the trans, diff, all those things ADD weight.

Even if the car weighed the same (which assuming the added content above) as the 15 GT, it's still too heavy to me. But that's just me.

I think the market for used Boss 302's (especially LS's) just got a major boost.

I had been anticipating or more specifically, hoping, that Ford had seized the opportunity to make the car lighter, as in 33-3400 lbs. That's not unreasonable in my judgement. Others may disagree. It is true that all modern cars just keep getting heavier though.

The whole notion of the weight increase being acceptable only reminds me of what our Obama-ized country has become, and that's the continued acceptance of disappointment and the constant lowering of expectations to dull the pain of unmet expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread