AAAAAAAAAAnd here we go (weight)

Deranged2013

Established Member
Maybe we will get lucky and Ford will offer an aluminum body in 2016. Kind of like when they offered the coyote, the 6r80, and the mt-82 a year after the s197 platform was release. Could be that Ford is not showing all their cards until the 2nd model year. I could only hope for this scenario.

BMR Tech

Nah - may as well just go Carbon Body.

Apparently, the best way to build this car, and sell it, is to make it a super car and offer it at $35K. :coolman:

Deranged2013

Established Member
Nah - may as well just go Carbon Body.

Apparently, the best way to build this car, and sell it, is to make it a super car and offer it at $35K. :coolman:

Well since we are allowed to dream. I'm all for this idea.

I'm going to buy the new model and love the direction they are going with the mustang but I just wished it hadn't gained weight. If it had weighed the same, I would have been fine with it. I will just have to buy some Light Weight BMR goodies to bring the weight down some I guess.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Well, based off the looks (non retro) and news of the weight gain I jumped into a 14 GT/CS. My last Mustang was an 03 Cobra purchased back in 2004. Really glad I grabbed the last of this design. It's just plain fun to drive with that high winding 5.0. Aftermarket gives me many directions to consider.

I believe Ford is going to be much more stringent and aware of when and how they pay warranty claims. These newer electronics etc. are going to be harder to mod and trick for power without going directly to Ford. Less warranty claims and more after market parts sales means bigger profits for Ford. Lets not even go into "black boxes" for cars which are coming... JMO

blackvette101

Established Member
I believe Ford is going to be much more stringent and aware of when and how they pay warranty claims. These newer electronics etc. are going to be harder to mod and trick for power without going directly to Ford. Less warranty claims and more after market parts sales means bigger profits for Ford. Lets not even go into "black boxes" for cars which are coming... JMO

Most modern cars including your 2014 have a flash counter so fooling dealerships into paying warranty claims from modified parts is already extremely difficult. Ford is using the same engine with a few hardware changes they aren't changing the electronics. They said the same thing about the GTR when Nissan put anti tuning firewalls in the ecu. Even if they used a new ecu If the demand is there the electronics factor will get sorted out. The only question is if their is enough money to be made to justify cracking the ecu.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
LOL! 3,400lb Mustang?!? I told everyone on here months ago who had that pipe dream that it wasn't happening...

I just want to know how in the world people were thinking that it is possible to have such a loaded up car, with IRS, and the ability to handle 400-500 HP durably.....that would be 200-300lbs lighter than the current 2014. While maintaining a realistic price. I just don't get it?

coolwater28, ;)

I want to know why people are so short-sighted as to not be able to see how Ford could make a lightweight Mustang. Here's the answer; DON'T MAKE THE CAR SO DAMNED BIG!!! Why is that so hard for you people to understand?? They could've probably instantly shaved 200 pounds just by building the current car at a 7/8ths scale while changing nothing else. Even better would've been the current car at 6/8ths scale and 300 - 400 pounds lighter without using a single piece of "exotic" materials.

... The SVTs have always used a larger, heavier engine which was where most the weight came from. ...

Not quite. The SVT cars have traditionally used the same engine as the GT except tuned for more power. It wasn't until the 98 Cobra that they started using a [sort of] different engine. That car's engine was 32V DOHC versus 16V SOHC in the GT, but the block and displacement was the same. Then the '99/'01 Cobra moved to an all aluminum engine while the GT was still using an iron block (I believe). It [arguably] wasn't until the '07 GT500 that SVT started using a wholly different engine platform and architecture from the GT, though the GT500's engine was still a modular engine. (I say "arguably" because the '03/'04 Cobra went back to an iron block like the GT.)

Last edited:

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
I want to know why people are so short-sighted as to not be able to see how Ford could make a lightweight Mustang. Here's the answer; DON'T MAKE THE CAR SO DAMNED BIG!!! Why is that so hard for you people to understand?? They could've probably instantly shaved 200 pounds just by building the current car at a 7/8ths scale while changing nothing else. Even better would've been the current car at 6/8ths scale and 300 - 400 pounds lighter without using a single piece of "exotic" materials.

Why not just shoe horn a coyote engine into the Focus ST and call it a 3/4 scale Mustang III.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Or why not just stick to the topic at hand and say Ford absolutely could have made the Mustang smaller to shave weight?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

I hear what you're saying but the size scale just described is a car with Fiesta hatchback like (even smaller) dimensions. It would have clown car type space with that Mustang drivetrain stuffed in it.

Sorry, that's ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Not quite. The SVT cars have traditionally used the same engine as the GT except tuned for more power. It wasn't until the 98 Cobra that they started using a [sort of] different engine. That car's engine was 32V DOHC versus 16V SOHC in the GT, but the block and displacement was the same. Then the '99/'01 Cobra moved to an all aluminum engine while the GT was still using an iron block (I believe). It [arguably] wasn't until the '07 GT500 that SVT started using a wholly different engine platform and architecture from the GT, though the GT500's engine was still a modular engine. (I say "arguably" because the '03/'04 Cobra went back to an iron block like the GT.)

You made a correct point but let's narrow it down to the most relevant SVTs to hit the market which is from the Terminator til now. These are the cars that changed the game and changed the DNA of SVT Mustangs. It also accounts for the past decade and half of SVT's lifespan.

Users who are viewing this thread