AAS in automotive tech, Welding and Machinist

Oceanside78

Established Member
So, some may remember, I had a thread that ran for a while, "college paid for 4 years, you study what?" (G.I. bill) I got great ideas and honed in on engineering. I think I've concluded that it's not for me. The math is torturous and I'm bored. I've hung out with a few engineers whom were friends of friends or relatives, and that's just not my crowd. I just don't think I fit that bill.

Of the 3 AAS' I mentioned, I've nearly got all the pre reqs done, and I REALLY want to weld. Automotive is a huge passion of mine (obviously, I'm here, right?!) and CNC machining is down right awesome to me. I'm a disabled vet, so between the GI bill, disability and my wife's income, I can afford to go to school for quite a while. If I go during summer, I can get all three AAS degrees in 2.5 years.

I guess my question is, what would you pursue career wise with all three of those AAS'? I'm mainly doing the automotive for personal knowledge and builds, while welding is absolutely awesome IMO and I think Machining is an art. What do you guys think? Pay seems about the same in regards to welding/machining but what has the bigger growth potential? What has the best job security?

Any thoughts/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I'm very open minded and want all the good with the bad. Thanks guys!

Condor21

Established Member
I am currently finishing up my last semester of Welding Technology. I also have a Mechanical Engineering Technology degree.

The demand for welders is HIGH! They can't find enough welders. I've had more opportunities with my welding degree then I did with my Engineering. I was in the Lego store yesterday, trying to find the welder lego figure. I got to talking to a lady and she is a Senior Manager for a welding company and told me to email her my resume.

jblood37

Established Member
I didn't even know you had to go to school to weld? Learned something new. You are right about most engineers. I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and I wouldn't have dreamed about hanging out with about 95% of my classmates. The 5% that were like me all hung out, did homework together, drank together, etc. Haha.

FiveSpeed

Established Member
You don't necessarily have to but it's a big help to have a degree in welding if that's what you're pursuing. Real world experience is the most important but for someone first starting out its a huge help. Especially towards apprenticeships.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Machinist as in cutting metal(lathe/milling)? they teach you off the street down here. I was a machinist(not a good one) for about 4 years. Change positions to quality control. I have a love/hate for the oil field but it pays the bills.

Oceanside78

Established Member
Machinist as in cutting metal(lathe/milling)? they teach you off the street down here. I was a machinist(not a good one) for about 4 years. Change positions to quality control. I have a love/hate for the oil field but it pays the bills.

Yup, the degree is that plus CAD and every form of lathe/milling covered to include machine upkeep and maintenance. Just think it would be a cool thing to have under my belt

Oceanside78

Established Member
I am currently finishing up my last semester of Welding Technology. I also have a Mechanical Engineering Technology degree.

The demand for welders is HIGH! They can't find enough welders. I've had more opportunities with my welding degree then I did with my Engineering. I was in the Lego store yesterday, trying to find the welder lego figure. I got to talking to a lady and she is a Senior Manager for a welding company and told me to email her my resume.

Wow that awesome. What kind of welding do you do? From the research I've done, there's a ton of different kinds/forms of welding. What do you prefer?

Oceanside78

Established Member
I didn't even know you had to go to school to weld? Learned something new. You are right about most engineers. I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and I wouldn't have dreamed about hanging out with about 95% of my classmates. The 5% that were like me all hung out, did homework together, drank together, etc. Haha.

Man, I was warned over and over about it. Then I met my wife's cousin. 29 y/o whom still lives with his mom and is the most socially awkward person I've ever met. Hung out with a friend of a friend who was an EE, freaking WEIRDO! Met a guy last week who was an engineer, and that was the final straw. Guy was so awkward and uncomfortable to talk to I had to make something up to get away from him.

Equalbracket

Established Member
They're generally nerds....just a different breed, but not all of them. And I wouldn't base a career off of people you go to school with or know of, you're there to learn.

I have my certification in welding from a trade school. I can tig mig really well and actually love doing it, but wasn't something I wanted as a career, just the ability. Most of the guys I know that have had this as a career are really shot out and cripple because of the positions they're required to be in for long periods of time.

I'm in school right now for networking but it's also something I don't want as a career, but i'm going to finish it, because its paid for by my current job, which they think I'm going to work in their IT department, which i'm not.

oldmodman

Established Member
Welding can be an incredible career.

A friend's son was a total loser. No skills at all. Everyone thought he would be living at home at 50.

Then he started getting interested in welding. Went to school to learn it as a lifetime skill. Now fully certified he had been working in the chemical and atomic industries for 15 years. He's earning between 200K and 300K a year. Travels all over the world.
And he has recently been upgrading his skill to include underwater deep sea welding for the petroleum industry. very expensive to learn, but a skilled welder that is in high demand can make enough money on one multi month job to retire on. If he doesn't die.

Condor21

Established Member
Wow that awesome. What kind of welding do you do? From the research I've done, there's a ton of different kinds/forms of welding. What do you prefer?

I'm learning all 3 (MIG, TIG, and STICK). But I'm leaning more towards TIG. As of right now I'm AWS 3G certified in TIG Plate.

I did a CO-OP over the summer with Martin Marietta and a lot of Flux Core welding.

It all depends on what you want to do, but if you decide to go to school for it, they probably cover the 3 basic processes.

Oceanside78

Established Member
They're generally nerds....just a different breed, but not all of them. And I wouldn't base a career off of people you go to school with or know of, you're there to learn.

I'm not, I'm basing it off my struggles in Math and I haven't even caught up to freshman requirements yet (Calc I) the people I've interacted with were just "frosting" on the cake

Oceanside78

Established Member
Welding can be an incredible career.

A friend's son was a total loser. No skills at all. Everyone thought he would be living at home at 50.

Then he started getting interested in welding. Went to school to learn it as a lifetime skill. Now fully certified he had been working in the chemical and atomic industries for 15 years. He's earning between 200K and 300K a year. Travels all over the world.
And he has recently been upgrading his skill to include underwater deep sea welding for the petroleum industry. very expensive to learn, but a skilled welder that is in high demand can make enough money on one multi month job to retire on. If he doesn't die.

Do you know if he just got certified or did he get the Associates in it?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Currently attending Tulsa Welding School. Ask away!

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
How do you like it so far? Do they help guide you for employment after you're done? What kind of welding are you going to try to do when you finish school?

I love it! They have crazy job placement. They have companies that come in and test guys straight from school. The whole key is graduating the 7 1/2 month program. Graduates get weekly emails from the school with lists of jobs. I know one company builds warships for the navy, they actively hire from the school. They focus on stick and tig. There is some mig but from my experience so far if you can stick and tig you can do anything. The last two weeks I would aay I've done over 1000 welds all 7018 rod in various positions. I would like to master tig then work for someone for a few years then either start a C&C and fab shop or become an AWS inspector. In high school I literally dreaded going everyday but not with TWS I love to weld and everyday is like going to do my favorite hobby but you get paid good money lol. They also allow any graduate to come and occupancy provided practice on any machine in the facility to brush up. The school is not so much the degree its more providing one the tools to apply themselves 150%.

Oceanside78

Established Member
I love it! They have crazy job placement. They have companies that come in and test guys straight from school. The whole key is graduating the 7 1/2 month program. Graduates get weekly emails from the school with lists of jobs. I know one company builds warships for the navy, they actively hire from the school. They focus on stick and tig. There is some mig but from my experience so far if you can stick and tig you can do anything. The last two weeks I would aay I've done over 1000 welds all 7018 rod in various positions. I would like to master tig then work for someone for a few years then either start a C&C and fab shop or become an AWS inspector. In high school I literally dreaded going everyday but not with TWS I love to weld and everyday is like going to do my favorite hobby but you get paid good money lol. They also allow any graduate to come and occupancy provided practice on any machine in the facility to brush up. The school is not so much the degree its more providing one the tools to apply themselves 150%.

That's badass man. You're getting me excited. Everyday I go to school, I walk past the welding and automotive building and I'm like, "why the hell am I not in there..." I feel like it calls to me as cheesy as that sounds.

What's the pay like in this kind of career? I've done a little lookin around, but most don't mention pay in the job listings. Is there a lot of potential for growth, or is it like, once you X amount of experience/time doing it, you'll really only make Y amount of dollars?

Condor21

Established Member
That's badass man. You're getting me excited. Everyday I go to school, I walk past the welding and automotive building and I'm like, "why the hell am I not in there..." I feel like it calls to me as cheesy as that sounds.

What's the pay like in this kind of career? I've done a little lookin around, but most don't mention pay in the job listings. Is there a lot of potential for growth, or is it like, once you X amount of experience/time doing it, you'll really only make Y amount of dollars?

There is some BIG money to be made in welding. Like trc46 said, if you later become an inspector (CWI), you can make 100K+ with experience. One of my friends graduated from the program. Got a job and would come back after doing a job and they kept raising his pay because other companies were offering him a job.

Oceanside78

Established Member
There is some BIG money to be made in welding. Like trc46 said, if you later become an inspector (CWI), you can make 100K+ with experience. One of my friends graduated from the program. Got a job and would come back after doing a job and they kept raising his pay because other companies were offering him a job.

That's awesome. What does a CWI do? Go around to older jobs and check the welds integrity or...? I mean, the 'inspector' part is a giveaway, but I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that

Users who are viewing this thread