? about hood blanket.

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
I opened the hood on Saturday to find that on my blanket was some kind of white chalky substance on both the drivers side and the passengers side of the blanket about 6" inches long in a couple of places.anyone know what this stuff is?............I do not drive in the snow so it can't be road salt, not battery acid.............anyone.............. :shrug:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Probably just water stains. A lot of us take our blankets off periodically and paint them with flat black paint to keep them looking new. Just did mine yesterday actually. My last hood blanket paint job lasted a year.

GotGrunt

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Probably just water stains. A lot of us take our blankets off periodically and paint them with flat black paint to keep them looking new. Just did mine yesterday actually. My last hood blanket paint job lasted a year.
Exactly... And while you have it off to paint it, do the hood mod :rockon: I didn't paint mine, but I did stencil in the COBRA lettering :D

hoodmod5jl.jpg

Last edited:

PoisonSnake

Banned
Where can I buy that tape thing to seal where you cut on the hood?

I want to just remove the whole blanket (since mine is painted under) but my wife insists on me putting it back on because it's ''there for a reason'' and supposed to smother the fire in case the engine catches on fire or something. bah..

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
SVT316x said:

I want to just remove the whole blanket (since mine is painted under) but my wife insists on me putting it back on because it's ''there for a reason'' and supposed to smother the fire in case the engine catches on fire or something. bah..
If the engine catches on fire the car is done anyways, right? How long do you think it'll take for the fire truck to get there? :lol1: The biggest thing about the hood blanket is to damper noise levels from the engine compartment. I think the whole fire retard blanket "myth" is ridiculous! No hood blanket can smother burning oil and gasoline. If you're that concerned about fire I suggest you keep a PKP extinguisher onboard....:lol1:

Last edited:

GotGrunt

Established Member
SVT316x said:

It's called flex trim and you can get it at any marine shop. I also have a fully painted underside, but I prefer the look of having a hood blanket. Either way, shouldn't have a problem...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
04slvr_snake said:
Isn't the blanket also there to help prevent the hood from fading
I don't think so. How would it help prevent the hood from fading?

GotGrunt

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I don't think so. How would it help prevent the hood from fading?
Since the blower sits up so high and gets so hot I would assume that it would take a toll on the hood paint eventually. A lot of people run their cars w/o the blanket w/o any negative effects though :shrug:

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Mine is off and leaning against the wall next to my car in the garage. I leave it there so I won't ding my door on the concrete wall. :)

PoisonSnake

Banned
Any of you rip the flaps completely off that way if you ever want to put it back on (if it's raining or something) you can just snap them back on instead of having to remove the blanket again to put it back or having to put velcro straps on the hood?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The blanket is OFF and the flaps are closed when it rains and open when its dry. I use 3M velcro under the hood and on the end of the flaps to keep them folded back and open when they're not clipped shut.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Well, I talked to 2 different Auto Body shops and the guys told me that the blanket would do nothing to the paint on the hood of the car, especially with the hood being a fiberglass composite type hood. Without me saying anything to either guy at the different shops, they both said that they put those hood blankets on just to keep the noise levels down.

So, my hood blanket is Gone !!! Of course, the reason why I was at the body shops asking about this is because my hood is not painted in the middle of the hood. The liner was covering up the area where there was nothing but primer. Man, FORD is cheap-asses !!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
03RedCobra said:
Without me saying anything to either guy at the different shops, they both said that they put those hood blankets on just to keep the noise levels down.!
:thumbsup:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
StngStr said:
Mine is off and leaning against the wall next to my car in the garage. I leave it there so I won't ding my door on the concrete wall. :)
hey thats a great idea, my blanket will now be moved from the rafters the concrete wall where i open my door in my garage.

Users who are viewing this thread