??? about JLP R exhaust???

Mike Corrigan

Established Member
How much do you guys think a cat-back will help me?

Right now I still have the stock cat-back, purely because I do not want a lot of noise. My truck put down 599/670 on 14 degrees of timing. I have Dynatech long-tubes, with a 2 1/2" non-catted mid pipe. If its under 10 Hp it's not worth it to me to sacrifice the noise level.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Sharp, i think at your level, an aftermarket catback would give you more than 10 rwhp gain..

I thought i was the only one running L/Ts with a stock catback.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
wydopnthrtl said:
There isn't a majical number. And it would depend on what else you have in the exhaust system. (mufflers and cats)

I went for the MSX headers because I will be pushing 800hp. And even though thier mids and my bassani are 2.5".. I'll one day be changing that to mate up to thier 3" collectors.

Rich

I don't know. I think 3" exhaust is needed on something like JLP's 8 second truck. An all out truck pushing that much air. But for a street driven truck, even running into the 9's, dual 2.5" should be fine.

Rob54

Established Member
Sinister04L said:
I'm probably going to hurt some feelings, but here goes: I don't think the JLP exhaust really does much for these trucks over a standard longtube/2.5" setup. Here's the reason why:

I bought my built motor from a guy that was running the full JLP setup without cats. He dyno'd 613/669. The same motor in my truck, on the same dyno, with the same tuner, put down 614/674 with Kooks LT's and a Bassani catback WITH highflow cats. Virtually no gain, and I'm running cats. Maybe with both setups on a full tilt race tune the JLP exhaust might make a difference, but I don't know. Take it for what it's worth.
Just because you have the same tuner, dosn't mean you have the same tune! Timing, A/F, atmospheric conditions and about a million other things could affect those numbers. I do run the JLP "R" setup, it has 304SS stepped (1.625" to 1.75") equal length headers, 3" throughout. This kit is top quality, but I will not claim that it makes a bunch more power than other setups. I will say you can't judge it on two uncontrolled tests with unknown tune differences.

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Has anyone heard it, or used it? I havent seen much on it, but it looks cool on their site. I am wondering if its just for race trucks, or if a truck with basic mods would see the 60 hp that JLP claims, and if it would sound awesome? I like my bassani catback, and maggy mids, but this thing looks too cool. Thx, Sean

I have it installed on my L and love it, its amazing how much better it flows over my old exhaust of Kooks LTs gutted cats, and flowmaster mufflers

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Rob54 said:
Just because you have the same tuner, dosn't mean you have the same tune! Timing, A/F, atmospheric conditions and about a million other things could affect those numbers. I do run the JLP "R" setup, it has 304SS stepped (1.625" to 1.75") equal length headers, 3" throughout. This kit is top quality, but I will not claim that it makes a bunch more power than other setups. I will say you can't judge it on two uncontrolled tests with unknown tune differences.

Actually, it was the same basic tune with very little changes. He actually had MORE timing than I did (12* to 14*). I also had cats and he didn't. I know there are other variables, but that's about as close a comparison as I've seen anyone make. The fact that the numbers were almost exact, with me a little ahead, proves to me that there was nothing to be gained by using it (at that level). If you think otherwise, that's cool, you're entitled to your opinion.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Did I say it was loud as F*CK!!!!??? It makes MY ears hurt when I run windows down. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

You make "runs" with your windows down :nono: , mabye that why your slow ET's :eek: :poke: ... Stan

Users who are viewing this thread