? about stock boost gauge

larryc7777

Established Member
Kom,

That would make a much nicer looking finished product than my method. The tab cutting would still have to be done, though.

larryc7777

Established Member
Sorry guys, the pics will have to wait till I get home tomorrow. I can't get the digital pics to download out of the camera. I'll use the card reader tomorrow. Larry

larryc7777

Established Member
Well I finally got the pic to download. The camera flash made all of the pics too bright. This one is almost right.:shrug:

larryc7777

Established Member
f4sfed What about vaccum? Does it now show that as well?

I believe that it could show vacuum but I didn't investigate that possibility. There is another adjustable stop pin that aligns the needle to "0". I would imagine if that pin(actually a plastic screw) were to be removed, the gauge would deflect to the left when vacuum was present. HOWEVER, I didn't pay any attention to the needle movement linkage when I had mine apart. Since the gauge was never meant to read vacuum, the linkage may not support needle movement in that direction. Sorry I can't really answer your question. I was only interested in BOOST.;-) :burnout:

kom

Established Member
I emailed about 6 or 7 manufacturers of gauge face overlays since you posted about this. I used your picture to show exactly what was needed. Only one got back to me saying they could not do it. Maybe the SEMA show is going to delay them getting back to me...

larryc7777

Established Member
kom,

That's too bad 'cause the overlay would be so easy to make. The boost-to-gauge-movement ratio is so linear that you can almost mark your own gauge without even testing, although I don't recommend that. Every 45 degrees of needle movement equates to 5 psi. And the 1 psi increments appear to be equally spaced apart. I only tested to 15 psi so that's all that I can personnally vouch for, but I bet that the higher reading are the same. Thanks for the effort, man. Larry

Friendchicken

Thanks for experimenting Larry, It's something I'll look into. BTW, you do not want to go to an aftermarket company for your overlay, but you need to hit a print shop or sign shop. They can make clear overlays of anything you want. If you design a template, you can have them cut out about 100 copies for about $20 on one sheet of transparency.

Cut them up and mail them to your fav terminator buddies ;)

randy

Established Member
When Kennebell did the tests on my car, I am pretty sure they blew the diaphram out of my stock sender. They have a new one on order, but I use their gauges instead anyway. Vaccuum readings give you a good indication on the health of your engine anyway....

larryc7777

Established Member
Well I'm happy to report that the time & effort that I put into this modification was worthwhile. I installed my 2.93 DUB pulley tonight & then took a quick ride to see if my modified boost gauge would do the trick.:shrug: It works GREAT.:beer: On a long 4th gear pull, the gauge needle indicated between 13 & 14 psi. Exactly where I wanted to be.:-D And DAMN, does this car pull hard with that much boost. I'm impressed.

Also, I highly recommend the Pulleyboys Cobra puller. I had never changed a pulley before, so the only experience that I had was what I learned on this site. I had the stock pulley off in about 15 min. and had the new hub mounted in 30 min. The latter time included a call to SFPHQ to get a clarification on their mounting instructions. The puller worked flawlessly & shows no sign of wear after 1 usage. Overall, a good night in the garage.:thumbsup: Larry

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by kom
I emailed about 6 or 7 manufacturers of gauge face overlays since you posted about this. I used your picture to show exactly what was needed. Only one got back to me saying they could not do it. Maybe the SEMA show is going to delay them getting back to me...
Any word on overlays yet?

kom

Established Member
I emailed a total of about 10 different places with exactly what was needed. I received responses from about 5 saying that they could not make it and the others I never heard back from...

Last edited:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am a Graphic Designer by trade and I'd be willing to investigate this further
unless someone else has beat me to it. What ndo you guys think? LMK

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Ray Hilton
I am a Graphic Designer by trade and I'd be willing to investigate this further
unless someone else has beat me to it. What ndo you guys think? LMK

Go for it

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Ray Hilton
I'll start monday when i go in to my office/shop. I wonder how many out there could use one of these overlays.

I'm in :thumbsup:

Doing the gauge mod tomorrow

larryc7777

Established Member
Hey Ray,

The gauge movement was VERY linear on my factory gauge. I mean that the distance that the needle traveled to indicate 5psi was exactly half way between 0 & 10. The distance from 10 to 15 was the same as 0 to 5 or 5 to 10. Each 5 psi increase in pressure caused the needle to swing 45 degrees. Total swing from 0 to 15 was 135 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread