? about stock boost gauge

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the info. In my haste to contribute to this project I overlooked the fact that my car has the stock pulley and probably will for a while. I would still be willing to take a shot at this however.

donpablo

Established Member
lots of work you did there! i use self-adhesive numbers (chart pack) for alot of projects. go to walmart/target or any craft store and you should find them on a sheet in a variety of sizes.

regards, DonPablo

haskett

Established Member
I can't wait to see what we can do with an overlay to show boost.

I wonder if we can get someone to fit a combo vacuum/boost gauge into the stock cluster ? I'll be staying with the sleeper/stock look, and have no interest in adding gauge pods to the interior of my car.

Here is a shot of the dash in my '92 SC. The top middle gauge is a combo vacuum/boost gauge and it worked great.

rskdsk

Established Member
This mod need to go in the write up on these cars in the mod section ... so it does not get lost. I am sure many people will want to do this

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by larryc7777
Well I'm happy to report that the time & effort that I put into this modification was worthwhile. I installed my 2.93 DUB pulley tonight & then took a quick ride to see if my modified boost gauge would do the trick.:shrug: It works GREAT.:beer: On a long 4th gear pull, the gauge needle indicated between 13 & 14 psi. Exactly where I wanted to be.:-D And DAMN, does this car pull hard with that much boost. I'm impressed.

Also, I highly recommend the Pulleyboys Cobra puller. ... The latter time included a call to SFPHQ to get a clarification on their mounting instructions. The puller worked flawlessly & shows no sign of wear after 1 usage. Overall, a good night in the garage.:thumbsup: Larry

Larry -- this thread has been bookmarked under 'good info'. Outstanding work asking a question on 11/07 and then doing the research and work to answer it, and providing good pulley info.
I am (almost) motivated to get up and actually DO something instead of just reading about other people doing things.
JW

sn8kbite

Established Member
I used Motorsport gauges,i pulled the bulbs out and painted them with plasti-kote touch up paint so when they are turned on they closely resemble the factory dash color.

SVT 03 Cobra

Originally posted by Ray Hilton
I'll start monday when i go in to my office/shop. I wonder how many out there could use one of these overlays.

If you figure out a way to overlay it Ray, Count me in, I don't really want to add a gauge pod, but will have my 2.8" pully next week, so I have to do something.

Jayson

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'll be looking into it first of the week and I'll let you know what I came up with. I too would like to keep my guage panel stock looking on this car anyway.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey guys. I checked into what I believe it will take to make the overlay we've been discussing. I think in order for this to be produced correctly and in the limited quantitys we're talking about I will have to make an original that matches the type stye used on the stock boost guage. This would have the 15 on it as well as the hash marks in one pound increments. It would be very similar to the one that was hand done and pictured in an earlier thread. Once I have made my original I will have it silk screen printed on a sheet of clear adhesive backed material. Then when the guage is taken out you would place the additional modified overlay on the stock guage face and have it register to 15Lbs. This will take a bit of work/expense to produce but when I'm finished I believe it will have a factory look to it. I'd like to get an idea as to how many out there are interested so I know how many to make.LMK

haskett

Established Member
You might want to post a new thread to solicit response from those that have long since ignored this thread, but might be interested in getting in on this.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
i am very interested...today i hit 10psi with only a k&n filter and removed silencer!!! =O

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Larry, mad props, amazing something so simple is so good. Any idea on the vaccum? You got better handwriting then me for sure. I'll stick with some kind for overlay or screen numbers. Keep up the idea's.:beer:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm really not far enough along with the project as yet to give a dollar amout but from past experience I'd say $20 each or less depending on quantity. I think I'll start a new thread on this as suggested cause you have to wind through this one quite a while to get to this point now. This will take a while to finish as there are several processes involved but I will see it through to completion. If anyone new out there is interested please LMK as this will help determine quantitys. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
just an idea....what if the last 3 lines..13, 14 and 15psi of boost were red. i think it would look pretty cool, because it would match the tachometer. Sort of like a red line for boost....
so what do u guys think??

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
Sounds good, but what if the redlines where at the 18,19,20? Because we already know that our cars are safe at 13, 14, 15 or even 16, so lets go higher so it will raise some eyebrows? What do you all think? Info and opinions?

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
oooooooohhhhhhh YES I like both previous replies.

Problem ? I did the mod on the gauge today and at WOT my needle is pointing at about 3:30 ... wtf? That seems to high for the 2.93 - 100mm pulleys in my sig.

What boost would that be? 14, 15, 15.5, 16 ???

I checked it twice and really looked at it good in 4th at 6,000 rpm.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread