About those cats?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Stock cats good?

I have heard from others that some cats from the factory are relatively free flowing. This was an LS1 guy however. Does anyone know how good the stock cats are on our cobras?

Another question, what would be the difference in having my local muffler shop do the work and just purchasing magnaflow mufflers? They do excellent work and would be less expensive I am sure.

My last question is, would it be OK to leave the stock cats and just do a cat-back, or would I notice enough difference in replacing the cats as well.

I know this is a weak horse, if not already dead, but I appreciate direct answers over scanning for old news.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting that nice throaty sound..
:coolman:

The stock system we have is 2.5" correct? Any big gain going to 3"?
:shrug:

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
One more quick question..

have we figured out whats optimal in size?

2 1/2 or 3 inch? isnt the stock exhaust 2.5 inch?

thanks for the help...
:beer:

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
UM, how do I say this. Are the stock cats decent? Should they be replaced? If we already have 2.5" back stock, do we benifit by going up to 3"?

I think these are legit questions, will appreciate all replies...
tnx

03DOHC

Established Member
The stock exhaust is 2 1/4". There are guys running low 11's with 2 1/2" exhaust and 10's don't seem that far away.

Some have had good results and are running quick with the stock h-pipe. I would get the x-pipe, and did, because it gives the car a unique and very cool sound and should be worth a few horses to boot.

I wouldn't just get the mufflers. Get the whole cat-back. The tubing appears to be bent much better and it looks better.

As far as the 2 1/2" -vs- 3" exhaust argument goes, IMO I don't think you'll see a performance advantage in going to a 3" system over a 2 1/2" system on a slightly modded(chip, pulley, intake, TB) '03 Cobra. Now if you're shooting for 600rwhp you might want to consider it. JMO.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
03DOHC, Thanks, you are talking new cats as well, right? I would do the entire cat back exhaust, but my ? was having the local shop bend the 2.5" pipe and buy the magnaflow mufflers to go with. Any reason why this wouldnt work or is not recommended?

tnx:beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
I would just get the complete Magnaflow system. X-pipe w/cats and cat-back. Fits perfect as is.

I got mine for $740 shipped to my door during the last group purchace here. Someone posted in another recent magnaflow thread here today, that they got it for $745 shipped w/no mention of a GP.

I've already been where you are. Himming and hawing and hoping to not make a bad decision. You will love the Magnaflow system especially if you get the catted x-pipe. Sweet, sweet sound. Engine feels great and revs freely. Almost seemed asthmatic when compared to stock.

If you're looking for a quiet exhaust, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a really loud exhaust, look elsewhere. If you're fine with a volume level in between, you've found it.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks, just what I was looking for.
You can disreguard PM I just sent you :lol:

Whats a fair price to have it installed?
150-250?

thanks agn

:beer:

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
03DOHC: How would the system sound with a Bassani O/R X with the Magnaflow catback... I'm leaning toward that here in a month when I get my baby... I like the ~1.5 ft of polished tips on the magnaflows...

-- Jaret

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
I talked to a Borla rep today. And guess what he told me that the stock ford cats are as free flowing as all the trumped up after market units out there. And I believe him. The reason is Ford was and is trying to make a statement bringing back American muscle cars. Think about it if aftermarket dealers can make free flowing cats that give more HP then why in the world would not Ford do the same thing. Further if he was pulling my leg why did he not just seell me the cats I was looking for. In his humble opinion he told me to just stick with a aft cat system and save aorund 400$ Now thats a salesman I can live with.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by JClifton
03DOHC: How would the system sound with a Bassani O/R X with the Magnaflow catback... I'm leaning toward that here in a month when I get my baby... I like the ~1.5 ft of polished tips on the magnaflows...

-- Jaret
I don't know. There are a few people with that combo here though.

chassebr

Established Member
Originally posted by jumpincactus
I talked to a Borla rep today. And guess what he told me that the stock ford cats are as free flowing as all the trumped up after market units out there. And I believe him. The reason is Ford was and is trying to make a statement bringing back American muscle cars. Think about it if aftermarket dealers can make free flowing cats that give more HP then why in the world would not Ford do the same thing. Further if he was pulling my leg why did he not just seell me the cats I was looking for. In his humble opinion he told me to just stick with a aft cat system and save aorund 400$ Now thats a salesman I can live with.

True, the cats are probably as free flowing as you can get without tripping the 'light'. However, the aftermarket H and X pipes are still obviously better because of the 2.5" and 3" and mandrel bent pipes apposed to the factory 2.24" non-mandrel bent.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> You will love the MagnaFlow system especially if you get the catted x-pipe. Sweet, sweet sound.

Don't mean to hate on MagnaFlow, but I regret not having gone with Dr. Gas/Spin Tech. It has the hollow, raspy sound that I favor. The MagnaFlow at 2K-3K sounds like a throaty fart can to me. Above that, it growls menacingly.

> Whats a fair price to have it installed?

About an hour to install, but you will probably get charged two hours worth of work. Two hours at Midas will run you about $130. Two hours at a reputable tuner, $170. $250? No way.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
The stock exhaust is 2 1/4". There are guys running low 11's with 2 1/2" exhaust and 10's don't seem that far away.

Some have had good results and are running quick with the stock h-pipe. I would get the x-pipe, and did, because it gives the car a unique and very cool sound and should be worth a few horses to boot.

I wouldn't just get the mufflers. Get the whole cat-back. The tubing appears to be bent much better and it looks better.

As far as the 2 1/2" -vs- 3" exhaust argument goes, IMO I don't think you'll see a performance advantage in going to a 3" system over a 2 1/2" system on a slightly modded(chip, pulley, intake, TB) '03 Cobra. Now if you're shooting for 600rwhp you might want to consider it. JMO.

Words of iron - only add I have is that exhaust gas temps through the aftermarket x-pipes are much lower, suggesting they will last a good long while. The factory setup with two pre-cats and two cats behind is done to ensure fast lightoff and to pass the stringent cold start EPA tests. The aftermarket does not have that concern, since any sniff tests are done when the car is good and warm (I am not aware of any state or muncipality that demands cold start emissions tests - people have to get to the test station!). So the aftermarket can design for clean air and better flow, and not have to run the cats at extremely high temps to do so. Add in the better construction, smooth bends, and you have a better case than just HP/TQ to make your buying decision.

Did I mention the sound gives me a boner?

forane2001

Established Member
I went with magnaflow catted x pipe and steeda catback. awesome sound and great increase in power. from what i understand the h pipe is what is so restrictive on these cars. one guy said the car was extremely quite with just the h pipe and no mufflers. i would recommend this system . i love it . check it out on www.steeda.com
oh by the way my ford dealer put my system on

Users who are viewing this thread