About to get an 04 terminator

RAIDERS

Established Member
the car is mainly stock 39k miles . I heard so many horror story about these cars . If I keep it stock and drive with care . Will it last ?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
the car is mainly stock 39k miles . I heard so many horror story about these cars . If I keep it stock and drive with care . Will it last ?

Why would you be in the market for one if you've heard "horror stories" about them?

Just be diligent in your inspection of the car as you would with any other car.

RAIDERS

Established Member
Because I always wanted one but can't not afford it . So all I did was reading about it but never asking any question lol . Now I can finally afford one. So I asking question that I been heard

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Look it over and have a compression test done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
If the mods were installed right, and a proper tune was put on you'll have no issues. I suggest a head cooling mod be installed on any terminator.

There are a lot of really ragged out cars out there and those can be nightmares. Other than the hcm these cars are tough.

When I bought my car I told my buddy I was going to crank up the boost and he said ill just be blowing head gaskets. I asked him why he thought that, and his response was he knew a kid in college that had one and blew the head gasket 3 times. I assume when these cars came out there was quite the learning curve on tuning and modding forced induction for the Mustang community. During that time some people probably formed negative opinions of them.

maxmax

Established Member
You may want to do some more reading first, I'm thinking the 04 Cobra may not be the right car for you.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
This is one of those cars that demands good maintenance. If not, then they will become nightmares. They demand to be tuned right with a good fuel system setup. If not, they become a nightmare. Previous owners trying to cheap out when making them fast is what creates most of these horror stories. Since the Cobra is over 10 years old, people are getting ahold of them and trying to make power on the cheap. What I'm trying to say is, usually the owners create these nightmare stories you're hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ What SVTdreamin04 said. And be aware that it is not uncommon for an '03-'04 Cobra to be advertised as being "stock" when it actually was modded (sometimes heavily) and then de-modded for a sale.

The more you know about these Cobras the better chance you'll get exactly what you're looking for without inheriting any issues you'll have to deal with later. Read through this info from my Terminator FAQs.

And then browse through my Terminator FAQs. Lots of info there relative to these '03-'04 Cobras.

Steve23

Established Member
A common issue I have always noticed over the years is people are able to afford 1. (Since we all know banks don't always loan on these because of banks value versus actual market value.) However, people will finally afford 1, and then purchase one. But when it comes time to modifying and the maintenance, they do it cheaply and without the proper supporting pieces to support those mods.

Heat soak is common, people don't deal with that issue.

Another thing I see is, smaller pulley with a canned tune. Don't be that guy. Do it right, you'll have a beast and a reliable beast at that. Do the research, but more so, do it right. Spend the money, don't be cheap and skip on things, you'll pay for it later.

I see Cobra's on the Facebook pages for sale seemingly often with a blown motor. They always seem to have a smaller pulley and canned tune. I don't believe in canned tunes personally, even for minor bolt-ons. But call me biased, do it once, do it right, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HPLouis

Established Member

I would imagine if you kept it stock, it would last a very long time. Have you read 'Iron Fist, Lead Foot'? Get a copy and see the testing that car went through. From what I've read, From built this car to last. Also, there's a member here (I forgot his name but others will remember it) and he has around 300K miles on a mainly stock Terminator (exhaust and tune I think).

dom418

Established Member
Keep it under 2,000 RPMs and as long as it doesn't leave your garage, it will last forever

These cars are ticking time bombs

Users who are viewing this thread