ABS light and traction control light are on.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Hey guys ,all of a sudden my ABS light and T/C light came on. Do you all think it could be just a wheel sensor or the ABS module(i hope not cuz it will suck)? My car has only 22k on the dash.

Anybody had this problem before?

Thank you!

BlownShelby10

Established Member
Yes I had this exact problem...Its a sensor in the rear...Either the right or left side! Replaced mine and problem was fixed! Hope this helps u out

BlownShelby10

Established Member
Yeah man...and to know for sure if its a sensor...Unplug your battery for a few, then hook it back up and see if the light goes away...Then go for a drive and see if it pops back on and if it does its a sensor!

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Hook up a scan tool to the computer and what the error code is. It should tell you which sensor it could possibly be.

Sent from my iPhone, while driving and slamming the bottle hard.

BlownShelby10

Established Member
I know its the rear bc I changed mine and fixed the problem! I mean his could be a different problem but what I did fixed mine so, I was just giving him my .02 on what a did to fix mine!

AaronK

Established Member
With it affecting the traction control system, I would imagine it's in the rear like stated above.

Digital

Established Member
With it affecting the traction control system, I would imagine it's in the rear like stated above.

The traction control turns off when ever the ABS system detects a faul. It has nothing to do with the front or rear.
Also the entire ABS system turns off when it detects any type of fault in the system. If you understand how the ABS system works and how the traction control system works (both are very primitive in our cars) you'll understand why it shuts itself down. (SAFETY)

(Edit)
Eh.. I'll post how it works lol.

-Traction Control-
When any of the four ABS/traction control sensors detect that a drive wheel is spinning at a rate higher than its counterpart, ignition spark is retarded and the fuel/air ratio is modulated to attenuate torque delivered to the slipping tire. If the condition persists, cylinder cut-off occurs, brakes are applied to the wheel with low friction, and power is transferred to the other drive wheel.

-ABS-
The Mustang has a 4-wheel anti-lock brake system (ABS). The system operates as follows:
Prevents wheel lock-up during an emergency stop by modulating brake pressure.
Permits the driver to maintain steering control and stop the vehicle in the shortest possible distance under most conditions.
Activates with varying brake pedal force to engage the ABS function depending on the road surface conditions. A dry surface requires a higher force, while a slippery surface requires much less force.
The driver will sense a pulsation in the brake pedal during the ABS operation.
The pedal effort and pedal feel during normal braking are similar to that of a conventional power brake system.

You can go to most major auto repair shops and have them hook up a ABS code reader tool to your car and it'll tell them exactly what is causing your system fault down to the exact part and location. Usually it costs $75-125.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
^^^IIRC, you need a special one for the brake system.

Really? I guess that makes sense cause it's not the mil. I know on some older cars you can jump pins and pull a flash code.

Sent from my iPhone, while driving and slamming the bottle hard.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I have the exact same problem with mine, assumed it was one of the rear sensors but I plan to swap sensors when I do my sra swap next month and see if that fixes it.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Hey Yellow2003Cobra thank you for the answers.It looks like i have what you said,i was just too lazy to hook up my scan tool last night.
Today I hooked it up and this is what it showed:

Rear right sensor.
capturevz.png

Silver TT

Established Member
My ABS light goes on / off intermittently. Doesn't seem to have much rhyme or reason. A few weeks ago I swapped out the front system to the 14" Monobloc Brembos with new rotors, calipers, pads and the rear with new slotted rotors and HPS pads. Truly amazing performance improvement with the new brake system (but that is for another post).

As for the ABS I used to notice (prior to Brembo swap) when I was pulling up to a light the pedal would vibrate very lightly under foot. Almost like a really mild ABS action but I'm talking about going like 5 mph and definitely not triggering any type of slip / traction situation. Anyone feel that before in the brake pedal under light braking?

Users who are viewing this thread