Abs light + dyno day= fail

b_dike

Established Member
I personally turn those off because ive seen them have issues on even at 7k....

this is weird....

Im not sure but you need to fix what you know is wrong. starting with the abs lamp and go from there.

I agree... Not being able to replicate the problem is very frustrating though.

Hopefully I'll have an answer in a week or two. Update with a fix and keep this thread relevant for others.

Thanks for your help thus far brian97cobra

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
are you 100% sure the coils and plugs are ok?

you need to pull the coil covers and verify this.

id pull the plugs and check the gap on them.

post pics of the coils and the plugs. it almost sounds like a fuel issue also.

what fuel system do you have?

list all your mods

b_dike

Established Member
are you 100% sure the coils and plugs are ok?

you need to pull the coil covers and verify this.

id pull the plugs and check the gap on them.

post pics of the coils and the plugs. it almost sounds like a fuel issue also.

what fuel system do you have?

list all your mods

Mods are: 2.76 upper/ 100mm aux

Tr6 plugs (unknown gap)
K&n filter/ stock intake
Upr o/r x and stingers
McLeod rxt 26spline w/ all the helpings
Lpw diff cover
Mgw orange handle
H&R race springs
Fuel system is literally bone stock
New fuel filter in march

Thing is, it runs fine on the street. Always has... Put it on the dyno (1st time in 3 yrs) and it won't rev past 4600.

Also I data logged the fpdc, and my pumps are at 90%/ maf was @ 1006. All in 60* weather. Timing peaked at 20.25.

I don't have a wideband but at the dyno it was reading extremely lean low in the rpms... Then once he punched it, it slowly came down to the low 12's. Too lean I know. One of the primary reason for going to the dyno. At 4600 rpm a/r was 12.08. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Like I said absolutely no problems on the street.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Seems like you don't think it's the problem anymore but I've tested my sensors with a DMM. You put it on AC Voltage and connect it to the sensor. Drive at a constant known speed and record voltage. Move to the next untill one sticks out or isn't consistent.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Mods are: 2.76 upper/ 100mm aux

Tr6 plugs (unknown gap)
K&n filter/ stock intake
Upr o/r x and stingers
McLeod rxt 26spline w/ all the helpings
Lpw diff cover
Mgw orange handle
H&R race springs
Fuel system is literally bone stock
New fuel filter in march

Thing is, it runs fine on the street. Always has... Put it on the dyno (1st time in 3 yrs) and it won't rev past 4600.

Also I data logged the fpdc, and my pumps are at 90%/ maf was @ 1006. All in 60* weather. Timing peaked at 20.25.

I don't have a wideband but at the dyno it was reading extremely lean low in the rpms... Then once he punched it, it slowly came down to the low 12's. Too lean I know. One of the primary reason for going to the dyno. At 4600 rpm a/r was 12.08. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Like I said absolutely no problems on the street.

Well your on track to melt something at that rate bro. You need to stop hammering on it.

Needs to be 11.0-11.4 in boost

12 is to high

90% is not good and the maf count is high

b_dike

Established Member
Seems like you don't think it's the problem anymore but I've tested my sensors with a DMM. You put it on AC Voltage and connect it to the sensor. Drive at a constant known speed and record voltage. Move to the next untill one sticks out or isn't consistent.

I didn't think it was a problem before the dyno day, but now it's more of a problem than ever. The point of going to the dyno was to have my a/f checked out. Had no idea an abs lamp would keep me from dynoing fully.

Also it would be very difficult for any tuner to correct the a/f if the car only pulls to 4600 on the dyno.

So ya fixing the abs lamp is still priority...

Torque app reads all 4 abs wheel speeds. Don't know how valid this is or even really what to make of it...

On my drive home

Wheel1 reading in the 20's mph
Wheel2 in the 100's mph
Wheel3 no reading
Wheel4 no reading

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Pretty smart, love it.

Well your on track to melt something at that rate bro. You need to stop hammering on it.

Needs to be 11.0-11.4 in boost

12 is to high

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. If you google A/F ratios for boost and such it's said that 12.0 is considered the safe A/F for a boosted motor. I don't claim to be an expert or know all there is to know about it but my car's been running 11.8 ~ 12.0 A/F for 11 years with no issues and I hammer on my car pretty good.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
12 is a pretty aggressive air/fuel ratio. anything under 12 is safe... my opinion

but either way there is a problem and I think its more than one issue here...

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
Quick update..nothing conclusive, but after inspecting the abs sensors the rears are nice and clean (ya I know that doesn't mean too much). The fronts are completely gunked up. These are probably the two not getting a reading.

The plan was to datalog the abs sensors, then move them to see if the problem follows. Also this would tell me which sensor is wheel 1,2, etc...

Which brings me to my next discovery. When datalogging today my torque app was only getting a signal every few seconds. Which quickly turned into every couple mins. Until I was only getting one reading after unplugging and reconnecting the BT adapter. With no more readings at all.

To rule out the adapter, I put it in my focus and it reads like it should. So the app is working, the BT adapter is working, but the ecm isn't communicating... I guess?

Not sure if this has anything to do with my overall issue, but I do remember my app not reading consistently on Sunday at the dyno.

So brian97cobra you may be right... Probably more than just an abs issue going on here.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I would put an abs module in the car and then recheck things and see how it does.

That's my best educated guess from what all you have posted.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Not just the abs but everything. Rpm, volts, ect's, iat2's, timing, ect..... Only things working were the ones that use the apps accelerometer.

Ah. I have that problem when I datalog with my X3 and Live Link 6.x. It sucks. Gen II works longer but will still lock up after a few minutes, sometimes it'll go as long as 20 or 30 minutes without a lock up. Hit or miss. My bluetooth on the other hand hasn't been doing that.... knock on wood!! lol. It seems the variation of the ODB2 protocol used on our 03/04 cars is somewhat proprietary and I don't know if that's the source of the issues or what it is. Ford switched to fully compliant standards in 05. Although if you go read up on the ODB2 protocols there's at least 5 variations of the "standard" out there. It becomes a long complex topic I won't derail your thread with but I did a lot of reading up and research on it about a year ago when I built my own datalogging device that dumps the ODB2 data to either a serial stream or I2C complaint data and stored on an SD disk I could then later analyze at home on the laptop. I built it following ODB2 specs online intending to have a custom datalogging device with LCD display in my car but darn thing wouldn't work for crap. Finally out of frustration one day plugged it into my 07 BMW and it worked perfectly. That's when I started reading up on the differences in ODB2 protocols and various manufactures variations of the standards.

b_dike

Established Member
I would put an abs module in the car and then recheck things and see how it does.

That's my best educated guess from what all you have posted.

Thanks, that's what I'll be doing as soon as I have a little extra $.

Ah. I have that problem when I datalog with my X3 and Live Link 6.x. It sucks. Gen II works longer but will still lock up after a few minutes, sometimes it'll go as long as 20 or 30 minutes without a lock up. Hit or miss. My bluetooth on the other hand hasn't been doing that.... knock on wood!! lol. It seems the variation of the ODB2 protocol used on our 03/04 cars is somewhat proprietary and I don't know if that's the source of the issues or what it is. Ford switched to fully compliant standards in 05. Although if you go read up on the ODB2 protocols there's at least 5 variations of the "standard" out there. It becomes a long complex topic I won't derail your thread with but I did a lot of reading up and research on it about a year ago when I built my own datalogging device that dumps the ODB2 data to either a serial stream or I2C complaint data and stored on an SD disk I could then later analyze at home on the laptop. I built it following ODB2 specs online intending to have a custom datalogging device with LCD display in my car but darn thing wouldn't work for crap. Finally out of frustration one day plugged it into my 07 BMW and it worked perfectly. That's when I started reading up on the differences in ODB2 protocols and various manufactures variations of the standards.

Good to know, hopefully that's what's going on and not something more.

Users who are viewing this thread