Abs light + dyno day= fail

MalcolmV8

Established Member
but my money is not on a bad sensor but the abs unit itself. but again you can get just the electronic module and change it without even breaking open a brake line.

Yeah probably so. However it's quick and easy to just check each sensor. No fancy tools or scanner required. Could quickly eliminate that and then focus on diagnosing the main unit itself.

Brain (b_dike), I wonder if local auto parts stores have ABS scanners you could borrow? I know they'll read regular ODBII codes for free. Worth a couple phone calls and checking on that tomorrow.

b_dike

Established Member
I personally turn those off because ive seen them have issues on even at 7k....

Yeah probably so. However it's quick and easy to just check each sensor. No fancy tools or scanner required. Could quickly eliminate that and then focus on diagnosing the main unit itself.

Brain (b_dike), I wonder if local auto parts stores have ABS scanners you could borrow? I know they'll read regular ODBII codes for free. Worth a couple phone calls and checking on that tomorrow.

From what I've been reading the local parts stores don't have those kinds of readers as they are very expensive. A larger more established shop or a dealership should though...

I'm also betting on the abs module based on some quick searches.

Also found some mentioning of a fail safe feature. Sounds like bad info to me, but might be worth investigating further.

cj428mach

Established Member
A friend was trying to convert his 02 WS6 trans am from traction control to non traction control. Midas would read ABS codes for free, and he ultimately ended up finding out his torque app on his smart phone would read them and even read the output from his ABS sensors. I don't have a smart phone but nearly everyone else does so I hope that helps.

Zemedici

Established Member
So much misinformation in this thread. If it's coming on intermittently, it's normally the module failing. (Do a quick search and you'll find its a big Problem with our cars) a sensor will normally just fail, it won't go out slowly like a computer/module will. My car did the same thing. The car turns off traction control as part of the abs light being on, but it has some other quirks as well, one of which could be limiting the power although I've never heard of that. Just snag up a used module off the market section and be done with it.

b_dike

Established Member
So much misinformation in this thread. If it's coming on intermittently, it's normally the module failing. (Do a quick search and you'll find its a big Problem with our cars) a sensor will normally just fail, it won't go out slowly like a computer/module will. My car did the same thing. The car turns off traction control as part of the abs light being on, but it has some other quirks as well, one of which could be limiting the power although I've never heard of that. Just snag up a used module off the market section and be done with it.

It was intermittent at first (last year), but for the last several months it's been a solid lamp right after engine start.

Also what misinformation are you referring to?

And can I even confirm it's an abs fault that kept the car from spinning up all the way on the dyno???

Zemedici

Established Member
It was intermittent at first (last year), but for the last several months it's been a solid lamp right after engine start.

Also what misinformation are you referring to?

And can I even confirm it's an abs fault that kept the car from spinning up all the way on the dyno???

that's how modules/computers fail, slowly. Sensors go bad and that's it, they're done. Its the abs module, I've had to replace mine, my buddy's had to replace his, and another friends light is on in his mach, its a common problem. Why not just snag a module, fix the problem, and re-dyno?

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I was having a similar problem recently. It started to come on just like yours after I did a rolling second gear burn out...I figured out the problem and I think it coming on when I did the burn out was just a freak thing. Anyways it turned out to be my passenger side front sensor. It was rubbing against the strut boot and freighed the line.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
Here's a pic
ytuberu7.jpg

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'm going to say module my 01 Cobra had the same symptoms except the dyno and when we tried to pull codes it couldn't communicate with the module.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member

Yea what misinformation have i given. Seeing as I wad a master tech for ford and have all the tools and knowledge I'd say I gave great info.

Also your wrong dead ass wrong... sensors can work intermittently also. So the misinformation is from YOU.

b_dike

Established Member

I'm going to say module my 01 Cobra had the same symptoms except the dyno and when we tried to pull codes it couldn't communicate with the module.

This is what scares me... The abs I can probably fix (sensor/ module) easy enough. It's the car cutting out a 4600rpm each and every time, but only on the dyno. Still have yet to find an explanation for this.

FYI it cut out just like it would with trac control on.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
This is what scares me... The abs I can probably fix (sensor/ module) easy enough. It's the car cutting out a 4600rpm each and every time, but only on the dyno. Still have yet to find an explanation for this.

FYI it cut out just like it would with trac control on.

So did you jack the rear wheels up and try to see what happened?

b_dike

Established Member

So did you jack the rear wheels up and try to see what happened?

Not yet, though I did do a burnout at work. Everything seemed normal... Car reved just fine, i only went to 5k but still.

I just got home so give me a few, and I'll get it up off the ground and try what you suggested.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yea what misinformation have i given. Seeing as I wad a master tech for ford and have all the tools and knowledge I'd say I gave great info.

Also your wrong dead ass wrong... sensors can work intermittently also. So the misinformation is from YOU.

Who said anything about you? Self-Conscious much? hahahahahahahahahahaha

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Who said anything about you? Self-Conscious much? hahahahahahahahahahaha

you are the one that made the blanket statement of "so much wrong information in here"

so that implies that everyone was giving bad info.

if your going to insult and point blame then you need to be more specific as to what info was wrong. lastly if your going to give info then at least post facts and not that bs you posted about sensors.

im not self-conscious I just have a very low tolerance for bs and misinformation. you provided both.....

b_dike

Established Member

Ran through the gears, got to 4th held it @3500. Punched and reved all the way to 7k without issue.

P.S. kind of scary, don't really wanna do that again. Plus my neighbors are all starting to come outside lol

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
^^ haha that's what o/r x and stingers will do! I wonder if the extra load from being strapped down has anything to do with it?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Ran through the gears, got to 4th held it @3500. Punched and reved all the way to 7k without issue.

P.S. kind of scary, don't really wanna do that again. Plus my neighbors are all starting to come outside lol

what kinda coils do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread