ABS light on???

MY DREAM

Established Member
So, my ABS light has been on for a few weeks now. Did a search on the forum, didnt find the cause of mine yet. I cleaned all the sensours and the cog wheel, cleaned the plug that goes into the ABS unit, Checked front and rear pads....more than 50% left on both. Slamed the brakes a few times..the ABS seems to work fine. Just hate having the darn light on and not knowing whats the problem. I thing that the next time I get a chance to I will just cruise it over to the dealership and have them read the code for me, then go from thier. I'm hoping that it is just a bad sensour.

James

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
So, my ABS light has been on for a few weeks now. Did a search on the forum, didnt find the cause of mine yet. I cleaned all the sensours and the cog wheel, cleaned the plug that goes into the ABS unit, Checked front and rear pads....more than 50% left on both. Slamed the brakes a few times..the ABS seems to work fine. Just hate having the darn light on and not knowing whats the problem. I thing that the next time I get a chance to I will just cruise it over to the dealership and have them read the code for me, then go from thier. I'm hoping that it is just a bad sensour.

James

Fill your Brake Fluid Reservoir. Your problem should disappear. :coolman:

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
general testing, should still apply:

put car on 4 jackstands...
turn ignition on, engine off
spin a wheel as fast as you can by hand and see if the abs light comes on - it should
turn off ignition, turn back on, make sure light is off..
repeat until you find a wheel that doesn't trigger a light, that's your problem

check the voltage from the abs controller to the sensors -
use voltmeter set to DC and check each plug going to each sensor.. i don't know what the voltage should be but look for one that is off from the rest

check the wheel sensors -
use ohm setting and check each sensor.. see if one has a different reading from the others..
also check to see that the sensors aren't grounded

set voltmeter to AC and check wheel sensor - spin the wheel and see that AC voltage is produced

check for cracked sensor rings

you may be able to pull the abs codes yourself... google that.. I've never looked into it so I don't know if a scanner is needed

MY DREAM

Established Member
As soon as I start the car the ABS light is on. When I turn the key to the on position it is on along with a few other lights that are normally on untill I start it, then they go out.....all but the ABS. Checked all the rings when I cleaned them and the sensors.

I don't mean to sound lazy, but thats a lot of work to when I could just roll it to the dealer and have them pull the code for me to tell me what is wrong.....or is that going to cost me $300?

James

general testing, should still apply:

put car on 4 jackstands...
turn ignition on, engine off
spin a wheel as fast as you can by hand and see if the abs light comes on - it should
turn off ignition, turn back on, make sure light is off..
repeat until you find a wheel that doesn't trigger a light, that's your problem

check the voltage from the abs controller to the sensors -
use voltmeter set to DC and check each plug going to each sensor.. i don't know what the voltage should be but look for one that is off from the rest

check the wheel sensors -
use ohm setting and check each sensor.. see if one has a different reading from the others..
also check to see that the sensors aren't grounded

set voltmeter to AC and check wheel sensor - spin the wheel and see that AC voltage is produced

check for cracked sensor rings

you may be able to pull the abs codes yourself... google that.. I've never looked into it so I don't know if a scanner is needed

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
So last nigh comming home from school I had to brake hard and go off the freeway a bit to avoid what I believe to be miltiple blown truck tires in both lanes. As I braked I went to the left as I was in the left lane, my front left tire went into the dirt at about 15 mph (hard braking) and the tire started to lock up causeing the ABS to work as designed. The ABS worked and the ABS light went out and remained off for the rest of my 42 mile drive. Got in the car this morning and guess what???The damn light is back on again. WTF!?!?!?!/

James

Users who are viewing this thread