ABS module help

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
OK, I checked the wires on each sensor and they're good (I wondered if I overextended them while working on my suspension). I bled the brakes several times. My ABS light was still on so I took it to the Ford dealership. I was told my ABS module wasn't communicating w/their computer. They quoted me $1100+ :fm:. I know I can get it cheaper through Tousley but I'd rather save even more money.

Anyone have any experience w/the ABS control module? I don't even know where it is. My Haynes book just says to take it to the dealer since the system is so critical. I'm wondering if I can just get one at a salvage yard. Is it the thing on top of the ABS system motor that the wires plug into? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Are you sure it's just not a bad or dirty speed sensor? Pretty common issue. They are about 30 - 40 bucks a piece at schucks. I know I have a bad sensor somewhere as my ABS light comes on everytime I drive the car. Heck, at this point, I'm used to the stupid thing being on.

Yeah man my abs module has been bad since 2004. I have never replaced it because it is so damn expensive for just the part alone. If you buy one used they are still around $250-$400. Ive never even looked into the installation process of the abs module but I can look and see if I can find something.

O also if you do replace it with a used one you need to make sure you buy one for the cobra and not a gt as they are different. The cobra ones seem to be more expensive as well.

cobraracer46

Banned
Is it the thing on top of the ABS system motor that the wires plug into? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The ABS computer module is located on top of the transmission tunnel below the dash. The Hydraulic ABS control modual is the part you are thinking of, but that is not the part this falling to "communicate".

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
The dealer said that the Modual is not communicating with the scan tool so replacing a wheel speed sensor will not solve this problem.:poke:

Sometimes (alot of times) dealerships are full of crap just to try to run you through as much of the ringer as possible to take your money. Always worth troubleshooting yourself if you have the patience. :poke:

cobraracer46

Banned
Sometimes (alot of times) dealerships are full of crap just to try to run you through as much of the ringer as possible to take your money. Always worth troubleshooting yourself if you have the patience. :poke:
If you want diagnose the ABS system your self, be aware that you are going to spend a lot of money on a scan tool that can talk to ABS Modual. If you get your hands a real shop manual and not the garbage books from the local 2 bit auto parts chain, then it is possible to diagnose a ABS system properly.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Are you sure it's just not a bad or dirty speed sensor? Pretty common issue.
I was psyched when I read a previous thread that mentioned that dirty sensors can turn on the ABS idiot light. But, after I cleaned them it was still on.

The ABS computer module is located on top of the transmission tunnel below the dash. The Hydraulic ABS control modual is the part you are thinking of, but that is not the part this falling to "communicate".
Thanks! I'll make sure all the electrical connections are good first. So if it's Cobra specific, I bet it won't be easy to find at a salvage yard.

Users who are viewing this thread