ABS Problem

JoeJ

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I wanted to update you on the ABS problem I am having with my Cobra R. On Sunday at Gingerman, I had a ABS light come on and at the end of the front straight I was locking up and smoking my rear tires under heavy braking.

After I got back to Houston, I took the car to Kenny Bumbera to see if he would solve the problem. The codes showed I had a bad rear driver side speed sensor. They installed a new sensor and cleared the codes, took it out for a drive and the ABS light came back on. The code showed a bad wheel speed sensor on the other side. Hmmm..They installed a new sensor, cleared the code and after a short drive, the ABS light came on again. This time it showed that the traction control was off..Hmm...the car doesnt have traction control.....Anyway, the bottom line is I probably have a bad ABS electronic module...Man, that sucks, as I have already changed one out about 11/2 years ago. It is not a cheap item..Oh well, the cost of running a car which has no warranty.

Has anyone else had a ABS electronic module fail? It must be due to the heat...Not sure what the solution is?

I am taking the car to Tommy Vaughn, a SVT dealer, on Monday. It you install a new module, you have to use a lap top computer to activate the ABS motor and run thru a set sequence to have the ABS operate properly.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Joe,

All I know is the ABS is very picky about a good ground at the wheel sensor. Make sure the sensor is grounding well in the socket it fits into.

Tom

LogiWorld123

Established Member
I was under the impression that ford parts had a 12 mo/12000 mile warranty regardless of whether the car is under warranty.

But you are 1.5 years out though, so there goes that notion. Good morning!

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
I was under the impression that ford parts had a 12 mo/12000 mile warranty regardless of whether the car is under warranty.

But you are 1.5 years out though, so there goes that notion. Good morning!

I'm pretty sure, it's 90days on parts from a dealer. I'll check Mon.

Gene

JoeJ

Established Member
Hey Guys,
My 2000 Cobra R is back home and the ABS is working properly..You will never guess what the problem was. Tommie Vaughn Ford here in Houston called last night and said that I had worn a hole thru the driver side fender liner and got into the wire bundle. It wore thru four wires and that caused the ABS fault. My oh my..Is guess the 3 deg negative camber was just too much with the 285/30 x18 tires on the front. I also believe that I need heavier springs in the front to keep the nose dive down under heavy braking.
At least I did not have an ABS electronic module problem.. They repaired the broken wires, moved the wire bundle up away from the inner fender liner, and the car is now ready to rock and roll...lol

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I guess that's a good reminder for the rest of us. Glad you're back in business again Joe!!!:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Andy M

Established Member
Now its time for me to bring mine in to see what MY ABS problem is? not sure if I am having the same problem Joe was, but I will check that asap...

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Joe:

I had the inner fender liner out of the left front side of the car today. (don't ask!)

I think i saw the area you are referring to? Is it directly on top of the left front tire just at the back side of the shock? I put a piece of slit heater hose over that wire loom and zip tied the bejebbers out of it but that is going to make the inner fender hang down that much more now. :( I did have some very slight rubbing there but it wasn't really too bad. I'm running a pretty small tire in front though?

Thanks again for the heads up!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread