ABS Pump Unit Died

Mac06

Established Member
My 99 cobra started loosing brake fluid, it would drain the brake reservoir in about 5 miles. I took it to a good shop I have used before and they said the ABS pump unit was pouring brake fluid out the bottom of it when the brake was applied. The shop found another used one for $568 and I told them to get it since I know they parts are hard to find. My question is should I try to find someone to repair the old pump unit? Does anyone know if these can be fixed? Also is the 99 cobra pump the same one that was used in the 99-04 GT or 03-04 cobras?

mystang

Established Member
There is a place that rebuilds them for around $100. I have one from a 2000 GT auto in my Cobra- I'm sure there may be slight differences in programming but it's subtle enough where I haven't noticed a difference.

Edit: Sorry they rebuild the electronics; I'm not sure about repairing the issues yours had.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
My 99 cobra started loosing brake fluid, it would drain the brake reservoir in about 5 miles. I took it to a good shop I have used before and they said the ABS pump unit was pouring brake fluid out the bottom of it when the brake was applied. The shop found another used one for $568 and I told them to get it since I know they parts are hard to find. My question is should I try to find someone to repair the old pump unit? Does anyone know if these can be fixed? Also is the 99 cobra pump the same one that was used in the 99-04 GT or 03-04 cobras?

Had same issue a few years ago...bought a used one from an 03 Cobra for about $80 on Ebay....Had someone install it for about $100.00?

I have heard they can be rebuilt but thought they it was closer to $200? Also...if you are pouring out brake fluid, I would suspect the unit is toast...brake fluid my have gotten onto the electronics.

Search SVTP forums here....I KNOW there is a at least one good thread about the well known Cobra ABS unit failures issue

Zemedici

Established Member
Snag up a used one. Common problem with the cobras and machs, they're for sale all the time in the market section. Easy install.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430614512.636205.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread