AC Compressor

dpancer

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of replacing my ac compressor, condenser, and drier just to ensure that all components are working at 100% since im running a killer chiller. My compressor has made a sort of grinding sound recently and i added a bit of oil to it to see if that was the problem. it seems like the sound went down a bit. However, I'm just looking into replacing it all to be safe.

now does anybody have any experience with aftermarket ac parts for the cobra? specifically the compressors. There are many on the market and would like some help narrowing down a replacement.

hope you guys can help

These three are the ones that seem most promising:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Ford/Mustang/GPD/A-fs-C_Compressor/2003/SVT_Cobra/8_Cyl_4-dot-6L/GPD6511447.html

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Ford/Mustang/Spectra/A-fs-C_Compressor/2003/SVT_Cobra/8_Cyl_4-dot-6L/SPI0658129.htm

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Ford/Mustang/4-Seasons/A-fs-C_Compressor/2003/SVT_Cobra/8_Cyl_4-dot-6L/FS58129.html

svtshadow

Banned
Yeah dude that compressor of yours is going out. Hopefully you get it fixed before it seizes and takes out the inner belt and a couple of pulleys. I learnt that the hard way LOL

I replaced mine with a NAPA unit 5-6 years ago, and never hard a problem with it.

oldmodman

Established Member
Has the compressor failed to the point that it is spitting metal particles into the AC hoses?

You may have to either get everything flushed or even replace everything if it has suffered the black death that ruins everything in the system.

But by replacing all the parts you will be replacing the only thing you will have to flush is the heat exchanger in the dash which shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to pull a vacuum then fill it with nitrogen. Then pull a vacuum again and then do you freon fill. Don't add the oil until the second vacuum. The first vacuum is to remove every trace of the flush (very important and a of shops don't bother).

dpancer

Established Member
Has the compressor failed to the point that it is spitting metal particles into the AC hoses?

You may have to either get everything flushed or even replace everything if it has suffered the black death that ruins everything in the system.

But by replacing all the parts you will be replacing the only thing you will have to flush is the heat exchanger in the dash which shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to pull a vacuum then fill it with nitrogen. Then pull a vacuum again and then do you freon fill. Don't add the oil until the second vacuum. The first vacuum is to remove every trace of the flush (very important and a of shops don't bother).

Hold up, hold up. I never said my compressor failed completely. It was only making a grinding sound a little after I filled it up, after I put in the killer killer. About a month ago I added a bit more oil to the system and added another can of refrigerant ( to make a grand total of 3 6 ounce cans). just yesterday I did a little bit of radiator work and was under the car for a while listening to the compressor. right now I don't hear that grinding noise anymore so I assume it was an oil issue. However I'm still thinking that I want to change the compressor condenser and dryer just to be safe. I spoke to the creator of the killer trailer who suggested now would be a good time to replace the condenser as its 10 years old, that's where I'm getting the idea to replace not just the condenser but the whole system. The system seems to be cooling properly as it should be, so I'm probably just worrying for nothing. In 91 degrees temperatures my IAT2s held at around 110. After really beating the hell out of the car, with the AC off for a bit, they went to one 137 and then dropped down to 115 within 5 min right after the AC was turned on. From the time it went from 137 to 115 it was not blowing cold air on the inside. Engine temps went from 226 to215 in that time. I'm running a misimoto radiator, which I'm planning on swapping back to a stockfor temp improvements.

thanks for the tips on flushing and blowing the system through with nitrogen.

Last edited:

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
I recently replaced my AC compressor, drier, and orfice. Its a pretty easy swap I found a new motorcraft compressor off Amazon like using factory parts or try to find a reman with a really good or lifetime warranty.

While your systems apart if you already haven't, switch to the GM white .072 orfice for better results over factory. Are you running r134a or Industrial 12a (r134a replacement)? Its cools much better and would be a good time to change.

Make sure you replace all o rings and insure the system holds a vacuum, be careful not to add to much pag oil when refilling the system. Good luck:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread