Ac- heat help

cobra199711

Established Member
I come home after a few weeks out and now the ac doesn't work? I think the compressor is done. I had it serviced last summer and the tech told me im on borrowed time. The unit is 9 years old, worst case how much $$$$?? Thanks

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Need more info. Do you need a new compressor? what capacity in BTU's? R-22 or R410A? Nine year old AC systems are repairable. Is it a heat pump? Most compressors can be had for $600-900 depending on the capacity. A good technician can have one changed in 2-3 hours. I've changed hundred of compressors, I usually charge $1,000 to $1,400 depending on the compressor's capacity, the greater the capacity the more $$$.

cobra199711

Established Member
Ill let you know Monday, that's when I get my first estimate. Last year the tech told me I would need a new compressor. I'm just glad it's not hot yet whewwwww. Thanks for the reply

NELCO

Established Member
I need more info? Is the compressor trying to start? Does the indoor fan run? Does the compressor run but not the condenser fan motor? Is the thermostat working?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Scan the service ticket and post it up for review, I want to read what the servicing tech found in his diagnosis.

Lots of scammers out there, some people prey on others ignorance costing thousands of unnecessary dollars being spent. Air conditioning is one of those arenas where most of the general public have no clue what they're looking at.

If we can save you $$$ it will be worth the time.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I've had Hard Start and Capitators go out in our old home. Lots of times either of those can be the issue, not just the compressor.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is this a whole house unit? If so, even the cheaper brands like Arcoaire are usually good for 15 years on average. 9 years with a compressor sounds very low. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that one of my compressors is on borrowed time and the second one is only a tad better. I have my A/C guys coming tomorrow to replace both of my 2-ton Arcoaire units (with R-22) that are about 18 years old. I've known the company owner for many years so I do trust what he tells me. I'm replacing them with Trane units (with R410A).

Users who are viewing this thread