AC/Killer Chiller questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I picked up an 03 a few weeks ago n ive been having some issues with the AC/killer chiller not performing the way id expect n need some help. Had a buddy hook up his AC machine in his shop n vacuum tested n recharged for me to the 2.2lbs as listed in the bay. The post blower colant temp is reading around 66° per the gauge when its around 80° out, n it seems like the fans is cycling on and off all the time. Got a video I'll post below to see if anyone can tell me if its normal behavior or if I need to replace something. Any help is highly appreciated.I

https://youtu.be/s5DIjk9KzCg

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
My kc took alittle more then 2.2lbs there's a equation kc uses to find out how much r134 you need

B4 chiller 90* night
null_zps31a5bd3d.jpg

After 80* night
null_zpsed814c67.jpg

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
2.8 x ambient temp = your high side you need to see

2.8 x 80* = 224 psi my cab temps were 39*

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Ill add some more to the system and see what she does, will have to pick up a gauge to read the high side.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Got a set of gauges from Harbor freight last night, High side was right around 250 @ 90 degrees outside, but the low side was around 45ish. Did a little bit more digging, looks like the AC compressor is not disengaging the clutch at all. The fans kick off and the Clutch still spins. I thought it was maybe the low pressure switch, so i unhooked it and the clutch stopped spinning, went and got a new switch but the same behavior still exists. Coolish air inside but not cold, Inter cooler temps deff not dropping. its around 90 again today and the post blower coolant temp was 80-85. Any thoughts?

lastmanstanding

Established Member
When the a/c is on the fan needs to stay on. If not the high side pressure will get too high and in cabin vent temp will go up. Spray water on the condenser while the a/c is on and see if pressure and temp go down. You may need to add a pusher fan to help with airflow to the condenser.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I forgot to come back and update this but after a little more troubleshooting I noticed the low speed fan was not kicking on when the AC was turned on. Tested the voltage in the different parts of the system and found the low speed fan resistor was burned out. Replaced it and all is well.

stangfreak

Established Member
Do you guys feel a difference in power when the kC is on after cruising around town on a hot day getting heat soaked?

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I'm still on the fence about my KC even after getting the fan working and AC going,but I may still have an issue and ill probably wait till winter to mess with it.

I can feel a power different with it on vs off, and the coolant temp shows difference as well.

Cruising around KC off post-blower coolant temp = 115-125 (depends on ambient temp)

Cruising around KC on post blower coolant temp = 75-85 (depending on ambient temp)

Sitting still with the KC on i can get it a few degrees lower but not a huge change

I would think if the post blower coolant temps are 75-85 degrees in the return hose coming off the blower into the reservoir, they would have to be a lot cooler going into the blower before they warm up.

The AC in the car still doesn't work as i would expect it to in comparison to a stock setup, which is why i think i may still have an issue somewhere. Sitting still the AC is almost useless, you really have to be cruising around to get it to drop enough to say its blowing cool air. Having the AC on also makes my engine coolant temps way higher, which may be another issue in itself.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I also have a HE bypass in place but have not messed with it yet, so all of these reading are with the HE in place.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
There is definitely still an issue. My in car AC is still ice cold. The fluid in my IC expansion tank will be 35-45 degrees depending on outside temps.

bigmoose

Established Member
I have my KC on all the time with a bypassed HE. I have the same results as whitedevil95, ice cold in the cabin and the tank. I did replace all my stock HE lines and rerouted them, which made a big difference. I don't have #s but it went from cool to ice cold. The stock HE hard lines are sitting behind the radiator and soaking up so much heat. I routed mine out of the way. See my thread here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1034212-Upgraded-my-Intercooler-lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread