Accelerator Pedal HORROR STORY

USMC0341

Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Pictures of this unit (the new carpet guard) would be nice... ;-)

:??:

recall.gif

EJ23

Established Member
1. Fix your shit if it's sticking! My God... :bash:

2. Don't lay all over the limiter! Want a new motor? Well more than likely, but you know what I mean.

3. I've stalled a number of times, and don't lose my brakes. You just have to hit 'em a little harder. Power steering...well, I don't have a problem turning the car when it stalls. It's harder but not that hard. :shrug:

Last edited:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Why in hell do people insist on bringing old dead posts, especially ones dealing with subjects that everyone should know about by now, back from the dead?

-Jeff

Sorry Jeff, it's my falut man. I just wanted to see a pict or 2 before the dealer puts the ugly thing in my carpet... ;-)

DeuceSVT

Established Member
Bought mine used last April. I got the recall in the mail last month, i totally forgot about it. Had to get it in stalled >_>

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I cut the carpet...still did it...called tousley ford 8 bucks later and 1 minute install...all fixed...

kens88gt

Established Member
Is there a time limit on the recall or does it matter that you are not the original owner of the car?

deec73

Established Member
Why in hell do people insist on bringing old dead posts, especially ones dealing with subjects that everyone should know about by now, back from the dead?

-Jeff

Have you ever thought about him maybe being a NEW Cobra owner? Not everyone on here bought their cars back in 02/03 when they first came out. :burn:

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
I have an 03 redfire (I mention this because apparently this is most common with 04s) and I'm trying to imagine exactly what is going on. So is it that the bolt behind the gas pedal gets caught on the carpeting? I have some weather guard floormats in my car, that should stop any chance of happening to me correct? Or am I missing something? I rarely floor my car but if I ever do, I don't want it to stay there against my discretion!

Maverick-4

Established Member
I have an 03 redfire (I mention this because apparently this is most common with 04s) and I'm trying to imagine exactly what is going on. So is it that the bolt behind the gas pedal gets caught on the carpeting? I have some weather guard floormats in my car, that should stop any chance of happening to me correct? Or am I missing something? I rarely floor my car but if I ever do, I don't want it to stay there against my discretion!

I have yet to have this happen to me in any of my mustangs but it is VERY possible.

To me part of the problem lies with the fact that the pedal assembly is weak and bends out of shape from heavy use (its just stamped metal). My solution was to remove the pedal assembly, bend it back into shape (to stop before it touches the floor) and welded the back of it which made it stronger preventing it from deforming again. (you can also reach in there and literally bend the pedal back into shape by gently pulling on it, thats how easy to bend it is, just bend it back into shape to keep it off the floor when you WOT)

I also recommend removing the slack from the accelerator pedal (search for the mod, its super easy) this will also greatly help from the pedal hitting and possibly getting stuck to the floor rug or car mat.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member

I know you may catch some heat for reviving an ancient thread but I had never heard of this issue. I am going to check my 04 to see if it has been fixed.

Thanks

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I think it is absolutely B.S. that Ford has not addressed this. No way they don't know about it. It has happened too frequently for it to be an isolated issue. This is downright dangerous. Imagine the motor hung up at redline with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I just go ballistic when I keep reading about safety issues like this that Ford turns their back to. I guess they didn't learn their lesson from the Firestone tire fiasco.
:fm:

Wasnt this a service bulletin/recall/whatever you call it,? My 04 Cobra has a plastic plate that is bolted behind the gas pedal to keep it from getting stuck on the carpet.

Found this, its a few down from the top: 2004 FORD MUSTANG Problems

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member

Wow, this is an old thread...way before I bought mine. If you didn't read the whole thread and are concerned, look under you gas pedal. If there's a metal formed plate, you have the fix. If not, then go to your local dealer and inform them...it's a safety issue and it's free. When I bought mine in 2008 from the first owner, Ford sent ME a letter informing me this hadn't been done to my car. I had my local dealer order the parts and instructions and did it myself...I think most dealers will insist on doing it though b/c of liability purposes but I don't like dealerships and mine was cool about it.

Users who are viewing this thread